Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What would cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What would cause this?

So I pulled my trans to install a new clutch kit, slave, flywheel, and pilot bearing. I found what appeared to be a factory clutch kit (LUK) from my understanding but it seems odd. I haven't seen one look like this in terms of wear. I'm unsure of the amount of miles on this clutch because I have only had the car for the last year and 4,xxx miles I have put on it. I do know that the individual I bought the car from beat the hell out of it. I put about 20 miles a day on it and 16 are all highway so I don't think its anything I did. Here are a few pics. Let me know what you guys think. It almost feels and looks like someone smeared anti seeze on the flywheel and disc...

Presure plate:

Pressure plate side of disc:

Flywheel:

Flywheel side of disc:

Old 12-12-2011, 05:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like an oil leak.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris
Looks like an oil leak.
The engine isn't leaking anything.... And the slave wasn't either... Interesting.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see some type of fluid on the flywheel around the bolts. Maybe the plug in the back of your crankshaft behind the pilot bearing is leaking. It definately looks like the friction material is oil soaked.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
I can see some type of fluid on the flywheel around the bolts. Maybe the plug in the back of your crankshaft behind the pilot bearing is leaking. It definately looks like the friction material is oil soaked.
Everything on the back of the engine is clean. When I broke the flywheel bolts loose they seemed to leak a little oil as if the threads were oiled but other than that it was dry. The bellhousing is also dry and crusted with black dust. It's possible it had a leak at one time and they just reinstalled the clutch?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Everything on the back of the engine is clean. When I broke the flywheel bolts loose they seemed to leak a little oil as if the threads were oiled but other than that it was dry. The bellhousing is also dry and crusted with black dust. It's possible it had a leak at one time and they just reinstalled the clutch?
Looks like oil or some kind of fluid in the pic. Both on the flywheel where it bolts to the crank and on the flywheel side of the disk. Since the Pressure Plate side of the disk looks fine I would say it is oil and not hydraulic fluid.

Listen to Jeremy, If he isn't spot on then he is on the right track. Better to fix it now than chance it with a new clutch and ruin it.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
It is possible that they fixed it and reinstalled it. But it wouldn't make much sense to slap the same oil soaked disk back in the car unless they were just doing a hack and patch job to get the back up and running to sell it.

I would pull the pilot bearing out, clean the hole in the back of the crank VERY well with brake cleaner and a rag. Check and make sure that plug isn't loose or cocked sideways for some reason. If it is loose or crooked then it will need to be pulled out and replaced (which isn't fun). If it is tight and straight take some RTV and seal around the plug. Then when reinstalling your flywheel bolts add some loctit to the threads to seal them up.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is possible that they fixed it and reinstalled it. But it wouldn't make much sense to slap the same oil soaked disk back in the car unless they were just doing a hack and patch job to get the back up and running to sell it.

I would pull the pilot bearing out, clean the hole in the back of the crank VERY well with brake cleaner and a rag. Check and make sure that plug isn't loose or cocked sideways for some reason. If it is loose or crooked then it will need to be pulled out and replaced (which isn't fun). If it is tight and straight take some RTV and seal around the plug. Then when reinstalling your flywheel bolts add some loctit to the threads to seal them up.
Will do. And I may just post up a pic of the back if the engine for more clarification.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Take pics of the back of the Engine..
Old 12-15-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

So after pulling the clutch out I haven't been under the car again until last night when I took these pictures. The black stuff in the picture behind the pilot bearing was chunks of metal. I just used a magnet to get them out. I still haven't had the time to pull out the pilot bearing but I plan to do that later today if I can. Where do you guys think the oil is coming from?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, I don't know if it helps but, my input shaft has no oil on it.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Well it looks like the rear main seal is fairly dry and I don't see any oil behind the pilot. But I do see that your pilot bearing is totally trashed. So that is where the chunks of metal came from. Post some pictures of the nose of the input shaft too. It might be very worn.

The fluid could have been from a failed slave cylinder too. Its really hard to say for sure where it came from tho without a current leak.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well it looks like the rear main seal is fairly dry and I don't see any oil behind the pilot. But I do see that your pilot bearing is totally trashed. So that is where the chunks of metal came from. Post some pictures of the nose of the input shaft too. It might be very worn.

The fluid could have been from a failed slave cylinder too. Its really hard to say for sure where it came from tho without a current leak.
When I originally bought the car I flushed the fluid and as I was flushing it, fluid was leaking from the hole in the bottom of the bellhousing... If it was a slave leak, wouldnt the slave be covered? Yeah I know the bearing is trashed I just haven't rented the tool to pull it out. Also, would a slave leak cause only the flywheel side of the disc to be oil soaked?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Is the Pressure Plate wet?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
Is the Pressure Plate wet?
No it isn't as seen in the picture of it on the first post.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled the pilot bearing out and there was no oil behind it or on it. There was plenty of metal that was in a powder like form. I posted a picture of both sides of the bearing if that helps. I assume that the crank plug is behind the pilot bearing but I don't know. The only oil that is easy to see is in the flywheel bolt holes, and as soon as I broke the bolts loose they started leaking. Is it possible that my leak was from around the flywheel bolts? Is that possible. A rear main seal set is like $20 dollars so I may go ahead and replace it anyway but I just don't want to put it all back together if you guys think it may be the crank plug. I'm unsure of where that is located. I posted up a few pics if it helps any one and I also added one of the input shaft as requested.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:42 PM
FormerVendor

Wow you got lucky with that input shaft. It's worn but not excessively. Clean it up with some emry cloth or a scotch bright pad befor you put it back in.

My only deduction is that the car had a previous rear main seal leak. They replaced the seal but didn't replace the oil soaked disk. I'd say put a generous amount thread locker on the flywheel bolts, new pilot bearing, new clutch and bolt it all back up.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow you got lucky with that input shaft. It's worn but not excessively. Clean it up with some emry cloth or a scotch bright pad befor you put it back in.

My only deduction is that the car had a previous rear main seal leak. They replaced the seal but didn't replace the oil soaked disk. I'd say put a generous amount thread locker on the flywheel bolts, new pilot bearing, new clutch and bolt it all back up.
I will do that with the input shaft and thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to sit and help me. Is there a way I could look and see if the seal is original or not? You can see a name brand on it in one of the pictures I posted. A whole new clutch setup is going in it. I ordered a monster stage one clutch with the new slave option along with a tick master cylinder and pro 5.0 shifter. So do you think it might be worth $20 to just install a new rear main seal? I'm already this far... I just find it weird that as soon as I broke the flywheel bolts loose they started leaking oil from around them.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Put a Pilot Bushing in it, not a Bearing..if it goes to **** it wont destroy the Input Shaft. You can get them from Orielly's for $3...I have one in my car and bought spares.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:58 PM
FormerVendor

DO NOT USE A BUSHING! T56 transmissions hate bushings. We have had many customers have high RPM shifting issues and they all had bushings in them. Replaced the bushing and the high RPM shift issue was gone. The bushing dragging on the input doesn't allow a complete power seperation when the clutch is disengauged so it causes the the synchro rings to do more work since there is still power being transfered through the input shaft.

You're welcome. That's what I'm here for. It doesn't look like an original LS1 seal to me. I'd put a new one in while it's apart. The reason oil leaked out of the bolt holes is because they are drilled all the way through the crank and open into the crank case. The bolts don't go down all the way to the end of the threads so there was some oil sitting in the threads. When you pulled the bolts out the oil leaked out.

Quick Reply: What would cause this?