Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GTO T-56 No Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO T-56 No Reverse

So here's the problem.

2005 GTO decided not to go into reverse anymore. It has 60,000 miles and the following mods.

700 miles on monster level 2 , slave , billet flywheel, and mgw-p shifter.

Shifting got a little notchy into first a few hundred miles ago. After a few practice launches on the street without hooking and no wheel hop the problem occurred .

So here's what I've done trying to fix it.
Checked the A/T fuse
Bleed the system again.
Changed out the reverse solenoid
Removed the reverse lockout system completely
Installed a New Tick clutch master cylinder.

It drives fine in all the other gears and the clutch feels great. The notchy first gear is gone after the master cyl swap.
I can get the reverse lights to come on if I press hard. Ive tried the 1-2 slide to reverse trick and releasing the clutch slow.

Any ideas as to what broke or what to check next?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Default Come on guy's!

This is the place for Tech right?

I hear some people lose 5th and 6th when they lose reverse, does anyone have experience with this?

If it didn't drive normal in the other gears I would assume it was a clutch problem.

Is it possible to have the mgw-p not engage reverse far enough? Maybe it moved ?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the shifter physically go into reverse? Have you tried it with the car off, put it in reverse and bump the ignition...Does the car move?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

The shifter on my 01 SS physically won't go into reverse. Not sure if thats the exact problem you're having. A pretty knowledgeable guy I talked to said the system was just not bled properly or at all when the new clutch and slave/master cylinders were installed not too long ago. But I see you tried bleeding again with no luck. Could this guy be right about my issue or is it something else? I have the stock hurst shifter still so if it's the same issue I don't think your MGW is causing it. Does your shifter physically just not want to go into reverse?

First is also finicky sometimes but not too bad.

Also like badazz81z28 mentioned, sometimes I can get it into reverse with the car off. Really looking for quick help here. Hoping I can figure out a way to fix it before having to take it to the trans shop and blow money on dropping the transmission when it might not be necessary.

Last edited by badformulaLS1; 09-24-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

I'll give the car off ignition bump a try, it really doesn't feel like it goes into revers at all off or on but i'll give it a shot.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

No one else can help us out???
Old 09-25-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
No one else can help us out???
If it won't go into reverse at all even with the car off, something is internally wrong with the tranny. You will unfortunately have to pull it, tear it down, and inspect to see what the problem is.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
If it won't go into reverse at all even with the car off, something is internally wrong with the tranny. You will unfortunately have to pull it, tear it down, and inspect to see what the problem is.
But I said I can get into reverse with the car off...
Old 09-25-2013, 02:45 PM
FormerVendor

These are two possibilities: 1) miss-adjusted/aligned shifter (or damage to the shift or related components) 2) damaged Reverse shift fork in the transmission. Check the shifter first as it is easier to deal with.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
These are two possibilities: 1) miss-adjusted/aligned shifter (or damage to the shift or related components) 2) damaged Reverse shift fork in the transmission. Check the shifter first as it is easier to deal with.
Im hoping It's the shifter . The problem happend after I started hammering on it once the clutch was broken in.

I tried the bump test but my gto has to have the clutch in to engage the starter. I feels like there is no way im getting close to pushing it into reverse Key on , car off. Car on or with a slow roll back.....nothing works.

I think it make more noise in neutral than before with the clutch out. It's not loud just a quiet wirring. Maybe it's always been like that and now I notice it because i'm looking for a problem.

I got the manual because I thought it was bullet proof!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Default T56 is out ...see VIDEO of Problem

So the T56 is out and i'm ready to ship it out to have it built. My concern is the extra parts like gears ect. will add up and I would be better of spending an extra $1000 for the T56 magnum set up for a gto.

Doe's anyone offer the magnum set up for a GTO without any upgrades? I dont plan on making 700 ftlbs so I could save some cash if I can get it with just the tailshaft, speedo , and yoke mods.

Check out the video

What's broken?
Old 10-06-2013, 01:40 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Get a 3/16 roll pin punch, tube of ultra black RTV, snap-ring pliers, and lock-ring pliers, and follow the service manual (in the sticky thread.)

You have 1 roll pin, 8 bolts, a pry-bar job, a lockring, a wheel to tap off, 2 more lockrings, a spacer, bearing, spacer, lockring, a thrust washer to lift off, and rev. gear will come out.

Don't ship and spend when only Reverse an issue at this point. Your synchro slider probably isn't going onto the gear as far as it can, so fork pads are a possibility. Shimming the fork to fix the actual problem isn't tough to do either.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Default Shimming the fork

Is shimming the fork when you remove material from the fork and run a equal width spacer to move the fork forward?
I tried to get info on a mod like this that was on third gen forum but I couldn't access the pictures.
I'll give the repair a shot....not much to lose .

Quick Reply: GTO T-56 No Reverse