Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS1 Stock Hurst shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Stock Hurst shifter

Just picked up a Hugger SS and it has the non Hurst shifter and I can't stand it. Was wondering if the factory GM Hurst shifter with a short stick would give the car a better feel. Have considered the MGW but would rather not spend that much money on a shifter and put it toward other parts for the car!

Is there a huge improvement going from the non hurst shifter to GM hurst? How much do used hurst sell for?

Thanks,
DW
Old 01-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes, there is a huge difference between the base shifter and the optional Hurst. Fans of aftermarket shifters will bag on the Hurst, but that's because they haven't compared it to the base shifter, which is truly horrible.

Check the parts classifieds. You can find the factory Hurst from $50-100 by guys who have "upgraded" to aftermarket shifters.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The worst part about the stock shifters (IMO) is the rubber isolator in the handle. I recall that the stock Hurst has it also and will likewise leave one rowing a limp noodle.

People are also moving on from their aftermarket shifters to try other models, so I expect that better aftermarket shifters should also be out there used.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-27-2017, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The original owner of my car purchased a GM Hurst shifter package back in 1999 to replace the stock "noodle" shifter. It came in a GM box with a GM part # but was all Hurst - including the short stick (7-8" long). It shifts well and far better than the stock set ups. It's several inches shorter than stock.

Last edited by Firebrian; 01-28-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Firebrian
The owner of my car purchased a GM Hurst shifter package back in 1999 to replace the stock "noodle" shifter. It came in a GM box with a GM part # but was all Hurst - including the short stick (7-8" long). It shifts well and far better than the stock set ups. It's several inches shorter than stock.
I recall some dealers did this with the Hurst Billet Plus shifter (better than the stock model offered) because the factory-installed shifter came out late that year.

^ This is what I had to do with my '99. I'm glad it went this way, too. The stock Hurst came with the wet noodle stick, also.

Although.... fast forward 18 years later and my Hurst Billet Plus has shot springs. For the price of a rebuild, I can get a new shifter. I'm very interested in the Hinson with their bellevue washers, which should solve this problem long enough for me to be dead and burried in the car.

Last edited by wssix99; 01-27-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

I've also been looking at the Hinson and mgw shifters. Just really don't want to put that much money into a shifter lol but if it's night and day difference compared to the Hurst billet it might be worth it.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by DwDrummer
I've also been looking at the Hinson and mgw shifters. Just really don't want to put that much money into a shifter lol but if it's night and day difference compared to the Hurst billet it might be worth it.
They should be pretty close to the Hurst Billet Plus. They will be wayyyy beyond the stock Hurst. (You'll just want to make sure you do the homework on what you have/are getting.) There should be a thread around here with pictures comparing the two and showing the differences.

Quick Reply: LS1 Stock Hurst shifter