Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 noise when clutch released; listen to video and LMK what you think

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default T56 noise when clutch released; listen to video and LMK what you think

I have a fresh rebuild from one of the vendors here on this forum. I bought it over a year ago and finally got my setup running a few weeks ago; its only got 63 miles since I started it. With the clutch pressed in, there is no noise, but when I let it out lots of noise. Listen to the video and LMK what you think the problem might be. I have an LS7 clutch/flywheel and '01 stock slave cylinder, with tick adjustable master cylinder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnru9...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-01-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doesnt sound bad to me? I dont hear anything popping or clanking. You have to remember that when you have the clutch in the pilot bearing is doing its thing and the inside of the transmission is stopped. Once you release the clutch and it grabs it immediatley starts spinning all the gears inside the tranny and thats what your hearing. T56's are noisy to begin with coupled ith the fact you have an aftermarket shifter no isolator boot and no console yes you ill hear noise. Lol i can hear noise when mine has the clutch out and my interior has all the carpeting and console pieces.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:33 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Doesnt sound bad to me? I dont hear anything popping or clanking. You have to remember that when you have the clutch in the pilot bearing is doing its thing and the inside of the transmission is stopped. Once you release the clutch and it grabs it immediatley starts spinning all the gears inside the tranny and thats what your hearing. T56's are noisy to begin with coupled ith the fact you have an aftermarket shifter no isolator boot and no console yes you ill hear noise. Lol i can hear noise when mine has the clutch out and my interior has all the carpeting and console pieces.
I agree
Old 09-02-2012, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MFJ
I agree
This is good to know, if true. My tuner (who sees a lot of T56's) says this one was way noiser than any he has heard. He suspected a bearing or something but wasn't sure. So I wanted to get add'l opinions.

Let me ask it a different way. I'm not too particularly concerned about the noise per se; if there is a problem (say a bearing), what add'l damage could I cause (if any) by driving as is?

Thx!!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Has he heard many of them without a console or bottom boot? Believe me it doe take a lot of the noise away. If it does have a bad bearing it would be humming take it out for a drive and run through the gears, sometimes a little humming from the gears is normal a bad bearing will be LOUD.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Was the pilot bearing replaced? How about the throw out bearing? Does it have a vibration when driving at certain speeds?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Banned

If the car has a big cam, it can cause gear clatter at idle. Does it go away with some throttle in neutral?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
Was the pilot bearing replaced? How about the throw out bearing? Does it have a vibration when driving at certain speeds?
New pilot bearing cuz its behind an LY6; throwout bearing and clutch slave new '01 Camaro. I didn't notice any vibration in my one drive home with the car. Will drive it this week after the rain is gone. The vendor replied to me that this level of noise is normal. I was probably just paranoid cuz I couldn't handle after all the work I've done pulling the tranny out and shipping it to be repaired. Hopefully this is fine.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like mine when the clutch is out. If you have something wrong, I do too! I have an almost new setup though--new clutch assy, new pilot bearing, newer slave--so I doubt there's anything wrong.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Mine makes the same noise. I have the console and boot on mine, but I didn't really notice it until I put on an aftermarket shifter (same as yours), so not having that stock isolator definitely makes a difference.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Old post I know, but I have the same exact issue after a fresh rebuild. Was this resolved?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

FWIW when I bought a brand new T56 on my A4 to t56 swap and first started it I did freak as it was noisy when in neutral, clutch out. noise went away when clutch was pushed in and when driving in any gear.

these T56 are known to have 'marbles in a can" sound. In my case the noise dimished to basically nothing after miles were put on it.

while noise can be problems, T56 are known to have it in neutral, clutch out
Old 08-19-2013, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ******
FWIW when I bought a brand new T56 on my A4 to t56 swap and first started it I did freak as it was noisy when in neutral, clutch out. noise went away when clutch was pushed in and when driving in any gear.

these T56 are known to have 'marbles in a can" sound. In my case the noise dimished to basically nothing after miles were put on it.

I disagree, when the car was new it didn't have that noise.

Mine didn't have it prior to rebuild, drives fine shifts great.

I think it may be an end play issue as in not enough.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I am not saying "your" noise is not from a problem. Just 93-97 T56 were known to make noise often refered to as "marbles in a can" when in neutral

since yours started after a rebuild, I would take it back to the shop that did it to see wtf it is. Also confirm what fluid they recommend based on the parts they put in it. original year 93-97 T56 had blocker rings (paper based) that did not like synthetics. If synthetics are ok for yours, redline D4 has been known to reduce noise and make shifts easier, especially in cold weather
Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I am not saying "your" noise is not from a problem. Just 93-97 T56 were known to make noise often refered to as "marbles in a can" when in neutral

since yours started after a rebuild, I would take it back to the shop that did it to see wtf it is. Also confirm what fluid they recommend based on the parts they put in it. original year 93-97 T56 had blocker rings (paper based) that did not like synthetics. If synthetics are ok for yours, redline D4 has been known to reduce noise and make shifts easier, especially in cold weather
I built it

Is a LS1 trans

Has Dex/Merc III in it.

Very similar to the noise in the youtube link in the first post.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

i know this is an old thread and I've seen many threads with the same problem yet none of them have a solution or an answer to this problem.

i have the same problem in my 02 Ws6 and the noise is a recent thing i have the pro 5.0 shifter and when it was installed till sometime around last month it was quiet so i really don't think the problem is from the shifter.

so what could this be?

Quick Reply: T56 noise when clutch released; listen to video and LMK what you think