Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Would a 2 step work as no-lift-shift on t56

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would a 2 step work as no-lift-shift on t56

Say you shift at 6500 rpm, set the first stage of the 2 step at about 6000-6200, then the second stage wherever.

Would this work effectively or will something get F'ed up
Old 05-07-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just watched that 1320 video with the ZR1 and ZL1, didn't you
Old 05-07-2014, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Ha, no, what video. Now that you mention I'm going to search for it
Old 05-07-2014, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Found it.

Well it looks and sounds like a 2 step. I dont see why it wouldnt work with a 2 step set somewhere between the rpm you shift at and what the rpm is after the shift is completed. Probably have to make some passes and get it right where you want it

Old 05-08-2014, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

thats all i do. i use the lnc-003 unit. and its wired to the clutch pedal so every time u hit the clutch it activates. i just set the one rpm level where i want to leave say 5k rpm and every time i shift it cuts spark bc its over 5k while keeping pedal to the floor. works great for me.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Yea now that you mention it, setting the first rpm on two step at what rpm you're in after the shift wouldn't even matter because it activates with the clutch. So you could set it wherever you want really
Old 05-08-2014, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

I take that back. I think i would still like to find what the rpm is after shifting and set the first stage to that rpm, that way the engine and transmission is going the same speed when the clutch is released
Old 05-22-2014, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

n2mb WOT box has a 2step and no lift shift built in. $150 and it works great. You pick your 2 step rpm and your no lift shift activates at WOT.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm interested in this as well..... who else uses this?
Old 05-24-2014, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
thats all i do. i use the lnc-003 unit. and its wired to the clutch pedal so every time u hit the clutch it activates. i just set the one rpm level where i want to leave say 5k rpm and every time i shift it cuts spark bc its over 5k while keeping pedal to the floor. works great for me.

Blue99fbody Fastest t56 fbody 8 80@155 - YouTube
How does this work when on N2O? wouldn't it still have the kit active since your still WOT?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nitrous

You could have the nitrous disabled based on the clutch switch input so when ever the clutch switch is depressed, the nitrous is off (our NCC-002 nitrous controller allows you to do that).

You would likely also want an RPM window switch for the nitrous enable so that as you momentarily over-rev on the WOT shift the nitrous turns off above X rpm (again, some nitrous controllers have this built in while others would require a separate RPM window switch).

Originally Posted by BigDB
How does this work when on N2O? wouldn't it still have the kit active since your still WOT?
Old 05-27-2014, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDB
no i just ran another relay and when the clutch is pressed it interupts the wot signal. so the nitrous dont activate and see wot untill i drop the clutch and it cuts between shifts
Old 05-28-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

This was the first time i tried out the no lift shift feature on the n2mb box, hence the early shift. I wanted to leave some room in case of error lol.

Fish around my channel and you'll find the 2step video as well

Old 05-29-2014, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no i just ran another relay and when the clutch is pressed it interupts the wot signal. so the nitrous dont activate and see wot untill i drop the clutch and it cuts between shifts
thanks for the info. Ill defiantly do this once I get to wiring my kit back up. Ill be running a HSW MicroEdge but will defiantly have a learning curve.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
This was the first time i tried out the no lift shift feature on the n2mb box, hence the early shift. I wanted to leave some room in case of error lol.

Fish around my channel and you'll find the 2step video as well

Turbo Trans Am N2MB WOT Box no-lift shift test - YouTube
Very cool. Where did you purchase yours?
Old 05-30-2014, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSjyGQ1p_Qg
I never thought about this. I have an MSD 2-step, technically it should work the same way, no? If I have it set up to launch at 5,800 and I shift at 6,400, if I pushed in the clutch while WOT, it should cut ignition and help with WOT shifting...?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MSD as shift torque cut

Unless MSD has changed the activation logic they use, I believe the MSD uses a latched type RPM configuration such that the 2-step won't activate again until your RPM drops some percentage below the set point. This is designed to allow the MSD to only activate at the line and not on each following gear change. This means you would have to let the engine RPM drop significantly between the gear changes for it to activate the 2-step, making for very slow shifts and likely defeating the purpose of doing a WOT shift.

The Lingenfelter 2-step doesn't have that latched feature and that is why you need some other input in order for it not to activate each time you press in the clutch and apply the brake (or how ever you have it activated).

Not very familiar with the n2mb WOT box but since it is designed to be a gear shift torque cut, I doubt it has this latched feature either.

Originally Posted by Grifter
I never thought about this. I have an MSD 2-step, technically it should work the same way, no? If I have it set up to launch at 5,800 and I shift at 6,400, if I pushed in the clutch while WOT, it should cut ignition and help with WOT shifting...?
Old 05-31-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
Unless MSD has changed the activation logic they use, I believe the MSD uses a latched type RPM configuration such that the 2-step won't activate again until your RPM drops some percentage below the set point. This is designed to allow the MSD to only activate at the line and not on each following gear change. This means you would have to let the engine RPM drop significantly between the gear changes for it to activate the 2-step, making for very slow shifts and likely defeating the purpose of doing a WOT shift.

The Lingenfelter 2-step doesn't have that latched feature and that is why you need some other input in order for it not to activate each time you press in the clutch and apply the brake (or how ever you have it activated).

Not very familiar with the n2mb WOT box but since it is designed to be a gear shift torque cut, I doubt it has this latched feature either.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the LPE one and works great. very spimple and been working perfect for years. just tied it to the clutch switch (think it was pin 21? but its a while wire off the pcm) and thats it for trigger. So it works on launch and engages any shift over the set rpm.
I noticed different setting it will change how fast is will backfire on a shift. I thinks its how the LPE turns off coils, how many in what order, for how many fuel charges end up in the exhaust. I might be way off but noticed a 100 rpm change 6400 to 6500 will change if there is a delay or not and I can "beat the backfire". Some settings WOT shiftlight comes on clutch in will backfire riiiight at clutch in, other rpm settings might have a slight delay. It might not be the lpe setting at all, could be what rpm (how much over the setting, the engine is) if I was 100% WOT or lifted a little (depends on how good of shape the trans was in when it was had syncos)

see sig for pic. shiftlight on 2step engaged while kicking the clutch
Old 06-03-2014, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
I have the LPE one and works great. very spimple and been working perfect for years. just tied it to the clutch switch (think it was pin 21? but its a while wire off the pcm) and thats it for trigger. So it works on launch and engages any shift over the set rpm.
I noticed different setting it will change how fast is will backfire on a shift. I thinks its how the LPE turns off coils, how many in what order, for how many fuel charges end up in the exhaust. I might be way off but noticed a 100 rpm change 6400 to 6500 will change if there is a delay or not and I can "beat the backfire". Some settings WOT shiftlight comes on clutch in will backfire riiiight at clutch in, other rpm settings might have a slight delay. It might not be the lpe setting at all, could be what rpm (how much over the setting, the engine is) if I was 100% WOT or lifted a little (depends on how good of shape the trans was in when it was had syncos)

see sig for pic. shiftlight on 2step engaged while kicking the clutch
my buddies 003 will backfire every shift but never once did my car backfire on a shift no matter where it was set

Quick Reply: Would a 2 step work as no-lift-shift on t56