Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Haven't installed my pro 5.0 yet

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haven't installed my pro 5.0 yet

Soo it's been about 4 months since i bought my new pro 5.0 shifter with the short shift pkg and to top it off a white hurst ****, and a skip shift eliminator. I have taken everything out in the car (center console) but i have been too much of a puss to do it, the only thing i question is about the stop bolts ? I have saved several install write ups but it doesnt mention the stop bolts in detail. I have a heated garage she stays in soo i just gotta get out their and do! Anything i should do when installing the pro 5.0 ? and what about the stop bolts ?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...lts-5-0-a.html good info in there
Old 02-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Soo basically i have to turn the bolt until it touches the shifter and then loosen it 1/4 to 1/2 turn then tighten it soo it's at the spot ?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryangtp89
Soo basically i have to turn the bolt until it touches the shifter and then loosen it 1/4 to 1/2 turn then tighten it soo it's at the spot ?
You are over thinking it, the stop bolts are there as a feature of the Pro 5.0, you don't have to use them at all. I have them loosened all the way and capped because I like to row through my gears instead of having the assisted shifting 2-3 mechanism.

I recall there being instructions with the shifter on how to adjust it, check on their site maybe?

Just adjust it a little, go for a drive and see how you like, don't like it? Readjust and try again, that's it. The only bolts you have to worry about are the ones holding the shifter in place.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Launching!

I would install it and try it out but shes staying in the garage until spring, too much road salt on the ground. And i dont want to put everything back together just to take it all apart again. Or is it a must to test drive it after to make sure it's all working correctly ? If soo i suppose i can wait.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

I would install it and try it out but shes staying in the garage until spring, too much road salt on the ground. And i dont want to put everything back together just to take it all apart again. Or is it a must to test drive it after to make sure it's all working correctly ? If soo i suppose i can wait.
Oh I see, I would definitely wait then if you cannot road test it after the install, the biggest part of the install is getting it adjusted to the way you like it.

When I installed mine and tried adjusting it, I left the shift plate off, the bottom shift boot off, and drove the car like that after each adjustment - putting everything back and taking it apart is a pain since you will have to adjust it several times to find your sweet spot.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Yeah i guess i'll just wait once the roads are cleared. But i mainly wanted to know about the stop bolts.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Teching In

About 3 months after i had installed my 5.0, the front stop bolt actually had tightened and I was not able to shift into 1,3,5. So whatever you end up doing with the bolts, make sure to use some loctite on those pesky things!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

check this link out ryan: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=12

Now, check your stop bolts. These are the 2 bolts that come from the top and bottom of the shifter and stop the stick. THIS STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT. You need to make sure the shifter FULLY ENGAGES each gear with about 1-2mm clearance off the bolts. If it doesn't, adjust the bolts so the shifter has the full range of motion. There has been debate whether these are needed in the first place, so I just backed mine off the whole way and tightened the bolts down with pliers so there was no way possible they could get in the way. Removing them all together is a valid option as well. If I had to do the install all over again, I'd remove them.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Launching!

I already have the link saved to my computer but thanks truekoa
Old 02-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Soo i have no clue if i should even bother with the stop bolts or just back them off all the way. I'll bang gears alittle bit on the weekends but i'll take her easy during the week except friday.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stop bolts on any aftermarket shifter for a T56 are totally useless IMO. If you have ever seen the inside of the tranny around the shifting mechanism, you will see what I mean. It is engineered with its own "stop" or robustness built in. At best the shifter stop bolts could provide a fraction more support when banging gears but nothing more.

Just remove the stop bolts from the shifter and let the inside stops do their job as intended by Tremac.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Launching!

I think i will take the stop bolts out. Thanks for convincing me to do soo, perry the platypus! Now do you think i should still wait till spring to install it soo i can test drive it after install too see if it's working correctly or install and then wait till spring to find out lol.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for convincing me to do soo, perry the platypus!
My work is done here.

Now put the damn thing in and enjoy one of the best NON performance upgrades you can do to your f-body.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Haha alrighty
Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

2nd that. I love my pro 5.0! It's on that list of best mods ever.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Launching!

How do these shifters feel over the stock hurst shifter?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by cranny
How do these shifters feel over the stock hurst shifter?
IMO, the Hurst feels like garbage next to the 5.0. The 5.0 is just more solid once the internal stops are hit.

I have one of the very old B&M Ripper shifters (newer design sucks too) and it is still my favorite of all casue when the stops are hit, its like hitting a brick wall. That said in all fairness, I have never felt the MGW.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
The stop bolts on any aftermarket shifter for a T56 are totally useless IMO. If you have ever seen the inside of the tranny around the shifting mechanism, you will see what I mean. It is engineered with its own "stop" or robustness built in. At best the shifter stop bolts could provide a fraction more support when banging gears but nothing more.

Just remove the stop bolts from the shifter and let the inside stops do their job as intended by Tremac.
If this was true, no one would ever bend a shift fork!! I say install the shifter with the bolts all the way backed out...find where your shifter is fully engaged in third and fourth gear, and leave an 1/8th inch of so between the stops and the shifter. Should be good to go then...its not that hard to do.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I installed mine with about 1/16"-1/8" gap between the stop bolts and the shifter lever when just cycling through the gears in the garage during the install. Make sure to use some blue loctite and use the jam nuts. I never had an issue with mine for the 5 years I drove it like that.

As for the feel, Vs the stock shifter it was night and day. I was busing the palm of my hand from the 2-3 shifts I was power shifting so hard, and the tranny had no signs of shifter-fork damage when I tore her down. (I was using the stock Pro 5.0 stick, with ~1" cut off and a MBA billet ****).

Quick Reply: Haven't installed my pro 5.0 yet