Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS6 vs LS7 clutch for bolt on (eventually cam only) car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 vs LS7 clutch for bolt on (eventually cam only) car?

Well I'm ordering a clutch kit and can't decide between the LS6 or LS7 set up. I did a search and can't find anything quite like my situation so I want to be sure I'm getting the best kit for my needs. Do not recommend anything else because I can't afford it. No matter how much you tell me to not cheap out and get a Monster or Centerforce or whatever the money is not going to magically appear for me. Car currently has mods in sig making an estimated 340whp more or less. Eventually the car will get a couple more bolt ons, cam, and full suspension/brakes. Shooting for the 400rwhp mark. Will the LS6 hold that power fine or do I need the LS7? Car is a DD and will see occasional drag strip visits and auto x events and also a good bit of street fun. I'm not too concerned with pedal firmness and whatnot. My main concern with the LS7 is the heavier weight which I've read will result in hp loss, which I really don't want since I don't have much right now to begin with. How significant of a loss would it be? 10rwhp? Less or more? At the same time I'm worried the LS6 set up can't handle much abuse. So whats your guy's input? Going to place my order in a few hours from east coast performance so I'd like quick help.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is your current clutch on its way out or are you just upgrading? I know you said not to suggest another clutch but there is a reason that everyone says not go with a ls7. If you plan on any amount of track time or spirited driving with a decent tire you are going to quickly realize that you wasted your money... Hold off on the other mods, cry once and pony up for what you need.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
Is your current clutch on its way out or are you just upgrading? I know you said not to suggest another clutch but there is a reason that everyone says not go with a ls7. If you plan on any amount of track time or spirited driving with a decent tire you are going to quickly realize that you wasted your money... Hold off on the other mods, cry once and pony up for what you need.
My current one is toast. This is an unplanned emergency switch so I don't have the money atm. The car is my daily, I can't let it sit until I have more money, nor can I keep driving it in it's current condition. So I'm already holding off on other mods for longer than planned because of this. Where are the threads where people say to not go with the LS7? Cause in all of the threads I've seen people seem to love it besides the heavy flywheel and more rotating mass and what not. Things like that are why I'm asking which one I should get.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Launching!

lol I don't know the clutch condition of mine but when I replace mine if it is still good you can have it, its a centerforce Dual Friction Clutch. like I said it does not feel like the clutch is going its the slave that is leaking so I am just replacing the whole clutch while I am at it. if it was not leaking to begin with I wouldn't change the clutch. might help you out save a few bucks you know.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:51 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget that you'll still have the self-adjusting pressure plate with both the LS6 and LS7 setup. No way would I even consider those options with that in mind.

I'm on a budget myself, so I'll be going with a Spec Stage 1 ($269 @ WS6store) and likely trying to resurface my stock flywheel ($20-$30) or just buy a new ACDelco one if I can't do that ($115). That's $384 at most for a clutch that is as good or better than a LS7 kit.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

I have an LS7 with 404RWHP and I hate it.. I doubt it will hold the power for long.

But it's not heavy at all, so I don't know what you mean by that.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Don't forget that you'll still have the self-adjusting pressure plate with both the LS6 and LS7 setup. No way would I even consider those options with that in mind.

I'm on a budget myself, so I'll be going with a Spec Stage 1 ($269 @ WS6store) and likely trying to resurface my stock flywheel ($20-$30) or just buy a new ACDelco one if I can't do that ($115). That's $384 at most for a clutch that is as good or better than a LS7 kit.
I'd like to buy a complete kit all together. The LS6/7 kits come with the disc, pressure plate, flywheel, and alignment tool all together. I've been told to stay away from Spec as well. And considering I have a Spec stage 2 that is having issues after only a few thousand miles Im not really too convinced I should go with another Spec clutch. I feel like something oem would be more reliable and that is what I've read on this forum and others. You know of any other similar budget set ups from other brands besides Spec?

Originally Posted by 1994_383_Z28
I have an LS7 with 404RWHP and I hate it.. I doubt it will hold the power for long.

But it's not heavy at all, so I don't know what you mean by that.
A stock Z06 makes 430-450rwhp. A lot of people in the high 400s-low 500s are running the LS7 set up just fine. So I can't understand how it won't hold your 404whp.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the way you drive your car sounds just like me. dd but I only drive mine in the summer, sometimes sea the track. mostly street fun. I'm running the ls7 clutch. made 423/379 on a mustang dyno. multiple burn outs. a couple in second gear. I do not shift soft either. idk how much power loss from there clutch being heavy but I made good power for my setup in my opinion.

that sob ls7 clutch and fly wheel is like 60lbs

clutch pedal feels great too.like stock. I'm also using a tick master cylinder which is so nice.

Last edited by autogeek23; 11-22-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by autogeek23
I'm running the ls7 clutch. made 423/379 on a mustang dyno. multiple burn outs. a couple in second gear. I do not shift soft either.

down side is the sob is heavy.

clutch pedal feels great too.like stock
Yeah the weight seems to be the biggest complaint people have. I basically want to know if the extra weight and strength (and price) is worth it at my current power and eventual 400whp goal. Once I go turbo I will upgrade regardless so I need something that will last about 2 years with the type of driving I described in the original post. I'm worried I've already damaged syncros or shift forks driving on the bad set up now so saving any amount of money would make a huge difference since I will likely need additional parts as well.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Launching!

