Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

major problem! clutch install went wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 12:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default major problem! clutch install went wrong.

ok so i put in a mcleod single disc, 01 slave, and ram adjustable master. i am trying to bleed it and no matter what bubbles keep coming up thru the mityvac. i follwed the write ups on here word for word. buuuuut the clutch pedal is very strong and feels great. no sticking or anything. so i figure screw it. i turn the car on while its still in the air and go to put it in gear--very hard to get in but i do so with some effort. clutch is still to the floor and wheels start turning so i take it out of gear. try to put it in reverse and i have to slam it in. sooooooo im thinking that maybe i need to shim the to bearing??? what do u think? bad hydraulics out of the box perhaps?? please need help because im not in the mood to pull it apart again and want to know what im looking at b4 i do so.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
ok so i put in a mcleod single disc, 01 slave, and ram adjustable master. i am trying to bleed it and no matter what bubbles keep coming up thru the mityvac. i follwed the write ups on here word for word. buuuuut the clutch pedal is very strong and feels great. no sticking or anything. so i figure screw it. i turn the car on while its still in the air and go to put it in gear--very hard to get in but i do so with some effort. clutch is still to the floor and wheels start turning so i take it out of gear. try to put it in reverse and i have to slam it in. sooooooo im thinking that maybe i need to shim the to bearing??? what do u think? bad hydraulics out of the box perhaps?? please need help because im not in the mood to pull it apart again and want to know what im looking at b4 i do so.
I'm a firm believer that if you turn the stock flywheel you need to add a shim. But I also thought that the adjustable master can be adjusted to compensate as well. Here is a pic the shim I installed on my clutch. I bench bled my MC and that's it I never bled it again once it was back in the car. This was with stock 01 MC with the drill mod.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:31 AM
9 Second Club

i did the drill mod as well but i didnt turn the stock flywheel i put an aluminum mcleod one in. which seemed to be a thicker unit. ttt come on guys lets hear ur opinions.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Try to bleed it with the bleeder valve on the slave and see if you have any air in the system first. You shouldn't because you said the clutch feels good. After that I would try to lengthen the rod on the master a good bit and see if it will go in gear any easier.

I've seen bubbles continue to come up using the mityvac. Seems that sometimes it will suck in air around one of the lines because too much vaccum. I put another zip tie around the reservoir line where it connects to the master and it solved that problem.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:53 PM
9 Second Club

i just tried to make the rod longer and by accident i pulled up on the pedal and it made some clicking noises like it was skipping on a gear and the whoe pedal moved towards the driver. so now my clutch pedal is like an inch higher and in turn making any adjustment to the rod a cancel out. how do i get this pedal back down where it needs to be now??
Old 08-01-2005, 01:07 PM
9 Second Club

i talked to mcleod 2day and they said in no way should the single disc need shims. he said i may have bent the disc but id have to imagine this is pretty difficult to do. no looks like no one can diagnose this for me so its going to have to come completely apart again. anyone who could have any idea PLEASE chime in.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

How did it act when you lengthened the rod. Still hard to get in gear?

The gear stripping sound you heard was the clutch switch jumping teeth in its housing. You can adjust it for pedal height.

As for the disc being bent. Did you get the tranny straight in or did it flop around a bit during the install. I have had a hard time getting a tranny to line up and it flopped around quite a bit and still didn't have any problems. I find the bent disc thing kind of hard to buy. I wish I could tell you something concrete but without looking at it I'm at a loss. Sorry man and good luck, I know it can be frustrating.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:25 PM
9 Second Club

my dads not buying the bent disc either. and hes been a mechanic for 30+ yrs. im having a guy from the local hot rod shop come by the house--he thinks he can bleed it. i dont. i moved the car last night to get it on a tow truck and there was a big puddle of dot under it and smoke was coming from under the car. i had to put it in gear then turn it on and the car was rolling b4 it finshed cranking. i think my new slave is bad. at this point im so tired of looking at it i might pay someone to redo all the work i just did.

oh and no it didnt do anything when i legthned the rod.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say don't give up, but I guess you already did. I was in the same boat as you. I couldnt bleed the clutch at all, nothing worked. So I tried my own method of pumping fluid up through the quick diconnect fitting. Anyways, I think you need to shim the slave. It's obvious it's not disengaging completely.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

Shim The Slave!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:58 AM
9 Second Club

when u guys say shim the slave dont u mean the to bearing? can u just put a shim behind the slave instead of pulling it apart? and where do u get them? and why would have have to on my car when this kit goes into every other car without shimming.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
when u guys say shim the slave dont u mean the to bearing? can u just put a shim behind the slave instead of pulling it apart? and where do u get them? and why would have have to on my car when this kit goes into every other car without shimming.
Shim the pilot bearing, not the slave itself. I don't know where to get them, I have never needed one. Not all cars are made the same. Transmissions, clutches, clutch pedals, slaves, master cylinder, hydraulic lines, differ from car to car.