Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

notchy chunky shifts????

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default notchy chunky shifts????

i got in my car this morning and started it up and when i put it in reverse it felt normal but when i went to put it in first it felt notchy as i was shifting up. went to second and the same thing happened notchy . it does the same through all 6 gears when im in motion. i have a hurst and it just feels a little notchier than normal! when im sitting still rowing through the gers it isnt notchy or chunky. could it have anything to do with a bad shifter solenoid????
Old 05-25-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hydrolics.. Your Pressure Plate is not Disengageing properly and it feels notchy because your using too much of the trans syncro's to get you into gear... If you have not done the drill mod, do that. Next wrap the steel braded line with header wrap to keep heat away. Use Wilwood 570deg brake fluid for fluid, keep the heat more at bay... Next change your trans fluid with new stuff. Follow these steps and you should have a smooth shifting trans from now on..

Clint
Old 05-25-2005, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive searched but havent seen an easy to understand drill mod instruction..does anyone know where i could find an easy to understand one?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Launching!

i think i might have something similar. I'm very new to driving a stick so i might just suck, but every now and then 2nd gear seems not to want to go in. If i put it back in neutral and try again it goes in. any ideas, or do i just suck?

PS. InstallUniversity.com has a good write up.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

We dont have shifter solenoids so thats not the problem. Check your trans fluid and the master cylinder. Was it cold this morning in D'ville? Mine feels that way sometimes when its cold.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine feels chunky and doesn't want to go into gear almost all the time. It will sometimes fool me that its all the way into gear but its only half way!! I think HUGGERORANGESS is right. I am going to change my clutch and trans fluid and rap the lines. If this isn't enough I am going to replace my slave cylinder with an 02' model. If I still have the problem I am going to drop the trans and see what the syncros look like.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Guy2626c
i think i might have something similar. I'm very new to driving a stick so i might just suck, but every now and then 2nd gear seems not to want to go in. If i put it back in neutral and try again it goes in. any ideas, or do i just suck?

PS. InstallUniversity.com has a good write up.
Urs is most likely the CAGS
Old 05-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 8-Pack
We dont have shifter solenoids so thats not the problem. Check your trans fluid and the master cylinder. Was it cold this morning in D'ville? Mine feels that way sometimes when its cold.
thats funny cause when i had my car inspected at a top notch dealership they told me i had a leaky shifter solenoid
Old 05-26-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats funny cause when i had my car inspected at a top notch dealership they told me i had a leaky shifter solenoid
There's your first problem
Old 05-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Launching!

CAGS would make sense... cause it's only under light throttle that it does that... I guess i'm gonna get the disabiling mod.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZEEMAN
How would a solenoid leak? A soleoid is a switch activated by electricty. The gasket where the shifter comes out of the transmisson can leak, thats the only part that has anything to do with a shifter that can leak,as far as I know.

Last edited by 8-Pack; 05-27-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Urs is most likely the CAGS

Forgot about that stupid thing.... Ya check that first..

Clint

Quick Reply: notchy chunky shifts????