Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Clutch Lasts less than 48 hours

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Clutch Lasts less than 48 hours

Had problems with Z06 clutch sticking to the floor and not being able to handle nitrous power, so got a new Textraila installed. Last night at the track, after putting 200+ miles of stop/go driving on, clutch went out on 3rd mild launch (3000rpm). Coming out of first no clutch, zero. Peddle went to floor and stayed, I could pull it up but nothing was there as it would go back to floor. Had to drive off track stuck in first (best et so far 18 or 19 sec) and on return road pulled off and shut car down in gear. Looking at m/s I noticed the fluid level was down, so went and borrowed some. This time have cap off a little longer it looked like the rest was going somewhere. I poured more in and watched it dissapear. looked underneath and fluid was pouring out of bell housing big time. It seems after talking to Ellis (NW section) and others that either the shop that installed clutch may not have got hose back on slave correctly or the hose itself burst. Now I am not saying that Textraila is a bad clutch at this point. It did have some chatter on take early but was going away by 200miles. There was a slight vibration at around 3000 rpm when getting on it normal, could feel it in steer wheel clutch pedal and shifter. I think it maybe installer (shop) error? Anybody ever have a similar problem or any insight at all. Help! Was not fun putting my vette on a flat bed tow truck.
Robert

Edit: Textraila had givin the ok for a couple hundred stop and go miles, then I could take it to track and do some mild launches.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a bad slave to me I would guess the clutch will probably be ok once you get the hydraulics worked out. Good luck with it.

Last edited by plumbr; 07-30-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, its not the clutch, the slave took a dump on you, thats the only reason brake fluid would be coming out of the bell housing. It is possible the bleeder valve worked itself loose.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

It was a brand new Z06 slave supplied by Textraila. Now what about fluid getting all over clutch disc, is it junk now? Are these slaves known for bursting/failing and then a complete leak down? Thanks
Robert
Old 07-30-2005, 05:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robert56
It was a brand new Z06 slave supplied by Textraila. Now what about fluid getting all over clutch disc, is it junk now? Are these slaves known for bursting/failing and then a complete leak down? Thanks
Robert

Robert....Pete is waiting for your call. but let me tell you this...if your installer didnt remove both lines from your old zo6 slave ,and then put both of them on the new slave provided like the instruction said...then you prolly loosened and or bent the fbody bleeder stem by it rubbing on the frame rail....the slave provided is an f body slave which is exactly the same as a zo6 slave except for the two lines...your installer should have removed your old zo6 lines and put them on the new slave...a less then 5 min job! If any of your parts are oil soaked we will replace them free of charge to you..even if its not our fault
Wash
Old 07-30-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Textralia
Robert....Pete is waiting for your call. but let me tell you this...if your installer didnt remove both lines from your old zo6 slave ,and then put both of them on the new slave provided like the instruction said...then you prolly loosened and or bent the fbody bleeder stem by it rubbing on the frame rail....the slave provided is an f body slave which is exactly the same as a zo6 slave except for the two lines...your installer should have removed your old zo6 lines and put them on the new slave...a less then 5 min job! If any of your parts are oil soaked we will replace them free of charge to you..even if its not our fault
Wash
I took the the white "Attention" install paper and showed the install mech, see here it says to remove and install vette hoses on slave. This is exactly why this is the first time in my life that someone else has done mech work for me.
Isn't the newer f-body slaves the same build now as the Z06?
It was feeling much better than a stock clutch earler on, I do know. Felt like it was gripping very good and I could see some real ET time gains coming.
Robert
Old 07-30-2005, 06:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robert56
I took the the white "Attention" install paper and showed the install mech, see here it says to remove and install vette hoses on slave. This is exactly why this is the first time in my life that someone else has done mech work for me.
Isn't the newer f-body slaves the same build now as the Z06?
It was feeling much better than a stock clutch earler on, I do know. Felt like it was gripping very good and I could see some real ET time gains coming.
Robert
Yes, the slave body is the same ,but the bleeder hardline is too long for a vette,and of course the flex line is different
Jeff
Old 07-30-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talked to Phil in Aussie land and got my worries relieved (Jeff also from Textraila on this site). These people stand behind their product no matter what. It does sound like to everyone involved that a install error has occured. Seems if you don't swap out the hoses on the vette stock slave to the supplied f-body slave you will have a interference problem. This leads to rubbing/breaking of bleeder by hitting frame/bell housing and soon complete failure.
I don't want anyone thinking I am talking bad about Textraila, as I think they are top notch company with a product that is fast becoming the clutch of choice. Now the installer I chose, I will wait on judgement there as it's not 100% that's it their fault, yet.
Robert
Old 07-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just about to ask you if you swapped out both lines. A local guy installed the Tex Clutch and he just purchased a Z06 slave for the C5 and it came with everything and then he gave the F-body slave that came with the Tex clutch to a local F-body guy.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:00 AM
TECH Resident

.... If any of your parts are oil soaked we will replace them free of charge to you..even if its not our fault
Wash

This kind of customer service just sealed the deal on what clutch I am getting for my stroker.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mr2guru
This kind of customer service just sealed the deal on what clutch I am getting for my stroker.
Jeff here in the US had contacted me by E-Mail many, many times on this issue, and also before when buying clutch, he goes out of his way in the customer service area. One more thing, I got a call from Phil all the way from Australia, to make sure I was at ease and help figure this thing out. Man, I am sold on this product and their service. They haven't had any clutch failures since release (actual clutch/press plate/flywheel). Phil also stated that fluid on disc would not hurt anything and it would be fine.
Robert
Old 08-01-2005, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

WOW great customer service I know what clutch I am going with when mine goes out again.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Problem was install error. seems installer didn't change the lines on the slave. Textralia sends a new f-body slave (same internals as Z06), but you have to change flex line and hard line from Z06 to f-bod slave. The reason being is that the f-body bleeder is longer and will hit vette frame, crack and break off, resulting in complete clutch failure. Shop did not do this even after I showed the mech the special "Attenion" sheet telling to do this. They are going to fix it no questions ask, so far. Things happen! Not a Textralia issue at all.
Robert
Old 10-11-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Z28
WOW great customer service I know what clutch I am going with when mine goes out again.
Agreed. Reading thread after thread of Textralia support/service/customer satisfaction. Textralia is worth it.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Up-date, clutch is great. I have been hitting it hard with the nitrous and dosen't faze it a bit (5200/5500). Normal driving I can take off with a idle, no need to bring rpms up.
Robert
Old 10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Does it still vibrate around 3k rpm? The installer may not have lined up the punch marks on the pp and fw. If not lined up properly, the balance will be off.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine is as smooth as a baby's behind.
Robert
Old 10-11-2005, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

another reason i know i made the right choice.
a+ company and product.

I made a thread that I broke my rear w/this clutch!!
I am not allowed to go to the track (wife) this year casue i am not llowed to break another rear

damn grippy clutch.

Gotta love how I can pull a cammed car from idle with no chatter
Old 10-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Robert....Pete is waiting for your call. If any of your parts are oil soaked we will replace them free of charge to you..even if its not our fault
Wash
Damn, now thats customer service...I think they just sold me a clutch!

Dave
Old 10-12-2005, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Textralia the customer service is what sold me and now i love the clutch great company

Quick Reply: New Clutch Lasts less than 48 hours