Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just received my Monster stage 2... I have a quick question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just received my Monster stage 2... I have a quick question?

So I just received my Monster Stage 2 clutch kit for my 05 CTS-V today, & I have 1 question. Why does the clutch disc pictured on their site look like a completely different material than the disk I received? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but does it come packaged with some sort of protective cardboard-like material meshed to the disc surface that burns off once driven, because it looks like its part of the disc itself?

Thanks in advance for answering my noob-like question LOL...

The pic from their site...

The disc I received...
Old 04-21-2012, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Nobody?
Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Looks like a thin piece of brown paper, peel it off lol?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sheaadams86
Looks like a thin piece of brown paper, peel it off lol?
Definitely not a thin piece of paper....

Check it out...

Old 04-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Interestingly enough, I too just received my Monster stage 2 for my 2000 C5 Vette and my friction disk looks different from the website picture as well. I also noticed that the spring fingers on the pressure plate look different from what is pictured for the stage 2 on the website. I received a 12" dia. pressure plate but I was under the impression that the stage 2 was an 11" pressure plate. Also, the pressure plate "shell" stampings are different from what is shown on the Monster website. I'm sure everything is OK and I am getting a 550 RWHP holding power clutch assy. but it does cause me to raise a lot of questions. Think I might call them just to be sure.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by reddvette
Interestingly enough, I too just received my Monster stage 2 for my 2000 C5 Vette and my friction disk looks different from the website picture as well. I also noticed that the spring fingers on the pressure plate look different from what is pictured for the stage 2 on the website. I received a 12" dia. pressure plate but I was under the impression that the stage 2 was an 11" pressure plate. Also, the pressure plate "shell" stampings are different from what is shown on the Monster website. I'm sure everything is OK and I am getting a 550 RWHP holding power clutch assy. but it does cause me to raise a lot of questions. Think I might call them just to be sure.
Does your disk look like it's the same material as mine?
Old 04-22-2012, 02:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Heres a novel idea CALL THEM and ask.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gs462
Heres a novel idea CALL THEM and ask.
Good answer their bud... Don't you think that would be my 1st step after spending $850 on a clutch setup & having questions about it?... Of course I tried that but they are unfortunately closed on weekends.... I figured since so many people rave about Monster clutch's here on the forum that someone would have some insight?

I had planned on installing it tomorrow, but looks like I'm gonna have to wait until I talk to Monster.

Last edited by EPIK; 04-22-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a while back the stage 2 was a hybrid disk (dual friction) with kevlar on one side and organic on the other. The pic on the site is the organic side. They moved to a different setup that had the same material on both sides. As they (monster) say on their site, "We've said it ourselves and we've heard others say it, a dual friction is only as good as it's weakest friction side."

You should let me know how it goes. I am looking for a good clutch that is VERY streetable. Damn near stock preferable and can hold 500whp.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exidous
I think a while back the stage 2 was a hybrid disk with kevlar on one side and organic on the other. The pic on the site is the organic side. They moved to a different setup that had the same material on both sides. As they (monster) say on their site, "We've said it ourselves and we've heard others say it, a dual friction is only as good as it's weakest friction side."
Thanks for a good. constructive answer...

Yeah I read that on their site, but figured the material would look different I guess? I'm no clutch expert whatsoever, but it just seems this material seems VERY soft?
Old 04-22-2012, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Monster's pics on their website do not reflect the actual appearance of their more recent designs/updates on clutches. The material is tested and updated far more than their pics.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Knowing Monster the softness isn't a mistake. :-) Call them anyway to make sure but I bet you'll be happy once it's in.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:01 AM
On The Tree

Thanks! Thats sort of what I figured, just wanna talk to them 1st before I install it.... Well hopefully this little spot won't effect the clutch performance? Sort of a small crease on the edge.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Had the exact same question as you...see this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...utch-disc.html

Post #13 was the key for me, check out the link there.

I've got about 200 city miles on my Level 2 now. It had a little chatter at the beginning, but doing the break-in and adjusting driving style a little has helped a lot.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Okay, here is the thing. They've been talking about the Old vs New style for awhile now. I got my stg 2 almost a year ago and it was the newer style. So what's up all these older versions still popping up.

OP, you have the older version. Nothing wrong with that from what I understand, they just switched it up.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Got my level 2 a week ago looks like yours, installed and breaking it in.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They all perform the same, just use different materials to accomplish the same goal. Our level 2 is the same as the first picture in the original post.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

This question has been asked a few times. I even asked the same question. Please read these couple threads that I have replied in below. Monster claims all their stage 2 discs perform the same, they just experimented with a few different designs.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...utch-disc.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ame-today.html

Quick Reply: Just received my Monster stage 2... I have a quick question?