Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch flywheel help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch flywheel help

i have a 99 z28 with a 6 speed, just bought it a few weeks ago and im new to the car...

anyways i bought it from a friend and the guy he bought it from said he installed a stage 2 clutch (1-2yrs ag0)...

so to make a long story short, the first week or so i dogged on the car pretty good and it pulled really good, now its like making vibrations thru shift ****, floor and gas pedal, and it feels like it might be slipping, im not sure...

anything i can check before assuming its bad?

and whats a good sight to get a clutch flywheel package from?? what stage should i get? steel or alluminum flywheel? etc etc etc?

this is my daily driver, and im going to slowly be building the motor up,and i plan on keeping this car
Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

To add if I accelrate smoothly and slowly, its ok but the moment I full throttle the vibrations will set in, and there not always there but its getting worse
Old 02-27-2012, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Oh and car has 145k and everything else is stock, anything due for changing that might cause this? Bushings? Mounts? Bearings? Etc
Old 02-27-2012, 12:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sheaadams86
i have a 99 z28 with a 6 speed, just bought it a few weeks ago and im new to the car...

anyways i bought it from a friend and the guy he bought it from said he installed a stage 2 clutch (1-2yrs ag0)...

so to make a long story short, the first week or so i dogged on the car pretty good and it pulled really good, now its like making vibrations thru shift ****, floor and gas pedal, and it feels like it might be slipping, im not sure...

anything i can check before assuming its bad?

and whats a good sight to get a clutch flywheel package from?? what stage should i get? steel or alluminum flywheel? etc etc etc?

this is my daily driver, and im going to slowly be building the motor up,and i plan on keeping this car
Its hard to tell what your problem is exactly. A vibration could mean alot of different things. Check your rear end and make sure it is operating properly and your drive shaft...

As far as a clutch and flywheel goes. We have you covered!!! We sell an entire package that includes everything that you will need for your clutch install. It includes our famous clutch master (which holds up in higher hp applications) and new slave, and speed bleeder line. For your application I would go with Monster Level 3 (8% firmer pedal pressure) and an aluminum flywheel, just because it is less rotating mass, which can equate to less drivetrain consumption of horsepower and torque. In other words, get your power to the ground. Check out our site, I have posted a link to the clutch package below. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...camaro-firebird/
Old 02-27-2012, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Just changed fluid in rearend and u joints on driveshaft feel good
Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it RPM related, speed related?

If the car is in neutral and you rev it, how does it feel?
If the car is in gear with the clutch in and you rev it, how does it feel?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

wow ok i noticed something new driving home from work today, well maybe not new to the car but new that i noticed...

while coasting...

if i throw it in neutral and rev motor... feels smooth...

now if i press clutch down and rev motor... it will feels smooth...

then let go of clutch again and rev motor... transmission is making noise and gives me feedback...

press clutch down again and rev... smooth...

then let go of clutch and rev and trans is quiet...

repeated several times above explained and mixed results on the letting go of clutch part..

its almost like the clutch is not always disengaging, or its not quite making full contact all the time???

does it at all speeds and i noticed sometimes doing 60 or 70 or higher in 6th gear... it makes like a loping poping knocking sound(constant rhythm noise) louder when giving gas and quieter while letting off in gear...

bad clutch? bad flywheel? not bled properly? any ideas guys?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:47 PM
FormerVendor

Are you seeing the RPM climb/jump but no greater speed gained? If so then this is slippage. When slip occurs it can allow for some vibration to be felt. Let me know as this may shine some more light on the situation.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

hmmm if its slipping its barely slipping cause the car still pulls pretty dam good, it just turns into a dam vibrator haha... i am getting traction low light on when i shift high up in rpm if i power through, would that indicate the clutch is not slipping but the tires are breaking loose? ill pay closer attention when i drive it again and let u know. not to get outside of the subject to far but the ASR switch, when are we suppose to turn it on and off? i know its traction control
Old 02-27-2012, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

idk if this helps but before i replaced my harmonic balancer the vibrations were alot louder, after replacing it dampened like 75% of sound....

also theres been fluid dripping from above trans along driver side, maybe even going down between where flywheel clutch are. maybe the fluid is causing slippage?

oh and i checked all the fluids and there all where they should be, im clueless
Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

ok update i drove again and no the rpm matching speed gain...

a friend drove it, he said it feels like the throwout bearing might be bad? idk?

he also said something bout hurst shifter isnt shimmed right? like u can put slight pressure forward or aft on stick while driving and it changes tones in trans, ive noticed same but dont know if thats right or not
Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

is matching*
Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

If you are dripping fluid into the bell it will eventually lead to slippage. That being said the traction light wouldn't indicate slip but would evidence that the tires are turning over. This vibration could result from issues with the motor/trans mounts. It could also be relative to a damaged drive-shaft. If the TOB was the issue you would normally hear sound with the pedal released, and this would typically come accross as a squeal. If the pilot bearing was damaged, or the input-shaft was binding this would cause noise and could also generate some harshness (more grinding/rubbing than vibration). Ultimately all you can really do is pull the trans and take a look. If you find that you need a clutch/flywheel or other parts let me know and I will be happy to assist you! Thanks,
Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Check your Trans mount. Sounds like that could be the culprit.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

I looked at the trans mount looks fine or atleast it looked solid Idk
Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Update, just changed rotors pads...

And both front calipers had a slide pin rusted so bad that I had to lock vice grips on them and knock the crap out of them for 5 mins to pull out, clean out inside installed new pins, took it for a drive and wow almost all symptoms gone, imma do a highway drive here in a bit, and get back to u guys
Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

well the car ran all good today, smooth as hell, then out of no where vibrations came back... so i jacked up car and checked all brake stuff torqued everything and its still there... soooo i went to autozone and bought a trans mount from energy suspension and installed it, took it for a test drive and no more vibrations at all in the shifter, feels awesome but downfall is now the vibration is ten times worse on the motor side, its a loud audible noise and i can feel it under the gas pedal pretty aggressively mimicing?!?!?! thump thump thump thump!!! happens at all speeds and picks up pace as i speed up

ideas anyone?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Told you it probably had to do with the tranny mount. Now look at your engine mounts, and your torque arm mount.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

the torque arm mounts looks kinda dinky there not cracked or anything but i can push my finger on them to get them to nudge a bit...

the engine mounts definantly look cracked
Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

these would cause pedal thumping?

Quick Reply: clutch flywheel help