Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

UMI Short Stick

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI Short Stick

Ok just ordered a UMI short stick because the stock Hurst is entirely tooooooo long. I mean I dont believe in banging and abusing a shifter, but its pretty absurd that I miss second gear because the shifter slipped out of my hand (I dont man handle the shifter, I try to shift as fast as possible with the least amount of force as necessary) because the throw was so far back that I hit my elbow on the center console...

So is there anything else one can do to firm up the hurst? On my last car, one popular mod was to replace the rubber bushings in the shifter with urethane, or booger bushings (cause they were green)..... is that possible on the Hurst?

Can't wait to have a true short throw... I miss that from my last car!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I take it that there are not other ways to modify the Hurst other than puttin on a shorter stick?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:37 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Throw on the UMI stick and get yourself a Pro 5.0 shifter as well. Don't be afraid to abuse it - that's what it's for.

Next time you order from UMI, ask Ryan if I've ever absued a transmission when I shift
Old 08-11-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I went from a ripper to a stock hurst and UMI stick. I love it.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Throw on the UMI stick and get yourself a Pro 5.0 shifter as well. Don't be afraid to abuse it - that's what it's for.

Next time you order from UMI, ask Ryan if I've ever absued a transmission when I shift
I agree. I have the pro 5.0 with the umi short stick and I love the way it feel's. I say get a pro 5.0 shifter and I think you will like it to.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from the stock (non Hurst) to the Hurst UMI combo, I like it better then the Pro 5.0, best thing to do is try and find some other f body drivers who might be willing to let you try their shifter (be it 5.0, or Ripper or whatever else is out there)
Shifter feel is a personal preference, I didn't like the 5.0 or the ripper, the hurst UMI SS combo is perfect (for me)
Old 08-11-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
I went from the stock (non Hurst) to the Hurst UMI combo, I like it better then the Pro 5.0, best thing to do is try and find some other f body drivers who might be willing to let you try their shifter (be it 5.0, or Ripper or whatever else is out there)
Shifter feel is a personal preference, I didn't like the 5.0 or the ripper, the hurst UMI SS combo is perfect (for me)

I'll have to try that. Thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just love having the assurance that i wont go from 2nd to first at 6k, all i have to do is slam that ball up and im in third i love the pro50
Old 08-12-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cjels1
i just love having the assurance that i wont go from 2nd to first at 6k, all i have to do is slam that ball up and im in third i love the pro50
It'll be nice once I install mine... did it today *at 6k in 1st* and overreved to about 6,250... I don't think I hurt anything but I was nervous as hell once I got to work this morning.. it's sitting on a desk waiting for the clutch/flywheel/master/slave to get here...
Old 08-17-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow... I installed it today. I didnt realize thestock hurst was suspended in rubber..... the shifter feels much more firm, and the throw is nice. Now i have to used tothe angle.