Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Drill Mod yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Drill Mod yes or no?

hey guys my question isnt really how to do the drill mod but more of should I. I'm just finishing up my m6 swap with all new hydraulics and an ls7 clutch. The drill mod should help deliver more fluid to the slave but it seems like i've seen people that do the drill mod end up having more headaches than good results.

So I was just hoping to get some people who have done it. Obviously if the master is bad and you tried it and it didnt help thats one thing. But if the master was brand new or in good working order and it started causing problems when you did it, is what I would like to hear....
Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never bothered myself when i had issue's, in-fact the issue of the sticky pedal made my order to be from just the tick master to these:
Monster stage 3
new slave
ofc the tick
emblem pros-full onyx
tsp 1 7/8
brass head gears
abs delete kit + LL from sjm
---
i got all that just cause i had a sticky pedal, to make it shorter, just get a tick.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

dont waste your time with the drill mod. it was more of a mental thing to make myself believe alot more fluid was getting through but the gain was minimal. the drill mod didnt cause any problems but it didnt help shifting for me. just get the tick adjustable master it was probably the best investment in my mods
Old 05-23-2012, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

I did a lot of reading on this subject and completed the drill mod when I replaced my slave and master(OEM replacements parts only). I will say that I don't reguarly shift above 5K so I cant really tell you if it did any good for me. My actual issue was fixed by replacing the leaking slave. I will say that those with issue shifting at higher RPMs all say that the Tick fixed the issue.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Guys I do plan on running a tick later on as I love my friends that he has in his ss its just the swap has ran a little over budget so a tick really isnt in the cards for probably another month or two. In the mean time i have this new oem one (cost me 60 bucks) that I'm just gonna drop in so I can drive the car lol.

Its just from what I've seen from people sometimes it helps, sometimes it does nothing, and other times, it makes things worse although every situation is different I was just wondering what the concensus is?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way is to just not buy new stock parts from GM if you are planning to go hard. Just buy the tick MC or something similar and you will not have to worry about dissasembling or drilling anything. just install and drive.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

I am going to do the tick master but I need to drive the car ad it's just not in the cards right now being In school full time. The stock master is new and cost me almost nothing do I'm running with that for a month or two and then I'll do the tick just in the mean time I Was wondering about the success of the drill mod. Believe me I've driven a car with a tick and it's nice I don't need anymore selling points on it lol
Old 05-23-2012, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

It doesn't take much time. Since you'll be down there already, I'd say do it. I haven't read about anyone having negative effects from it as long as you properly flush the line after drilling it out. I'm running a stock master and slave and have no issues.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AlamoTA
It doesn't take much time. Since you'll be down there already, I'd say do it. I haven't read about anyone having negative effects from it as long as you properly flush the line after drilling it out. I'm running a stock master and slave and have no issues.
Thanks for the info man, do you have issues if your trying to shift fast near the redline? Again I want a tick but right now I need to drive the car for work and school so I'll live with the stocker till i can afford a tick.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
do you have issues if your trying to shift fast near the redline?

good question?

i purchased all brand new OEM parts along with my LS7 clutch kit.

I just couldnt see spending the money of the tick MC.

Quick Reply: Drill Mod yes or no?