Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch out of balance or poly trans mount causing vibration??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch out of balance or poly trans mount causing vibration??

Hey guys, I have about 250 miles on this new turbo 5.3 / tr6060 magnum with monster lt1-sc clutch. I have noticed tonight there was a big of a vibration which seemed like a pinion angle vibration. I didnt notice the vibration until i just recently installed a polly trans mount. Does anybody else have a vibration at 1500+ rpm with poly/poly or should it be smooth ? Anyone else have this issue? I thought the monster clutch's were suppose to be balanced so I never had it checked. I will call them in the morning but would like some advice because I am freaking out a bit because Im thinking the trans has to come back out.

Last edited by josh4ku; 05-11-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Bump..
Old 05-12-2015, 07:59 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Josh, I'm pretty sure monster clutches come already balanced - at least I know mine did. I bought mine with the flywheel. I've seen posts in the past where someone bought everything else and surfaced the flywheel only to find they had to be rebalanced as a unit, but I have not experienced this for myself - I always just buy the flywheel with the kit.

I will also say that I did put a poly mount in and then rip it back out due to vibrations, so that's worth a try first, but if it's doing it with the clutch in and its rpm related, you're probably screwed
Old 05-12-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

I was thinking they were balanced also, my flywheel did come with the clutch. Yes the vibration is rpm related with clutch pressed in also. I think it was there before but it is just alot worse now with the mount. I dont feel comfortable running it the way it is. I will see what monster sais, I dont see it being anything else.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:22 PM

I agree. It might be worth checking to make sure you don't have a plug wire loose or something stupid like a vacuum line coming loose, but it sounds like you'll be on the phone with the vendor. Pulling it a second time stinks. if it's any consolation, stuff will come apart easier the second time

Monster is made by SNL Performance, and they stand behind their stuff as well as anyone.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I agree. It might be worth checking to make sure you don't have a plug wire loose or something stupid like a vacuum line coming loose, but it sounds like you'll be on the phone with the vendor. Pulling it a second time stinks. if it's any consolation, stuff will come apart easier the second time

Monster is made by SNL Performance, and they stand behind their stuff as well as anyone.
I contacted monster and they said they have never had a clutch come back out of balance. The engine runs smooth, I am for sure its not a plug or vacuum line etc, it feels for sure like a rotating mass vibration. I didn't notice it until I installed the poly trans amount.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:33 AM

I didn't think it would be something that simple, but sometimes you get lucky. I would definitely try putting the stock mount in before I yanked the transmission. Good luck
Old 05-14-2015, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I didn't think it would be something that simple, but sometimes you get lucky. I would definitely try putting the stock mount in before I yanked the transmission. Good luck
well I put the stock mount in and it is a lot smoother. there is a still a little bit of vibration but not near what it was. so im not sure what to think.

Quick Reply: clutch out of balance or poly trans mount causing vibration??