Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bad clutch or something else with transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad clutch or something else with transmission

I have 115 k on my car and car never had any shifting issues. My clutch has been shot and slipping bad like slow to rev higher rpms. well today downshifting from 4thto 3rd my car rpm gauge reved up but car just grinded metal to metal and no acceerations. every gear does it and i could only drive car very slow or wil grind not accelerte. I pray its just the clutch. If it was a tranny wouldnt i have had prior issues and wouldnt some gears work. what else beside clutch can be. Im in connecticut if anyone knws of agood shop and please dont mention slowhawk in ma. Ty
Old 10-27-2013, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dhctss
I have 115 k on my car and car never had any shifting issues. My clutch has been shot and slipping bad like slow to rev higher rpms. well today downshifting from 4thto 3rd my car rpm gauge reved up but car just grinded metal to metal and no acceerations. every gear does it and i could only drive car very slow or wil grind not accelerte. I pray its just the clutch. If it was a tranny wouldnt i have had prior issues and wouldnt some gears work. what else beside clutch can be. Im in connecticut if anyone knws of agood shop and please dont mention slowhawk in ma. Ty
Clutch is gone...
Old 10-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Thats what I figured after some research so now what clutch. I limped home and hope i didnt do no damage to the transmission. I drove it like 2 miles at like 30 mph. hopefully its ok. I plan on doing at least a cam in the car next spring and probaly heads to so I need something that can handle more then stock. I like the act clutches but i havent seen to many people use them. I swear **** always happens at the worst time like im moving next week lol. oh well i will borrow a car from a friend until i could get this fixed. What is labor usually for a clutch repair and i should do the slave cylinder to right.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:48 AM
FormerVendor

What kind of usage does the car see? Is it street only? Or do you track the car as well? Let me know and I will provide a recommendation. Install cost is relative to the cost per hour for your area and other factors. I suggest contacting a local installer and asking about this.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Launching!

I havent tracked it as i was waiting to do clutch in january but didnt make it. I plan on making some runs in spring but its my dd and mostly street use.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

call around for shops YOU know or someone you trust knows about their work. Since you are not doing this yourself I suspect the labor at least 500 but I have always replaced my own clutches. Removing the transmission is not hard but requires many "other" parts to be removed from the car so the job is involved.

Your stock motor would be fine with just a "replacement" type clutch but for heads/cam later I would move up to what is often called "level/stage 2" clutch. SPEC is one, Monster is another many have used, I have a McLeod. The cheaper stuff often found at chain auto stores is often from China and may be good $, not so good of a clutch

At the very least bleed your clutch hydraulics but if your TO bearing is original it would be a good idea to replace. Many recommend a aftermarket MC also. I have a McLeod (Wilwood) but many like the Tick. Also replace pilot bearing AND absolutely have the flywheel resurfaced or replaced
Old 10-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Launching!

How much is a to bearing. I plan on replacing the slave cylinder pilot wheel and will get a new flywheel. So between parts and labor like 1200 or so. I was thinking between a spec.monster.ls7 or actclutch. I am defently doing a cam this spring and maybe heads.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out our premium package deals on our website that include everything you need, if you have any questions don't hesitate to call me. Chris, 817-750-2000

FWIW we charge $400 for a clutch install on a F-body.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Our clutch kits for this application include the bearings, alignment tool , pressure-plate and disc. We offer steel and aluminum flywheel options as well as slave and master cylinders and provide package deals if you buy everything together. Take a look at the link below and give me a shout if you have any further questions. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/2000/Single

Quick Reply: Bad clutch or something else with transmission