Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Some LS7 clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some LS7 clutch questions

I've searched and all I could seem to find was pricing (which is pretty good admittedly)... but I'd like to know the following...

-What whp do they hold?
-Can you use an LS1/LS6 flywheel without issue?
-Any common issues?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard the LS7 can handle around 450-475. I believe you'll need an LS2 flywheel to run that clutch - check with a sponsor on that one. As far as issues are concerned, I've heard the LS7 isn't the best clutch to run if you plan on launching the car on the track/street. Alot of C6 guys swap out the LS7 clutch for a stronger one like monster, mcleod, etc.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Launching!

I did research and you need the LS7 flywheel with it (same as LS2 maybe?)
The car will be road race and street. It'll see the drag strip maybe 1-2 times a year (if that).
Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

LS7 clutch here in my 2002 (mods below).

Has zero trouble holding the motor (440 rwhp) and does well with nitrous (just short of 600 rwhp). It does get a little fussy with hard launches on good tires (dead hook), that's the only issue I've had in 4 years.

In short, it feels just like the stock clutch from a driveability perspective, it just holds the power MUCH, MUCH better. If it was a track-only car, I'd tell you to spend the money on something better equipped to consistently handle the hard launches, however based on your use (which pretty much mirrors my car's usage), I think the LS7 clutch would be a perfect fit for you.

It's been a while since I ordered mine, however I'm pretty sure you'll need the LS2 flywheel. I'd give Scoggin Dickey Parts a call -- they're a sponsor here and they had the best pricing when I was shopping around several years ago. Not sure how the pricing stacks up today, however they could help you put together the complete kit.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Teching In

call mike at eastcoast performance, they have it all instock and they have the very best pricing plus he is definitley the most knowledgeable about all the LS engine cars. i know abunch of guys who run the ls7 all the way up to 550rwhp on the street, with NO problems and it drives like stock, no noise or chatter. thats what i'm getting this time around forsure

https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-...time-only.html

Last edited by huggerzz/ss; 02-13-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Pretty much the same question here..I'm looking to put a LS7 Clutch in my car when the Textralia goes out..I run the Auto setup in it for the track, the T56 setup I have is mainly street driven.

For me it'll be pretty much if the Tex Disc is cheaper vs the cost of the LS7.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Teching In

read what all these guys say

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...time-only.html
Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i vote for this clutch also, just installed mine from mark @ eastcoast performance couple weeks ago, it grabs REAL good, and i've had monster lvl 2 before, to be honest i like the drive-ability of the LS7 more, but that just me. i'm pretty sure that aftermarket clutch will hold more power but for the price, you can't beat LS7 clutch.

the only problem i have right now is just the clutch engages too close to the floor but i'm pretty sure that i still have air in the system.

Quick Reply: Some LS7 clutch questions