Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing won't come out

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pilot bearing won't come out

just what it says. I've been beating on it with a slide hammer and just pinched the **** out of my hand so I figured it was time to take a break and ask for help. The damn thing won't budge.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a slide hammer and some liquid wrench.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

I used a slide hammer with the pilot bearing removing tool. I had to grind down the claws that hold the pilot bearing, but once I used the tool/slide hammer, it literally took like 3 whacks for it to come out.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

The first one I did came right out after a little bit of heat and a few hard hits. This one won't come out for anything. Also what store sells a high quality bearing?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

Might be too late at this point as the bearing is mangled but there are two alternative methods that haven't been mentioned.
1) Fill (I mean FILL) the hole with light grease Get a old input shaft, extension or other rod that fits tightly. put the rod in a little bit to compress the grease and then wallop it with a hammer. The grease should force out the bearing.

2)Get a torch and heat the bearing (try to avoid heating the flywheel) up until it is red hot. As it is cooling use the slide hammer to pull it. The idea here is that the bearing will cool faster than the flywheel, shrink a little relatively and allow you to extract it.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redmist
Might be too late at this point as the bearing is mangled but there are two alternative methods that haven't been mentioned.
1) Fill (I mean FILL) the hole with light grease Get a old input shaft, extension or other rod that fits tightly. put the rod in a little bit to compress the grease and then wallop it with a hammer. The grease should force out the bearing.

2)Get a torch and heat the bearing (try to avoid heating the flywheel) up until it is red hot. As it is cooling use the slide hammer to pull it. The idea here is that the bearing will cool faster than the flywheel, shrink a little relatively and allow you to extract it.
Whatever you do DO NOT try #1 (filling the hole with grease). As this usually does work well, you cannot do this with an LS1 b/c there is a freeze plug on the end of the crank! Here are some threads that helped me out. There is a new tool that autozone carries called a blind hole puller this works much better than a slidehammer!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/330495-pilot-bearing-removal.html

Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redmist

Both of the ideas aren't good. The grease one as Vertigo mentioned. And they heat because getting the crank that hot will cause the rear main seal to melt. Some heat can be safely applied to the bearing, but not red hot. If you do this method, constantly check to make sure the rear of the crank around the seal isnt getting to hot.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I finally got it out. Barrowed a bigger slide hammer from another tech at work and went to autozone to barrow the attachment. I tried to get the MAC tool off the truck today, but he can't get it to me until monday.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
I finally got it out. Barrowed a bigger slide hammer from another tech at work and went to autozone to barrow the attachment. I tried to get the MAC tool off the truck today, but he can't get it to me until monday.
Good to hear! Its a big relief getting that SOB out Just be careful when you go to put the new one in. What I usually do is put the new pilot bearing in the freezer over night and put a VERY VERY small amount of grease on the edge of the crank just so it gets started nicely. Then I use a block of wood to pound it in evenly. Go easy until you know that it is going in properly!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:21 AM
PR Director

Does autozone rent out the slidding hammer and pilot bearing attachment together?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

They have both of those tools, but you need to tell them you want both. When I went all I got was the attachment.

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing won't come out