Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What is the benefit of carbon blocker rings & micropolish internals

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the benefit of carbon blocker rings & micropolish internals

Just ordered a level 4 magnum from rpm. Just thinking maybe I should have went with level 5 with carbon blocker rings or even level 6 with micropolish. What are the benefits of these options? Can't find a clear answer.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Carbon blocker rings replaced the paper ones, IIRC, somewhere back in 98-99. While I suppose paper could be found to use in a rebuild Carbon is what Tremac started using back then.

With carbon blockers you can use synthetic fluid as the paper did not, over time, hold up well with synthetic fluid

some with a higher pay scale than me re: trannys can comment on benefits/need for micro polish
Old 03-26-2016, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ******
Carbon blocker rings replaced the paper ones, IIRC, somewhere back in 98-99. While I suppose paper could be found to use in a rebuild Carbon is what Tremac started using back then.

With carbon blockers you can use synthetic fluid as the paper did not, over time, hold up well with synthetic fluid

some with a higher pay scale than me re: trannys can comment on benefits/need for micro polish
So the new magnums come with paper then?
Old 03-26-2016, 04:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by josh4ku
So the new magnums come with paper then?
I doubt it. Ask the vendor you choose what it has.

Given Tremac stopped using them in the T56 around 98, I would think the later version, Magnum, uses carbon. But again, ask the source of your tranny purchase
Old 03-26-2016, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Edit:

I see on Ticks site they offer carbon blockers on their upgrade so perhaps they don't come that way from Tremac for the Magnum

FWIW when I called D&D a few weeks ago asking if the T56 I bought from them in 05 came with carbon and they said it did.

IDK if the "Magnum" does so ask the vendor
Old 03-26-2016, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Paper or carbon what is the benefit of carbon other than synthetic oil can be used ?
Old 03-26-2016, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

My understanding is carbon is more durable.

The note on synthetic tranny fluid was about what synthetic fluids have been reported to cause paper blocker rings to break down.

I am sure Tick, D&D, etc can explain in detail why/what blocker ring material is best

From Reading Ticks part breakdown they note carbon rings as part of it so I assume the Magnum does not come with them on all gears
Old 03-27-2016, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Magnum synchronizers have brass lined, triple cone blocker rings except 2nd gear rings are carbon fiber lined.

I just finished going through mine and replaced 1-4 blocker rings with the cf lined rings (TUES10357). Same used for 2nd gear.

To use these cf rings for 3rd and 4th gear, the original, thicker inner rings have to be reused.

I did this modification at the direction of George at Rockland Standard Gear. It shifts great after it gets warmed up with Amsoil Synchromesh. Going to try some Redline D4 next.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSSTANG#1
Magnum synchronizers have brass lined, triple cone blocker rings except 2nd gear rings are carbon fiber lined.

I just finished going through mine and replaced 1-4 blocker rings with the cf lined rings (TUES10357). Same used for 2nd gear.

To use these cf rings for 3rd and 4th gear, the original, thicker inner rings have to be reused.

I did this modification at the direction of George at Rockland Standard Gear. It shifts great after it gets warmed up with Amsoil Synchromesh. Going to try some Redline D4 next.
So do they last longer? Make shifts better? Handle more power? I'll cal rpm and ask Monday. But what is the real benefit . They seem expensive option I think $550 at rpm
Old 03-27-2016, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by josh4ku
So do they last longer? Make shifts better? Handle more power? I'll cal rpm and ask Monday. But what is the real benefit . They seem expensive option I think $550 at rpm
The carbon fiber will endure more abuse than brass. I smoked the original fourth gear synchro blocker rings on one missed shift.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSSTANG#1
The carbon fiber will endure more abuse than brass. I smoked the original fourth gear synchro blocker rings on one missed shift.
Ok. I'll probably have them add that option.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Micropolishing removes any excess flashing left on gears and shafts after the original machining process. When you have metal on metal running, the polishing helps reduce friction which in turn reduces heat build up and creates a smoother shift and it can also reduce vibration with less wear and tear on bearings and other parts. I have an RPM stage 5 T-56 and I can tell the difference between what the original setup was and the upgraded version. I run the Redline D4 fluid and it shifts good still have to let it warm up some though. The polishing can also reduce failures by removing the stress risers as they are referred to. I will try to explain what a stress riser is for those of you who may not know. Stress risers are sharp edges or can also be grind marks left from a machining process which can and will cause a failure in that particular area of the base metal material in which the gear or shaft is manufactured from, by removing these areas and smoothing them out (blending) as we call it in the business I am in (ASME Pressure vessels) we can eliminate the material from breaking or cracking. Hope this helps! I am by know means an expert but have learned a lot over the 37 years I have been in metal fabrication.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2011grandsport
Micropolishing removes any excess flashing left on gears and shafts after the original machining process. When you have metal on metal running, the polishing helps reduce friction which in turn reduces heat build up and creates a smoother shift and it can also reduce vibration with less wear and tear on bearings and other parts. I have an RPM stage 5 T-56 and I can tell the difference between what the original setup was and the upgraded version. I run the Redline D4 fluid and it shifts good still have to let it warm up some though. The polishing can also reduce failures by removing the stress risers as they are referred to. I will try to explain what a stress riser is for those of you who may not know. Stress risers are sharp edges or can also be grind marks left from a machining process which can and will cause a failure in that particular area of the base metal material in which the gear or shaft is manufactured from, by removing these areas and smoothing them out (blending) as we call it in the business I am in (ASME Pressure vessels) we can eliminate the material from breaking or cracking. Hope this helps! I am by know means an expert but have learned a lot over the 37 years I have been in metal fabrication.
Thanks for that info!

Quick Reply: What is the benefit of carbon blocker rings & micropolish internals