Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Which McLeod Twin Disc for my TR6060

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which McLeod Twin Disc for my TR6060

Hi Guys,

I am converting my LS3 RX7 with a TR6060 to twin turbo and i need to get a new clutch to handle the power but i'm not sure which option to get as I am very new to American V8's and LS engines in general as I have been driving Skylines for the last 11 years.

It currently has an LS7 clutch if that makes any difference?

I would like to get the Street twin as from what i have read, that's the best one to get. Looking at running around 900rwhp. At some point in the future, I expect i will need to upgrade the box to a Magnum. Is that clutch interchangeable?

I was going to buy from Summit Racing unless there is somewhere that is alot cheaper? As the turbo kit i am buying is from a guy in Florida so getting all parts shipped to him first, he will then pack it all up and sent it off for me together.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

For the LSx motor you want either the McLeod RST (organic discs) or the RXT (ceramic puc) "twin" clutch. The later more suited for track use

Shop around. Summit, Jegs, this one is from Tick. You may be able to use use your current LS7 FW, check the notes on the clutch. Otherwise buy the FW needed from McLeod.

http://www.tickperformance.com/mcleo...-capacity-800/

or for 1000 HP and primarily track use:

http://www.tickperformance.com/mcleo...capacity-1000/
Old 12-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
For the LSx motor you want either the McLeod RST (organic discs) or the RXT (ceramic puc) "twin" clutch. The later more suited for track use

Shop around. Summit, Jegs, this one is from Tick. You may be able to use use your current LS7 FW, check the notes on the clutch. Otherwise buy the FW needed from McLeod.

http://www.tickperformance.com/mcleo...-capacity-800/

or for 1000 HP and primarily track use:

http://www.tickperformance.com/mcleo...capacity-1000/
Great, thanks for that.

Would the stock flywheel be OK for that sort of power or would it be worth getting the steel or Ali one?
Old 12-30-2016, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

if you are really making 900 RWHP....most would recommend a SFI rated billet FW.

I got the best $ on my Street Twin from Jegs so shop around
Old 12-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

if you are really making 900 RWHP....most would recommend a SFI rated billet FW.

I got the best $ on my Street Twin from Jegs so shop around
The turbos i am buying are 6766's so they will make more than that. I am limiting it to around that for now but would like to know i have the gear in place in case i want to crank the boost and make more.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

if you are headed to even higher HP than 900....might want to look into triple disc clutch

http://monsterclutches.com/1998-2002...ace-multi-disc
Old 12-30-2016, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

if you are headed to even higher HP than 900....might want to look into triple disc clutch

http://monsterclutches.com/1998-2002...ace-multi-disc
Its main use is street and i think 900whp is going to be more than enough for the road for now. I think the twin will be fine for that and my ***** arent big enough to go for more, at least not yet.

Plus i don't want a heavy clutch as had them on my GTR's and they are no fun in traffic!
Old 12-30-2016, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

If you are driving on the street, especially in traffic, you want a full face organic disc clutch. It will drive like stock and have same pedal effort as stock. Get the RST

I have been very happy with my McLeod Twin.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:11 AM
Staging Lane

If you are driving on the street, especially in traffic, you want a full face organic disc clutch. It will drive like stock and have same pedal effort as stock. Get the RST

I have been very happy with my McLeod Twin.
Did you have to get the adjustable master cylinder? There is not much room at all for the master cylinder as it is so not the best idea for me to get that clutch if i have to fit that as well.

The Monster Twins are looking good though?
Old 12-31-2016, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

McLeod advises using stock hydraulics (MC/Slave) with the RST/RXT twin clutch for LSx motors.

I have a LT1 and the McLeod "Street Twin" which does require, and comes with, a larger MC (13/16" bore)
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (10-03-2023)
Old 12-31-2016, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

McLeod advises using stock hydraulics (MC/Slave) with the RST/RXT twin clutch for LSx motors.

