Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How do you break in an engine with a brand new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default How do you break in an engine with a brand new clutch?

Realized I might be tackling this (depending on the condition of my current clutch) soon when I finish my build.

So since most people recommend putting a pretty hefty load on the engine during its first few hours (aka Dyno time) and most clutch manufacturers recommend very easy driving for the first 500 miles, what do you do?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Weird, I was told to break in my new engine by keeping it under 3000 rpms for 500 miles but downshift at every red light and let the motor take the load of stopping. After 500 miles same thing except not over 4500 rpms. Dyno tuned at 1000 miles, both clutch and motor were broken in at that time, and made 850 rwhp.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check this out:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

According to this (and a bunch of other ones i've read) you should do a series of medium to hard throttle pulls (if you're on a dyno) to allow the rings to seat. Obv this is a no-no with a new clutch.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

I have heard the same thing and have read it but I was told differently so I followed their instructions. They told me the most important part was letting the engine take the load slowing down to seat the rings.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

on clutch break in you just don't want to slip it or do high rpm clutch dumps for 1st 500 mi. Just drive it "normal"

on motor you need to set the rings by accelerate to 35-40 in 2nd and let off gas so rings get loaded on decal. Do this a few times, go to 45-50 in third, same decal a few times. Keep motor under 4500 during this process. I change the oil and cut open filter to inspect for any shavings. Then at 500 mi do another oil/filter change then just normal oil/filter after that

you can break in new clutch & motor without affecting either negatively. Just don't bitch slap either until 500 mi.

On the initial motor start up I keep RPM up to about 2k for at least 10 min. more to get the oil flowing good and engine up to temp while checking for leaks and using a temp gun religiously on the exhaust headers to confirm all cyl are basically same temp. If one is cold or hotter significantly than others, shut down and find the "why".
Old 05-05-2016, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your clutch now is working fine I would just go with it for a few hundred miles then order you a new one. LME told me to break mine in on the dyno lol. But I put probably 50 miles on it street tuning it then hit the dyno. But those first 50 miles weren't easy.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I break in my clutch like I am going to use it. Had about 30 stop amd go miles on it before it went for wot shifts and then went to the track. No issues what so ever.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

ignore both and just drive it how you like.

All that clutch break in stuff is bullshit and largely to try and cover the sellers etc from retarded drivers who are ******* clueless and might go out and try and slip the ***** out of it.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

^^ he agrees with me lol. I put in big truck clutches and tractor clutches. Truck left the shop and hooks to a load within hours of being done.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

According to this (and a bunch of other ones i've read)
You should probably listen to your engine builder, you know the guy that actually put together your engine, rather than some know-it-alls on the intrawebs.

All the engine builders I spoke with during my rebuild who I was considering going with told me the same thing as far as the engine:

good break in oil for about 20 minutes varying RPM and not going over 3000
flush
good break in oil for about 500 miles, not going WOT or over 5000rpm and not staying at a steady state eg. cruising. Always vary RPM and loads, so acceleration through all gears then coasting back down.
flush
Old 05-06-2016, 08:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by redtan
You should probably listen to your engine builder, you know the guy that actually put together your engine, rather than some know-it-alls on the intrawebs.

All the engine builders I spoke with during my rebuild who I was considering going with told me the same thing as far as the engine:

flush
good break in oil for about 500 miles, not going WOT or over 5000rpm and not staying at a steady state eg. cruising. Always vary RPM and loads, so acceleration through all gears then coasting back down.
Very similar to what I was told and did with mine.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol, I'm actually assembling the engine myself, so..

I was thinking of using my current clutch. I'm pretty sure it's stock (and I have no idea how old it is) so I wasn't sure if it would be able to stand up to the sudden increase in power.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a carbon clutch, I was beating on my RPS unit after one short drive and heat cycle. They told me I could take it to the track the same weekend I installed it if I wanted.

Last edited by conan; 05-06-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:30 PM
9 Second Club

flush
flush
You'd wonder how many race engines follow this procedure....especially drag race ones....engines that may never even run for 500 miles their entire life nevermind for running in.

If the engine is built right, bore prep etc good...then running in will happen naturally under almost any driving conditions, but the worst thing you'd do is take it easy.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:44 AM
TECH Junkie

engines that may never even run for 500 miles their entire life nevermind for running in
Key point there. If an engine is only going to be used for a few hundred miles then who cares? Of course such an engine will have a different break in procedure than a street engine.

The whole point of this is for an engine that you hope to last a few hundred thousand miles, not a few hundred miles...

If the engine is built right, bore prep etc good...then running in will happen naturally under almost any driving conditions, but the worst thing you'd do is take it easy.
So you're saying all those engine builders that are recommending easy break in procedures are actually trying to screw you over by telling you to go easy on the engine when in reality you should be driving hard so that your engine doesn't last long and you come back to them for more work?
Old 05-07-2016, 06:54 AM
9 Second Club

Key point there. If an engine is only going to be used for a few hundred miles then who cares? Of course such an engine will have a different break in procedure than a street engine.

The whole point of this is for an engine that you hope to last a few hundred thousand miles, not a few hundred miles...

So you're saying all those engine builders that are recommending easy break in procedures are actually trying to screw you over by telling you to go easy on the engine when in reality you should be driving hard so that your engine doesn't last long and you come back to them for more work?

And you think OEM's run in every engine or rely on customers to do so ?

No.

Why people give misinformation about what is required about running in is up to them really.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Why people give misinformation about what is required about running in is up to them really.
Do you have proof that that way to breakin an engine is in fact wrong, or are you just going by what you think?

Frankly, I'd rather listen to the advice of an engine builder who does this for a living rather than some random cat online who may or may not even have ever touched the inside of an engine before. Last I checked, it's the engine builder that will be warrantying the engine and not the keyboard warrior.

And you think OEM's run in every engine or rely on customers to do so ?
So why do many OEMs then specifically state in the user manual how to drive the car for the first hundred or thousand miles? Is it just for kicks cuz they're bored and wanted to fill some empty space on a page?
Old 05-07-2016, 06:34 PM
9 Second Club

Do you have proof that that way to breakin an engine is in fact wrong, or are you just going by what you think?

Frankly, I'd rather listen to the advice of an engine builder who does this for a living rather than some random cat online who may or may not even have ever touched the inside of an engine before. Last I checked, it's the engine builder that will be warrantying the engine and not the keyboard warrior.

So why do many OEMs then specifically state in the user manual how to drive the car for the first hundred or thousand miles? Is it just for kicks cuz they're bored and wanted to fill some empty space on a page?
LOL.

Do whatever you like, I'l do what I know works having built and tuned hundreds of engines over the years.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Do whatever you like, I'l do what I know works having built and tuned hundreds of engines over the years.
Cool. So if the other method of breaking it in slowly and also works, then how can you say it's wrong?
Old 05-07-2016, 07:18 PM
9 Second Club

Cool. So if the other method of breaking it in slowly and also works, then how can you say it's wrong?
And where did I say it is wrong ?

Quick Reply: How do you break in an engine with a brand new clutch?