Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Completely stumped (clutch drag)...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Completely stumped (clutch drag)...

Bought RPM Stage V BW T56 along with Spec Stage 3+ clutch and Spec billet steel flywheel and installed along with a bronze bushing.
Since then I've had what appears to be some sort of driveline drag issue.
While car is on the ground and in neutral with clutch out, depress clutch and then put into gear the car will lurch forward a few inches. However once the lurching is done with the clutch still depressed it can then go into any gear. If clutch is let out and depressed the entire process starts again. It seems like power is only temporarily transferred and then it's fine.
While car is in the air and the same test is done in any gear, tires move forward, stop and then any gear can be selected w/out movement. Take clutch out again, depress the whole process starts over.
Car has been on the ground and revved to 6K RPM with clutch depressed and in gear and car does not move.
Took trans off. Input shaft was chewed up and bushing was reamed out. Figured the fitment may have been too tight. So a kevlar bushing was used instead. Same result. Only had the bushing in for a few minutes of run time but the markings on the input shaft could already be seen that the clearance between the two was not right.
Trans out again and pilot bearing put into place. Same thing. Car has yet to be on the ground, but the same exact behavior is taking place as before.
Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and trans have been sent to their respective manufacturers and all reportedly checks out fine. If anyone has any ideas they are greatly welcomed. I've been fighting this for a long time on my own and have not come up with any solid ideas what's going on.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the clearance between the input and any of the pilots before instal?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Village Troll

Only on the kevlar after it was installed.

Input shaft- .586
I/D bushing- .597
Old 01-04-2012, 12:05 PM
FormerVendor

Due to the fact that the shaft is contacting/binding with every pilot bearing/bushing installed I can't help but qonder if the front trans bearing is shot or if the shaft itself is bent. Have you checked the shaft for play? When doing so did you notice any eccentricity or bend?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Village Troll

Input shaft has been out and turned. The play in the shaft is less than it was with my old transmission. When the trans is put into place it goes on without issue and completely flush with the bellhousing dowels. The mystery lies in why power is only transferred temporarily when putting into gear. If it were a bent input shaft I would think that power transfer into the trans would be constant. It's going to be all taken out and looked over... again.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What bell housing? check that for centerline and if its not parallel. ya something up with why its tearing up the parts. its not happy.

Any what oil pan to? Is this a swap car/engine or somthing?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Village Troll

Original bellhousing. Not original block and a Canton 242t pan. I am going to investigate the alignment idea further once the trans is out... again.
Any tips on doing this with a T56 bellhousing?

PPS... makes sense the alignment is off. Engine has been line bored yet I neglected to have the input shaft and crank centerline checked before bolting everything together.

Last edited by SS RRR; 01-05-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

Studderin...that's good thinking. It would be unusual for the alignment to have been fine originally and now be the problem but at this point we can't take any aspect of this for granted!!

SS, let us know what you find!

Quick Reply: Completely stumped (clutch drag)...