I have a LT1 and the McLeod "Street Twin" which does require, and comes with, a larger MC (13/16" bore)
Ahh OK, thanks. I must have been looking at the wrong one.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexLSx7
Hi Guys,

I am converting my LS3 RX7 with a TR6060 to twin turbo and i need to get a new clutch to handle the power but i'm not sure which option to get as I am very new to American V8's and LS engines in general as I have been driving Skylines for the last 11 years.

It currently has an LS7 clutch if that makes any difference?

I would like to get the Street twin as from what i have read, that's the best one to get. Looking at running around 900rwhp. At some point in the future, I expect i will need to upgrade the box to a Magnum. Is that clutch interchangeable?

I was going to buy from Summit Racing unless there is somewhere that is alot cheaper? As the turbo kit i am buying is from a guy in Florida so getting all parts shipped to him first, he will then pack it all up and sent it off for me together.
What is the intended use of the car ?

There are a few guys in the UK using the ACT twin, and I used it myself for quite some time. It gripped far above it's 875hp rating, I used the T2 twin organic. Chosen so it would drive perfectly normally and I had no intention drag racing it with big tyres.
Richard Ingram in the UK sometimes has these in stock, but they're a very good price from usual retailers.

But either the RST or RXT should easily cover your needs as it's in a fairly light vehicle. Likewise would some of the ACT's with the paddle style discs.

Any of the clutches should be fine with either T56 or Magnum.

Monster is another option...but check whether some of their triples will fit inside whatever bellhousing you are using, as this seems to be a deciding factor as to why some later cars can use a triple...and older ones cannot, or maybe it's length of spline on the input shaft, the Magnums having a long spline.

A lot will depend on actual usage though.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

If the car has street tires, the LS7 clutch will hold fine, because you are just going to spin the tires. In fact, I would keep it until it is worn out, then think about upgrading.

Andrew
Old 01-03-2017, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need more holding power than the lower level Rxt with that much power. I would talk to Mcleod before you buy one and let them give a recommendation.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Ls7 lasted half a day at the track, This was on a drag radial. I went with a Street twin it worked well but was very heavy pedal. Glazed the **** out of the clutch, my fault and put in the RXT. Really like the feel of that clutch but it hasn't scene any track days.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the suggestions guys. A thing to remember my car only weighs about 1250kg so it is not going to have as much strain on the clutch as a heavier car like a camaro.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

And again...usage is all important.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Alex

you can contact Billy or Lee (email or call tech dept) at McLeod to discuss your specific build to either use the RST (full face organic disc) or the RXT (ceramic puc disc) based on your intended use of the car. The RXT disc will put up with more track use but like so many things on modified cars there is always a trade off. The ceramic puc discs are less forgiving on clutch chatter in city driving. Much of that can be minimized by adjusting your engagement technique (RPM and pedal release time) which you will have to find the "sweet spot" on clutch engagement in city driving
Old 01-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And again...usage is all important.
I mentioned quite a few posts back that it is a street car.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
What is the intended use of the car ?

There are a few guys in the UK using the ACT twin, and I used it myself for quite some time. It gripped far above it's 875hp rating, I used the T2 twin organic. Chosen so it would drive perfectly normally and I had no intention drag racing it with big tyres.
Richard Ingram in the UK sometimes has these in stock, but they're a very good price from usual retailers.

But either the RST or RXT should easily cover your needs as it's in a fairly light vehicle. Likewise would some of the ACT's with the paddle style discs.

Any of the clutches should be fine with either T56 or Magnum.

Monster is another option...but check whether some of their triples will fit inside whatever bellhousing you are using, as this seems to be a deciding factor as to why some later cars can use a triple...and older ones cannot, or maybe it's length of spline on the input shaft, the Magnums having a long spline.

A lot will depend on actual usage though.
Thanks, i will also look into the ACT clutches.

Quick Reply: Which McLeod Twin Disc for my TR6060