Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help! Clutch blew up

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Clutch blew up

I've had my SS since new in '00 and it's got about 60K. Never had any kind of major problem until today. It's poping out of gear and making a nasty grinding/ rattling noise from the flywheel area when you try to move it at all. What'da think it is? Clutch toast? Throwout bearing maybe? I had it towed to a dealer. It never slipped under normal driving, but if they have to open it up, I'm thinking of getting a new ZO6 clutch put in while they're there. Any other thoughts/suggstions? Thanks!
Later
Old 08-19-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

popping out of gear is transmission problems.....syncros damaged and/or shift fork bent

Z06 clutch is a good basic upgrade, though I would personally upgrade to a Spec clutch as it will take much more abuse/hp/heat.......I like my Spec 3 though I have reach the RPM limit of it......

note: by the way, your clutch did not BLOW UP......go do a search for pictures of clutches that have actually BLOWN UP on here......BIG DIFFERENCE.......at most something in yours is loose

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 08-19-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the reply!
I don't think it's the tranny, but my description of the problem wasn't really accurate as to the popping. I really think it's something to do with the clutch. It's always slipped under fast power shifting since day one - but I've only done that a handful of times . When it went, I was accelerating fairly hard in 2nd and before I knew it, I hit the rev limiter- like the clutch just let go. For a split second I thought my rear was airborne over a pothole or something and it would come back down and grab again, but no dice. I coasted to a stop and shut'er down. When I fired it back up, I could hear a grinding noise in concert with the engine RPMs when I was just sitting there stopped with the clutch pedal pushed in.
When I tried to take off in 1st at idle rpm, it would grab for a second and then immediately let go and make the noise again. The shifter never actually popped out of gear though. Sorry for my misleading first post. In retrospect it reeks solely of tranny malfunction.
Later

Last edited by hammerhead; 08-19-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like you might of broke the plate aorund the springs on the clutch disk. I have done it a couple of times. You already took it to the dealer or I would tell you to try and let the clutch out at an idle on leavel ground or slightly going down hill. If it would start to move and you let the clutch out all of the way and it holds, but as soon as you give it any gas it slips and starts to grind thats what it is.

Just so you know I did the same thing to 2 z06 clutchs also so I would look into an aftermarket clutch. I have a cartech but I dont hear anything about them anymore, and I got mine about 3 yrs ago and its still holding. Only about 1k street miles a yr but there hard miles.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the slave upgraded to a 01-02 aswell
Old 08-20-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get the ZO6 Kit, slave and '01 master if I were you. If you're gonna pay all that money in labor you might as well put good parts in there. Sounds like about normal wear and tear for a factory clutch at 60k with some aggressive driving.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

For the clutch upgrade I would go with the aussie clutch......anything but a spec, ive learend my lesson.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not your Trasmission!!

I just had this exact same problem

Check out this Thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/369364-thanks-mti-guys.html

and this one on LS1.com M6 Griding issues

Here is what the Problem was --

It happend to be my slave cylinder, and pilot bearing. They both went to **** and the pilot bearing basicly shredded. Apparently the problem is with the Slave Cylinder in all 2000 and earlier models, and this happens to most after 50,000 miles. Anyhow I took it to MTI and those guys fixed it in about 4 hours. They installed a new clutch, new slave cylinder, and pilot bearing and it cost $863 ($350 of that was removing and installing the Tranny.) i just drove it home and it feels extremely better. I got lucky with the cluch though. My old one looked like it had been chewed on by a dog. They happend to just have a LS2 GTO clutch that they had just removed laying around that they gave to me for $200. Those guys over there are awesome. Kudos to MTI for getting me fixed in a matter of 4 hours.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Launching!

N20 Junkie- you hit the nail on the head. It's a broken disc. The dealer quoted me $1200 for a new ZO6 kit, flywheel, updated slave, and new pilot bearing installed. I'm thinking of sticking with GM parts since I got over 60K with the stock one and I don't have any major mods planned anytime soon. Also, they said they'd put in aftermarket parts if I bought them, but I don't think they would be as willing to back the the install if there's a problem and they already have it apart. The ZO6 clutch PN they gave me is: 12581650. They said there's another one- PN 12581650, but it's for the ZO6 only. Anyone know if #12581650 sounds right?
Thanks again
Old 08-23-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was it the whole disk or just the ring? Mine was just the ring. I am not sure on the pt# but I have 2 sitting around here that look perfect along with the pp and flywheel. lol. glad to help if I did.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Launching!

I did a drive by at lunch and saw it up on the lift but I haven't taken a close look at the disc. I did a search for part #'s and both come up on here for ZO6 clutch kits? If anyone has any insight let me know, cuz they ordered the 12581650 today.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't have any LS1 performance shops around?For $1200 from me you would be getting alot better clutch than a Z06 installed
Old 08-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Alright- was I dumb enough to type 12581650 3 times in my earlier post, or is there a conspiracy going on? The other PN is 12570806. After some exhaustive research, I figured out that the 806 is the actual ZO6 clutch kit PN. Hopefully it'll work with the updated Fbody slave? 'cause this is what I'm having them install when it gets here.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The main issue is the F-body Slave! Cars from the years 98-00 apparently the slave isnt all that great. When I took mine into MTI they called back saying "Your slave is GONE!" Like I said though I got the hook up They gave me a new complete clutch flywheel, disc and pressure plate for $200 that was off a new GTO.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Launching!

I was checking it out today and I was surprised to see that there's still a LOT of meat left on the pads of the original disc. Just the center let go. The springs still look good too. Oh well. Soon I'll have the updated slave in it and a Z06 disc! Hopefully it'll be a little more durable, but I can't bitch too much after getting over 60K out of the stocker. Shortly after getting it back, I'm going to tuck it away for winter hibernation early if I can pry my hands off the steering wheel long enough.

Last edited by hammerhead; 08-26-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Update:
I got my car back with a ZO6 disc and the updated slave installed & it works great! It does seem to engage a little higher in the pedal- confirming what I read from other people's posts on here. However, it's not all the way at the top as I feared it might be. It only took a few minutes to get used to it, and I like it. The rest of the pedal travel feels the same or maybe even slightly lighter than before - probably in part due to the new fluid & slave. It grabs real good. Zero chatter as you would expect from an OEM repacement. Overall 2 thumbs way up!
Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited by hammerhead; 08-29-2005 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Help! Clutch blew up