Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Does Your 6 Speed Sound Like This?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does Your 6 Speed Sound Like This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnru9...ature=youtu.be

Can you guys please tell me if your car sounds like this one? y/n

My car makes the exact same noise, accept when the clutch is depressed to the floor. There was another thread on the board with the same question but there was no clear answer. Half the responses said that noise is normal for the t56 and the other half mentioned that would be a problem

I have a stock shifter and tranny, 77 000 miles. Previous owner replaced the clutch with a complete assembly from a 2001 z06 2 years ago. He's not sure if the pilot bearing was changed. Should I take down the tranny and have it inspected? Tranny shifts fine.

Thanks for any advice
Old 03-26-2014, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noisy pilot is all. Mine does it too. Eventually you will probably have to replace it. Mine has made the same noise for like 4 years now.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine has made the same sound since I installed a bronze pilot bushing, clutch, flywheel, slave, and rebuilt the transmission back in 2006. Has the car just started making this noise?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

noise when you push in the clutch is not good. If pilot bearing it won't get better, just worse. while replacing a pilot bearing is a PIA....far less cheaper than replacing it and dealing with a FU input shaft end...

a bad pilot will eventually kill the end of input shaft

while pilot bearings/bushings do wear out, you need to confirm the input shaft bearing is not the cause. when you pull tranny, confirm there is no slop in input shaft when replacing pilot
Old 03-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the feedback. I just picked the car up this October and it has been in storage since then. I didn't notice the noise till I started it up in the storage garage. Not sure when the noise started, the previous owner didn't mention anything.

I was planning on longtubes next winter. Would you guys keep driving with the tranny like this for one more summer, or should I just drop the transmission right now?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's honestly your call. I wouldn't do it IMO. As mentioned a bad pilot can ruin the input shaft which is about 200 bucks plus the bearing which is another 30 or so. So it's 10 bucks now and a lot of labor or possibly 250 later on with almost the same amount of labor
Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Launching!

It pisses me right off knowing that the lazy *** who worked on the clutch 2 yrs ago didn't think to change the pilot bearing. I will probably change it once I get the car out of storage, it bothers me when I know something is wrong with the car. I will gain a lot of confidence if I can pull this sob tranny off the car. Thanks for the input from everyone
Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Launching!

If the noise occurs when the pedal is depressed, it could also be the throw out bearing. The throw out bearing only rotates when the clutch pedal is depressed and the bearing is contacting the pressure plate fingers, which is spinning at engine rpm. The pilot bearing spins whenever the input shaft on the transmission is spinning, hence when the clutch disc and pressure plate are both spinning(clutch pedal up).
Old 03-28-2014, 06:22 AM
Launching!

Pilot bearing problem
Old 03-28-2014, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

It wasn't a t-56 but I had some bearing issues in an eclipse trans. I drove it until I could afford to fix it. Ended up taking out almost the entire trans. If I had fixed it when I first noticed it would have been a quarter the cost. Fix it now before the issue spreads.

My car makes a similar noise but only when the pedal is out in neutral. It's the gears moving inside without any load. I instected the trans and everything looked fine. Wasn't nearly as loud as that video though.

Definately a pilot or TOB.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:45 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WS6wanted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnru9...ature=youtu.be

Can you guys please tell me if your car sounds like this one? y/n

My car makes the exact same noise, accept when the clutch is depressed to the floor. There was another thread on the board with the same question but there was no clear answer. Half the responses said that noise is normal for the t56 and the other half mentioned that would be a problem

I have a stock shifter and tranny, 77 000 miles. Previous owner replaced the clutch with a complete assembly from a 2001 z06 2 years ago. He's not sure if the pilot bearing was changed. Should I take down the tranny and have it inspected? Tranny shifts fine.

Thanks for any advice
His sounds like a release bearing, but with yours making noise when in it sounds like a pilot bearing issue. I'd check it out if getting worse as it could do further damage, hope that helps.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine makes that dragging noise when the pedal is depressed when stopped and when I depress at speed for a downshift rev-match and when I first lift the pedal to back out of the garage in the morning.

Is this my pilot bearing? The slave was replaced with the clutch and flywheel about 28k ago and has made this noise since.

