Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifter raises up when i shift

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter raises up when i shift

when i shift in my lower gears, the shifter actually raises. Could this be some kind of a broke motor mount or transmission mount?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess would be trans mount. Only way to find out is to get under it
Old 04-25-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah def. check out the trans mount... i had a similar problem ended up being a loose bolt for the trans mount.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Trans mount. I had a camaro that used to destroy the trans mount every few months
Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yup. The torque arm picking up the back of the trans, tears out the mount with power, and sticky tires.

thats why I got the BMR reloc Trans X member. the TA dosnt beat the **** out the tail shaft housing on the trans (bends the mount, and brakes the case too) And the car shifts better overall too, the shifter dosnt move around from the suspension from engine power.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by studderin
yup. The torque arm picking up the back of the trans, tears out the mount with power, and sticky tires.

thats why I got the BMR reloc Trans X member. the TA dosnt beat the **** out the tail shaft housing on the trans (bends the mount, and brakes the case too) And the car shifts better overall too, the shifter dosnt move around from the suspension from engine power.
Did the same thing with my car only with a UMI relocation kit, can't wait to try it out Hopefully next weekend
Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine used to bounce up, and I put in a Prothane transmission mount. Problem solved. Don't be afraid to use a poly trans mount with rubber mounts like everyone claims is some nightmare. Been running that same setup for years on 2 cars, plus many friends with the same setup. You will have some initial vibes the first week or two, but after some good miles, the vibrations will go away, and you will have a nice smooth shift
Old 04-26-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Mine used to bounce up, and I put in a Prothane transmission mount. Problem solved. Don't be afraid to use a poly trans mount with rubber mounts like everyone claims is some nightmare. Been running that same setup for years on 2 cars, plus many friends with the same setup. You will have some initial vibes the first week or two, but after some good miles, the vibrations will go away, and you will have a nice smooth shift
Mine would still rise up a little after the poly mount, but its WAY better than with the rubber mount. The shifter would lift up almost 2" with a brand new rubber mount.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Don't be afraid to use a poly trans mount with rubber mounts like everyone claims is some nightmare...
i used this combo a few months. a couple 1.6 60s and the tailshaft broke 360* between the bolts and driveshaft. however, i had an a4 car with a big stall. it actually broke going down the highway...at a high rate of speed albeit.

i just installed prothane motor mounts in my otherwise basically stock 99 car and wow did it make a difference in how the car feels when making shifts. it feels much more solid and i am positive it improved my shifting. the trans doesn't move at all anymore, it almost feels like an arcade game.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

What's the part number for the prothane trans mount? I've read that the prothane mount is better than the energy suspension mount and doesn't cause as much NVH.

Quick Reply: shifter raises up when i shift