Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Wont go in Gear in the Morning

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wont go in Gear in the Morning

Ok new guy here, tried seaching but wasnt hitting on the right thread.

So pretty much, I just purchased a 2002 Trans Am WS6 6 speed two days ago. Yesterday morning I let the car warm up about 15 mins. Jump in the car went into 1st gear perfect, drove maybe 30 feet. Stopping at the end of my driveway putting it in Neutral. I stopped to make a phone call. Go to put it back into 1st gear. Wont let me. So I try Reverse no go. I try every gear nothing. But I notice something. If Im forceful trying to put it into 1st gear the car will inch forward alittle. So I pump the clutch pedal some more. Just about to get out the car. And it finally goes into 1st gear. I drive off. I drove everywhere putting all most 75 miles stopping several times. No issues

This morning I check the Clutch Master Cyl. Dont see any fluid. I get some brake fluid from the barn and I add maybe 2 oz and it was full. After the car was warmed up, I try to put the car in reverse nothing. So I pump the clutch pedal maybe 10 times, I try reverse again nothing. But it was go into 1st gear. Try reverse again nothing, I put it in 1st gear again move forward maybe a foot. This time I'm kinda forceful and it goes into reverse I move the car maybe 30 feet. And after that no problem. I moved the car to take a pic for this forum (Complete boredom) and I move it back into the car port.

Kinda long but wanted to be specific. Im pretty sure its either the Master Cly or the Slave Cly. But figured yall seen this problem.

Last edited by Rok_Star_Bars; 11-27-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are alot of similar threads like yours.
I just finished replacing the OEM Master(2 times) with a OEM MC and it failed before I even drove the car. So I installed the Tick adjustable MC and it solved all my problems after installing a new clutch and slave.
Look for fluid down where your clutch pedal is. Attached to your pedal is the MC. Look for fluid coming out of the shaft or even on your carpet.
Make sure you dont have fluid coming out of the bottom of the tranmission where you will see a small opening gap.
Check the fluid in your transmission, might not be what's causing this but I believe I read where you just bought the car and it had a cam?
If it's your slave, it's inside your tranny, so it has to come out. If you replace the slave, buy a Tick speed bleeder.
There are 2 great video's on You Tube installing a clutch incase you did'nt know. One guy is on here, The BlueKnight, I believe that's the correct spelling.
I do not know exactly what is wrong with your car, but there is a alot of info on here that you can read while you wait for people to chime in. One thing I read, was don't try to force it in gear!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like a master issue. If it had 0 fluid in it it probably now has air in the line and needs a good bleed too, but that's part of installing a new master.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the info and replies. I will check out the Pedal area for Fluid. The Previous owner said he replaced the clutch last year, less then 10,000 miles ago (I have verified the mileage off of Carfax). Said he replaced the Clutch with the Z06 Clutch and a GM Throw-out bearing.

So Im pretty confident with going with the Master Cyl. But gonna check for leaks today.

I will check out Tick products
Old 11-28-2013, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

So I looked under the dash. Very Clean no sign of any leaking or wetness. But there an puddle about the size of an half dollar under the car. So I jacked the car up to investigate. The Hose going into the transmission is soaked. Right at the quick disconnect. Hope its just the O-ring. Probably just buy the Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder and be done. Any thoughts?
Old 11-28-2013, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rok_Star_Bars
So I looked under the dash. Very Clean no sign of any leaking or wetness. But there an puddle about the size of an half dollar under the car. So I jacked the car up to investigate. The Hose going into the transmission is soaked. Right at the quick disconnect. Hope its just the O-ring. Probably just buy the Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder and be done. Any thoughts?
My new OEM MC leaked on my floor mat.
I just put the LS7 clutch in and have only been able to put 200 miles on it cause of weather. But it's damn nice!
I would get someone to pump the pedal a few times while you see what happens with the disconnect. It could be leaking all the way where it's connected at the other end of the Master where you can't see it but you could feel it, and running all the way to the disconnect. Keep an eye on your fluid. Do a search on the people that installed the OEM MC, and other off brands and try to save up the $ for Tick's adjustable MC. After I installed the OEM MC ($60) at CarQuest, it started leaking out the shaft,just from pumping alot or the rough install caused it. So I ordered the Tick and it solved all my problems. Do you know if the person before you installed the new slave when they did the clutch?
I could not get any gear while the car was running. Cut the car off and it would go into all gears.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put up the money for a tick mc. best mod ive done hands down.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
My new OEM MC leaked on my floor mat.
I just put the LS7 clutch in and have only been able to put 200 miles on it cause of weather. But it's damn nice!
I would get someone to pump the pedal a few times while you see what happens with the disconnect. It could be leaking all the way where it's connected at the other end of the Master where you can't see it but you could feel it, and running all the way to the disconnect. Keep an eye on your fluid. Do a search on the people that installed the OEM MC, and other off brands and try to save up the $ for Tick's adjustable MC. After I installed the OEM MC ($60) at CarQuest, it started leaking out the shaft,just from pumping alot or the rough install caused it. So I ordered the Tick and it solved all my problems. Do you know if the person before you installed the new slave when they did the clutch?
I could not get any gear while the car was running. Cut the car off and it would go into all gears.
Yes... he said, he installed a new GM Throwout bearing/Slave Cyl when he did the clutch and Flywheel. Also he said he did the Drill bit mod to Master Cyl. Which I research today. Since he knew I was on this forum. He was trying to fill me in.

I saved $2000 on buying this car instead of another one that was 131 miles away for $10,988. Then I found this one for $8700, 30 miles way. This one has 60,000 more miles.... So I dont mind throwing alittle money at it. Just didnt want to turning any wrench on it quite yet. But 11 year old car over 150,000 miles. Its the name of the game.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
put up the money for a tick mc. best mod ive done hands down.
Thank!!!
Old 11-30-2013, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rok_Star_Bars
Thank!!!
no problem, i was alil scared 325 bucks for a master cylinder but when i put this along with my mcleod rxt twin disc its like butter. never driven another f body with such smooth shifting. fyi, i did the drill mod first and it did help but the tick mc solved it all. ill never own another m6 f body without one.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
no problem, i was alil scared 325 bucks for a master cylinder but when i put this along with my mcleod rxt twin disc its like butter. never driven another f body with such smooth shifting. fyi, i did the drill mod first and it did help but the tick mc solved it all. ill never own another m6 f body without one.
Yeah, I was telling a couple of my buddies about it. They are uneasy about it being true. I believe it. Im just waiting on them to do the Military discount on the Account. Then Im ordering it. Hopefully tomorrow, I Cant wait. The other day it was shifting pretty rough. The all the sudden it was to normal. And Im really hoping what I think is normal gets alot better. Last year a friend and I went in an built a honda together. And we raced it alot. The transmission on that thing was so smooth you could really bang the gear.

Quick Reply: Wont go in Gear in the Morning