Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Twin/Triple Disc clutch advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin/Triple Disc clutch advice

I'm in the market for a clutch, looking for something to support 1100-1200whp/tq and not be on the ragged edge...going in a 99 F-body , big turbo + 408ci car... im looking at Mcleod Twin, the Textralia Triple w/BFW and the Spec triple... oh and ive considered Monster as well... looking for suggestions on what clutch to go with...not to sure on Spec as I'm on the 3+ now and at 800whp its slipping bad.... any advise is appreciated.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SPEEDinjection
I'm in the market for a clutch, looking for something to support 1100-1200whp/tq and not be on the ragged edge...going in a 99 F-body , big turbo + 408ci car... im looking at Mcleod Twin, the Textralia Triple w/BFW and the Spec triple... oh and ive considered Monster as well... looking for suggestions on what clutch to go with...not to sure on Spec as I'm on the 3+ now and at 800whp its slipping bad.... any advise is appreciated.
We have these that we've installed.

http://www.coloradospeed.com/mcleod-...s1-p-5773.html

http://www.coloradospeed.com/mcleod-...s-p-19731.html

http://www.coloradospeed.com/mcleod-...s1-p-5772.html

These are alternatives as well that our customers have ran and have been happy not listed in any order.

Ones you'll want to look at are the RAM RTrack, the SPEC -Trims and MONSTER Twins/Triples.

http://www.coloradospeed.com/1998200..._id=0&sort=20a
Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

What is your planned usage type? What is your planned torque output (long term)? I know you reference the 3+ and indicate that you are making 800hp but what is your torque output at the wheels or the crank? We have 4 different Super-Twins that will provide great drivability and that offer plenty of options relative to capacity. We also offer mini-twin and triple options too. Let me know a bit more about what you are doing and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Level 2 triple is good to 1500hp and still streetable, feel free to contact me with any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 08-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
What is your planned usage type? What is your planned torque output (long term)? I know you reference the 3+ and indicate that you are making 800hp but what is your torque output at the wheels or the crank? We have 4 different Super-Twins that will provide great drivability and that offer plenty of options relative to capacity. We also offer mini-twin and triple options too. Let me know a bit more about what you are doing and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Its a street car sir... on low boost 10psi and 93 it did 800/840 tq and I'm planning on cranking the boost up another 10psi or so...I have no idea what that will make but im guessing aroumd 1100 and I can't speculate where the rwtq will be but I'd guess around 1000... I want something that will support the power and be comfortable driving...do u have any prices on the supertwins?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

Super-Twin is the way to go...specifically our SC09PT. Give me a call and I will be happy yo assist you further. You can also take a look at the link below for info. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy...999/Super_Twin
Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

McLeod makes a triple disc clutch they don't advertise. It is based off of the RXT twin I believe. Very light pedal pressure for the power it can hold.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

RPS triple carbon, or a Mcleod borg&beck style street twin with metallic discs.... I have also tuned a few cars in the 1100 rwhp and 950+ rwtq range with the centerforce Dyad clutch that seem to be holding up great...
Old 08-13-2013, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

loving my monster twin right now @ ~850rwhp . im sure thier tripple is badass thats what id recommend. cant beat their customer service!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gnx7
McLeod makes a triple disc clutch they don't advertise. It is based off of the RXT twin I believe. Very light pedal pressure for the power it can hold.
This
Old 08-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Super-Twin is the way to go...specifically our SC09PT. Give me a call and I will be happy yo assist you further. You can also take a look at the link below for info. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy...999/Super_Twin
ill check it out man and give you a call thanks!! Everyone seems to be recommending the Mcleod, ... Does anyone have experience with the Mcleod Street Twin w/ BFW? I believe they call the kit the B&B kit... Its $1400 ... ill check with Mcleod on that triple your speaking of too... am I wrong to rule out the RSX? Its only $930 and if im not mistaken at that price it utilizes the OEM flywheel.... just iffy on it being enough....
Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

you need an sfi flywheel
Old 08-25-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEEDinjection
ill check it out man and give you a call thanks!! Everyone seems to be recommending the Mcleod, ... Does anyone have experience with the Mcleod Street Twin w/ BFW? I believe they call the kit the B&B kit... Its $1400 ... ill check with Mcleod on that triple your speaking of too... am I wrong to rule out the RSX? Its only $930 and if im not mistaken at that price it utilizes the OEM flywheel.... just iffy on it being enough....
This is my experience with the Street twin... I blew up two Mcleod street twins in several hundred miles of driving. First one started to slip, second unit blew up internally. Both were substantially out of balance and had to be balanced; a huge pain in the *** when you are paying $1200 for a clutch. Went with a Zoom twin, problem solved. The Zoom Factory clutch balance was within a couple of grams, Mcleod was off more than 30 on one of their units.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if not the first piece of information on the McLeod "street twin" install instructions it is very close to the top in BOLD letters says to....

"have the clutch assembly match balanced to your applicatin". Yes they sell both external (stock) and internal , aka zero, balanced street twins but still advise the user to have a machine sop confirm the balance of the unit. In my case the billet FW which was a "neutra" balancd FW was off by 25 grms. This was where the holes on back of the FW were for the weight used for a "external" balance car The floater plate & PP did check out good and 25 grms was added by putting 3 of the 4 screws back in where the holes for the weight was taped

My $02 is always have any part be it clutch assembly or rotateing assembly checked for correct balance prior to instal. My experience has been every clutch/FW I have put on ht needed to be "neutral" needed some form of balance adjustment
Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 AM
FormerVendor

That is why our flywheels and pressure plates are zero balanced to within 4 grams each, so the most they could be out is 8 grams together and GM spec is 12 grams for the clutch assembly.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mcleod told me mine was balanced, only external balance stuff should be checked iirc. I can tell you that I always check assemblies that I install or that I'm involved with. Zoom and Act have always been within 2, 3, maybe 4 grams off-max. I've never had to do anything with their clutch assemblies, that speaks loads about attention to detail imo. Every other popular ls clutch I've installed has taken a correction, although, it hasn't been anywhere near the amount of correction my street twin took.

I agree that checking it should be standard practice for all installations.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
I agree that checking it should be standard practice for all installations.
^^^^. yes if you order a "nuetral or zero" balance unit it should be zero. Experience has always shown me sometimes they are not so checking is always what I do by sending it to a machine shop.

Even though the SNL post says they check balance their stuff..."I" would also on any product that claims it is "zero" balanced. In their case maybe all their stuff is balanced as advertised but given the job of replacing a FW & clutch is tedious, I will spend $40 for a machine shop to confirm.

for stock external balance motors I have had no issues with just bolting on the FW or clutch assembly as is. Internal balanced motors I have balance checked

Quick Reply: Twin/Triple Disc clutch advice