When I spoke to chris with MonsterClutches he told me that if I went with the 18Lb flywheel instead of the 28Lb one it could get me around 8-10hp. and seeing that the 1000hp clutch setups have options of the 18lbs fly wheel as well I assume it would hold the power.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:40 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
And considering I have a Spec stage 2 that is having issues after only a few thousand miles Im not really too convinced I should go with another Spec clutch.
What issues are you having?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Pedal vibration (pressure plate), reverse is nearly impossible to put in gear, all the other gears are difficult, 3 and 4 have started grinding occasionally and 5 less often, violent chattering at low speed in 1st and reverse.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:23 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I did some looking around and found some other affordable options from sponsors:

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3543-ra...tq-rating.aspx

http://www.coloradospeed.com/procomp...6-p-29188.html
Old 11-22-2013, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Crate LS6 longblock in my '98 Z28 with all the bolt-ons (shorty headers though) and I put down 385 RWHP. When I did the longblock swap, I also installed a new LS6 clutch. Now, less than 10K miles later, my LS6 clutch slips very badly if I get any heat in it at all (during spirited driving) and I and I can't change gears until it cools down. I only go to the track occassionally and I have no more than 20, 1/4 miles passes on it.

For daily driving, the ls6 clutch was fine, but once you start putting track time on it, it won't last very long at close to 400 RWHP.

I can't speak to the LS7 clutch, because I don't have any experience with it, but I will say I have a Stage II Monster Clutch sitting in the garage waiting to go in now...
Old 11-22-2013, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an LS7 clutch in all its self adjusting glory... holds power just fine ( bolt on car) but wont shift quickly (or even what I would call regularly) at WOT , bled system with ranger method till fluid was clear etc... constantly flushing with new fluid every couple days in reservoir but helps very little havent ponied up for a tick adjustable master allthough I havent seen any LS7 clutch guys say that fixed the shift blocking issues.

The other thing often mentioned about them is how fast the fluid fouls with the ls7 clutch material vs premium aftermarket clutch materials - I can vouch for how quick it fouls fluid with clutch dust , lots of posts that that same dust wipes out seals on slaves causing them to need replacement.

I have read posts with weights to show how much heavier the ls7 is than stock but a leightweight flywheel can bring you back to approx stock weight , I think part of my problem is heavier than stock "assembly" on stock hydraulics and it stands to reason the heavier it is the more effort it will take to release it

I am fortunate that I can still drive mine normally , it sucks that you have to make a quick decision and I understand fitting it in your budget but at least now you know what your getting into. I have also seen comments that it worked great at first then started gear blocking - mine was replaced by previous owner andit did shift good the first month or so I owned it.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Monster stage 1
Old 11-22-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by murphinator
I have an LS7 clutch in all its self adjusting glory... holds power just fine ( bolt on car) but wont shift quickly (or even what I would call regularly) at WOT , bled system with ranger method till fluid was clear etc... constantly flushing with new fluid every couple days in reservoir but helps very little havent ponied up for a tick adjustable master allthough I havent seen any LS7 clutch guys say that fixed the shift blocking issues.

The other thing often mentioned about them is how fast the fluid fouls with the ls7 clutch material vs premium aftermarket clutch materials - I can vouch for how quick it fouls fluid with clutch dust , lots of posts that that same dust wipes out seals on slaves causing them to need replacement.

I have read posts with weights to show how much heavier the ls7 is than stock but a leightweight flywheel can bring you back to approx stock weight , I think part of my problem is heavier than stock "assembly" on stock hydraulics and it stands to reason the heavier it is the more effort it will take to release it

I am fortunate that I can still drive mine normally , it sucks that you have to make a quick decision and I understand fitting it in your budget but at least now you know what your getting into. I have also seen comments that it worked great at first then started gear blocking - mine was replaced by previous owner andit did shift good the first month or so I owned it.
Great feedback man thanks. I'm going to have to go with the LS7 kit. In a few months I can upgrade to a light weight flywheel but don't have the extra money for it right now. I'll have to deal with whatever issues it comes with until I can afford to get a Monster set up.
Originally Posted by mac62989
Monster stage 1
See above^ I know its only like 70 bucks more but I still can't afford it. The LS7 price is my max.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Great feedback man thanks. I'm going to have to go with the LS7 kit. In a few months I can upgrade to a light weight flywheel but don't have the extra money for it right now. I'll have to deal with whatever issues it comes with until I can afford to get a Monster set up.

See above^ I know its only like 70 bucks more but I still can't afford it. The LS7 price is my max.
Sounds like you're getting an ls7 then. I would not do the ls6. It's what the previous owner installed in mine at just over 400whp it never allowed quicks shifts and the pedal would turn to mush after a wot spurt and shift.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I get its your daily and you cant let it sit any longer than it should. I just believe in doing things right the first time. If you cant borrow, or sell something for that extra $70 then your in the wrong hobby to being with but thats just my opinion, goodluck to you.

Quick Reply: LS6 vs LS7 clutch for bolt on (eventually cam only) car?