My trans has other issues, so I'm assuming when I take it to have it rebuilt (possibly by Tick) I'll just have to add the cost of an input shaft to the mix.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

has this issue been resolved,
i got a new clutch,new fly wheel , new pilot bearing and new throw out bearing, new slave also,
and my car has a similar if not the same sound. when foot is off the clutch peddle the noise is there. when i put foot on clutch peddle and push it down noise goes away,
called the shop back and they said that is normal? and that its not a clutch issues since there is no noise when i press down on clutch they claim its a transmission issue

any any idea or help?
Old 04-23-2014, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

venom

with car in neutral, clutch out, engine on with LT1 "pull" type clutches a "noise" often referred to as sounding like "marbles in a can" is normal. When clutch is pushed in or tranny is engaged in a gear it does not happen

noise when pushing clutch in, not good

not saying all or "your" noise is this but the LT1 T56 set up was known to do this. Can it be something else, yes.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
venom

with car in neutral, clutch out, engine on with LT1 "pull" type clutches a "noise" often referred to as sounding like "marbles in a can" is normal. When clutch is pushed in or tranny is engaged in a gear it does not happen

noise when pushing clutch in, not good

not saying all or "your" noise is this but the LT1 T56 set up was known to do this. Can it be something else, yes.
Thanks for the reply,
i have a 98 TA 6 speed i had also read that the t-56 is a bit noisy i was just asking because of my paranoia haha car runs really smooth no shifting problem whats so ever i guess it just being at the stop light in Neutral with no music playing you can year just about all the squeaks and noises from these cars

thanks a lot for your input.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine made the same noise with the clutch released, but silent when clutch depressed. The pilot bearing and input shaft were fine. With the clutch released the input shaft does not spin inside the pilot bearing, so I don't see how the pilot bearing could be making noise. I didn't worry about it, I just figured it was normal noise from the shafts and gears free spinning without much of any load on them.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Mine made the same noise with the clutch released, but silent when clutch depressed. The pilot bearing and input shaft were fine. With the clutch released the input shaft does not spin inside the pilot bearing, so I don't see how the pilot bearing could be making noise. I didn't worry about it, I just figured it was normal noise from the shafts and gears free spinning without much of any load on them.
I'm a little confused with this. When you first start the car in neutral and have the clutch out, the input shaft must be spinning a little in order for the transmission gears to free spin within the tranny, yea? Thus causing the pilot bearing noise. I'm going to take my tranny out regardless and change the bearing
Old 04-23-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6wanted
I'm a little confused with this. When you first start the car in neutral and have the clutch out, the input shaft must be spinning a little in order for the transmission gears to free spin within the tranny, yea? Thus causing the pilot bearing noise. I'm going to take my tranny out regardless and change the bearing
Clutch depressed = trans input shaft is stopped or spinning slower than crank, which means the inner and outer races of the pilot bearing are spinning at different speeds.

Clutch released = trans input shaft is spinning at the same speed as the crank, which means the inner and outer races of the pilot bearing are spinning at the same speed.

I'd think the pilot bearing would only make noise if the inner and outer races of the bearing are spinning at different speeds. If they are at the same speed the bearing is essentially stationary, so what is there to make noise? I may be wrong. But I had the same exact noise and I pulled the trans a couple weeks ago and the pilot bearing and input shaft were just fine.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of T56's probably have this issue but the noise is barely audible. About the only time you can hear it is in the garage with all the windows up. But the marbling on your video is noiser than most of the rattling I've heard before. Does any of that rattling show up in the various gears at higher rpms? Installing an aftermarket shifter sometimes makes the noise louder when the replacement shifter is not as efficiently sound-deadened as the factory unit. On some cars just lightly applying pressure to the shifter **** will make the rattle change it's sound (louder or much weaker). I've even noticed in one car that moving my head from side near the shifter can make the sound come and go. You wouldn't think that applying slight pressure to the shift **** in various directions (up, down, sideways) and making the rattle sound change would be indicative of changing the alignment/positioning of a pilot/input shaft/or throwout bearing. I leave that analysis to the T56 Techs.

I've read dozens of threads on the internet about T56's rattling in neutral (Camaro's, Firebirds, Mustangs, Vipers, Vettes, etc.). Some of them having this from day 1. The hard part is deciphering what's "normal" and harmless vs. something more aggressive. If you test drive a car with windows down or stereo on, the chances are excellent you'd never hear it. A lot of guys who just did a transmission overhaul with clutch upgrade complain of these same rattles. There's no guarantee they go away. It's the T56. Google "T56 noise" or "T56 rattles" etc. and you'll find hours of reading material. When you're all done, you still won't be sure one way or the other with your own specific rattle. If the noise is only present in neutral or at low rpms in the lower gears, I'd be less concerned. The video shows a rebuilt/aftermarket trans/clutch set up with no sound isolation (no boot, no console, trans exposed, etc.). I guess it would be noisy. A >77K mile leftover pilot bearing (and others) is not such a good thing.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...on-rattle.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...you-think.html

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-09-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Launching!

I think I'm going to need a second opinion. It may be normal or it may need a pilot. It would suck to change the pilot and nothing changes. I'm was looking to dyno the car at champion motors, I'm going to ask them what they think since they see a lot of t56's. If they say it is more loud than others, I won't dyno and drive my *** home.

Quick Reply: Does Your 6 Speed Sound Like This?