Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My experience with SPEC customer service

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Default My experience with SPEC customer service

I have dealt with Daniel with SPec on my clutch issue. I put a new clutch in back in June and at first it had issues with the peddle sticking to the floor on hard shifts. I called spec and they asked me to raise the peddle higher and give that a try. I did and it did not stick as bad but when I went to the track, the clutch slipped hard. I adjusted it back down some and though it grabbed better , it was already hot and continued to slip. Spec said it sounded like the flywheel may have high spots where it was turned unneven and acting like the car has to much hp for the stg 3 clutch . Allan Futral told me to drive it around a little while and see if it will get rid of the glase from slipping and try it again before I pull it out. I did that and it held great on the street but the first trip to NO Problem raceway , it slipped its *** off.

I called spec and Daniel told me to pull it and send it in along with the flywheel so he could inspect it. I told him I was going to buy a billet steel flywheel this time around so he made me a great offer through him for one.
Sure enough when I pulled the clutch , the flywheel had spots that were not touched and allowing it to slip.

SPEC looked at my clutch and told me that the pressure plate was toast and he was going to go ahead and just give me a new one and a new disk.
I was told a price of 189 for a billet steel Flywheel but he turned out not to have one in stock so he is hooking me up with a billet Aluminum one for the same price. Granted it is a used Aluminum one but with new disk and ring gear on out side so it is as good as new.

On top of all that , it is ballanced with teh clutch for $189.00 SO all of you looking to buy from spec but are skared off from all the bad rap they get on the board, think again and if you have problems with your set up and they recommend to try some thing, just take there word for it and try what they ask before demanding New **** and they are a lot more prone to help you out. I have had nothing but good expereince with SPec.
Cant wait to try the new FLywheel to see what its about. Word is that a ALuminum FLywheel will make it bog but It is worth a try at the price I got it for, I run mostly on drag radials with great 60 ft results and I think with the Aluminum Flywheel that will not change.

I will post the results when I get it back together.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good..im glad you had a good experience...to be honest i am alil worried about everything i have heard, but im in need of a clutch really bad, and i cant shell out 1k for one...so the spec III is looking like something ill look into...i want to get a new master as well...does spec sell those? i want a complete package deal...

anyhow, good luck with your new one

Jon
Old 08-21-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've he lots of bad stuff about spec...but the only thing that scares me is if i do have a problem..the car is my daily driver...and if I keep having clutch issues..i can't have the car down for periods of time while the clutch is being shipped back and stuff.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
I've he lots of bad stuff about spec...but the only thing that scares me is if i do have a problem..the car is my daily driver...and if I keep having clutch issues..i can't have the car down for periods of time while the clutch is being shipped back and stuff.

exactly my worries..

Jon
Old 08-21-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

That would be nice to just have tehm swap it but I can not see a company lasting like that. If it were my buisness, I would have to see that it was my fault as well and in my case it is not really SPecs fault but they are still doing a lot for me.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

well..my point being is that if I buy a product..i expect it to work....if it wasn't a daily driver...it would be a different story, but i couldn't afford to have my car down for weeks on end while spec is figuring out whose fault it is. good customer service is good customer service, but with something like this..it shouldn't be needed...the product should jsut work. also..the fact that i wouldn't be doing the work myself...so i'd have to keep on paying someone to install and take off a clutch.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:14 AM
TECH Junkie

My flywheel was turned by a Napa auto parts machine shop and had high spots. That is not even SPecs fault. That was the problem not the pressure plate, they still covered it and gave me a great deal on a flywheel to replace the one that was fucked up.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

the Spec bashing on here isnt fair. I and many others never had a problem with them. Proper installation is the key. From what ive seen they hook up anyone unhappy. I cant see it.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

well,i never had a spec clutch that would hold on the strip.in fact no clutch i tried could.i was forced to go with a 400 to get the job done.and they were all installed correctly.as far as the break in theory,if you have a car you run primarily on the strip,the 5oo mile break in is a joke.seems to me if you paid a little extra they could break in the flywheel and clutch as one unit,then when you got it there would be no excuses about break in .but that would be to easy for them and they would have noone but themselves to blame,right?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Well the new clutch is in and aluminum Flywheel and working great. I thought the paper said 400 feet,OOOPS my bad

THis thing does rev faster but I paid more attention to the shifting smooth. SO far it shifts like butter and I can tell you, I dont bog with the aluminum flywheel

I will post more after I do get some more miles on it. I did run it hard after a 2 mile test drive just to make sure of no obvious issues and all was good. now I will take my time with it.

Quick Reply: My experience with SPEC customer service