Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter not centering itself. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter not centering itself. Please help!

Hey guys. I bought a 02 trans am a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed that the aftermarket hurst shifter in it didn't center itself. I thought the springs in the shifter were worn, so I replaced it with a MGW. The new shifter doesn't center itself either, but I can tell its a much better shifter than the hurst. What is required to change the centering springs in the transmission? Is there an access panel or is this going to be a job that requires the entire transmission to be pulled? I don't have the tools or confidence to perform that job, so it would be expensive. The guy I talked to over at MGW offered to send me super strong springs, but said they might be strong enough to pull itself out of gear...especially since I dd it 70+ miles.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Search here for "antivenom" and see if the PO screwed up your internal detents. Otherwise you can try a fresh fluid fill to see if it helps free up the shift rail after some miles on the new fluid.

(This all presumes that you're testing with no rubber console boots/etc. on the shifter that may be binding)

Last edited by 85MikeTPI; 03-30-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Changed my trans fluid today and drove about 70 miles. Still won't center
Old 03-30-2012, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id say its definitely a problem with the shifter
Old 03-31-2012, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

My pro 5.0 was the same way at first. It will loosen up over time.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

it is not a problem with the shifter. i took the shifter off and stuck my finger in the cup then turned it left and right. it did not center itself. any other ideas before i have to pay someone an extreme amount to tear into my transmission? i do have some autorx that i can pour in, but i dont want it to cause more problems than its worth.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Beastmode89
it is not a problem with the shifter. i took the shifter off and stuck my finger in the cup then turned it left and right. it did not center itself. any other ideas before i have to pay someone an extreme amount to tear into my transmission? i do have some autorx that i can pour in, but i dont want it to cause more problems than its worth.
There are no centering springs inside the transmission, just spring-loaded detents. The shifter springs (even stock ones) should be strong enough to overcome these detents due to the mechanical advantage. If you can easily move the shifter cup with your finger, then nothing is wrong inside.

You may need to give the MGW some time to break-in, or you may have some binding going on with the shifter or the cup. Try mounting the shifter on without torquing the screws all the way down and see if the shifter centers.

Do you have any history on this trans? Is the plastic cup broken or missing in the offset lever? Could it have a GTO offset lever ? Take and post some pictures.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Check out my post it down here on this section. I'm having issues with the shifter not centering from the right to the center it centers from left to right but not from right to left. Is that what's happening to you check our my vids.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

I have no history on the transmission. The cup is a golden color, but in great shape. The shifter does not center itself even if the bolts aren't tight, I already tried that. If I stick my finger in the cup and turn it to the 1-2 or 5-6 position, it doesn't center itself. Is it supposed to? I'll try to get some pics later today.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

still no luck with getting this thing to center itself. i'm wondering...is the shift rail supposed to center itself without a shifter on? like if you do what i did and stick your finger in the cup and turn it to the 1-2 or 5-6 position. i'm really getting frustrated with this. any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as far as I know there are no centering springs in the tranny itself and so its the shifters job to bring it back. hence why when the stock shifter gets worn out it goes sloppy and doesnt return to center. does the cup move freely in both directions or not? if it moves from 1 back to center and 5 back to center with the same resistance then i'd say its the shifter causing the issue.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Hey guys. I bought a 02 trans am a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed that the aftermarket hurst shifter in it didn't center itself. I thought the springs in the shifter were worn, so I replaced it with a MGW. The new shifter doesn't center itself either, but I can tell its a much better shifter than the hurst. What is required to change the centering springs in the transmission? Is there an access panel or is this going to be a job that requires the entire transmission to be pulled? I don't have the tools or confidence to perform that job, so it would be expensive. The guy I talked to over at MGW offered to send me super strong springs, but said they might be strong enough to pull itself out of gear...especially since I dd it 70+ miles.
take the shifter out, and look for the spring. it's probably broken, left out, or removed for the preference of the previous owner.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
take the shifter out, and look for the spring. it's probably broken, left out, or removed for the preference of the previous owner.
the mgw shifter is brand new =[
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

the mgw shifter is brand new =[
did you put it in, or the previous owner?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

I put the brand new MGW in myself almost a week ago
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

I put the brand new MGW in myself almost a week ago
gotcha. if i recall, those cars use the borg warner tranny, right? i think that everything to do with centering the shifter is in the shifter unit itself. it's been awhile though, so i could be wrong.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

I'm not sure, but thank you for the help so far. Hopefully someone else can chime in to confirm. If that's the case, the. The shift rail shouldn't center itself without a shifter attached? I wish someone with a functioning shifter could show me their shift rail functioning with the shifter off
Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Launching!

You should call them. This is the second person with the same problem.
I really want to order but Im waiting to see what the deal is.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

The rail itself wont center on its own. Like I said before drive it and break it in or shim the springs like some ppl do.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

!!!UPDATE!!!

I spoke with Geoge, the owner of MGW. I told him about this post and he told me that the transmission in fact does have something to do with centering. I've been told so many things by so many people. I don't know what is true since I'm not a mechanic and I haven't torn down one of these transmissions myself. Could someone with a working shifter that centers itself please make a video with the shifter off. I would like to see the shift rail turned to the left and right without the shifter on to see if it centers itself, because George at MGW is saying that it should. I'm so frustrated with this issue. I had no idea I would run into this a few weeks ago when I bought the car.

Thanks for any help guys!

Quick Reply: Shifter not centering itself. Please help!