Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Centerforce Clutch for an LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Centerforce Clutch for an LS1?

I just haven't heard much about them....anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,

-Will
Old 09-29-2005, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

This is what I was afraid of lol...

-Will
Old 09-29-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lots of people have had them. Then they got a real clutch couple of months later. STAY AWAY!!!!
Old 09-29-2005, 02:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

That's not really fair, there is always someone out there with trouble with one clutch or another. Frankly, the Centerforce is the only one I sell that I haven't heard back from at least one person bitching.

What's the issue? We tore through 3 MeLeod's in a very mild '99 car, and when we replaced it with a Dual Friction no more troubles. I've sold them them a few folks with both LT1 and LS1's and again no troubles, and one of the LT1 guys broke his McLeod disc and an SLP disc too...

There is a rampant problem with folks using the wrong clutch for the job I've noticed. And it's scary how many folks don't even realize that Centerforce also makes a larger 12" clutch for the LS1 cars to hold more power. Also I've had a number of cars come in with clutches that needed bled. When you have a car that is hard to bleed the clutch on, it gets messed up a lot. On a couple different occassions we've had folks in here convinced they needed a new clutch and the clutch either just needed bled and/or have some fresh high-temp fluid installed (remember the fluid is very near the exhaust, and cheap fluid can't take much heat especially when it's old.

I've always been happy with the product and the support from Centerforce, and that's important to me as I'm the first one to get yelled at if something goes wrong. The cost is a nice plus too......

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-29-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard more complaints about the centerforce than any other clutch out for the LS-1. Mine lasted about 3 months.
Yes, I know how to drive a stick.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's the wieghts that seem to put to much of a strain when your trying to shift at high rpms.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

3rd post in a row, wow.

Anyway, Sam if your having good luck with them then that's awesome. Maybe they did something to redesign or something. Mine was 3 years ago. Alot can change. If they're good now then great. But, you're the 1st person that I've seen speak pos about them.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys, I just may give one a shot...

-Will
Old 09-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Launching!

well, centerforce i had will not hold 400rwhp 389rwtq. pedal heavy as ****(heavier than mcloud twin disc)
and the duel friction, only one side hold up and the other side( to flywheel) just plan burn and gone!!! you get what you pay for
Old 09-29-2005, 04:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

400 rwhp is not exactly a stock power level, and that kind of power should have been using the 12" version, not the 11" setup...... The heavy pedal is due to the weights which can give you a heavier pedal especially at higher RPM's.

Sorry to hear you had trouble with it, but again we've all had reports of trouble from EVERY clutch. Some like Spec, some hate them. Some like MeLeod, some hate them. Some like the Z06 clutch some hate it. Some like RAM, some don't.

I can only tell you our experiences. Now I'll be the first to admit we aren't big drag racers around here. Our cars have more power but aren't insane or launching on drag slicks, which make like really hard on clutches. But we do put 350-ish to the wheels, and we do launch on concrete with our road racing compound tires. At times @ 4k rpm.... YMMV.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Hi guys,

I know coming on here that I will probably take some heat but please keep in mind I come to help. What we currently offer for the LS1 is our Ball Bearing presure plate. This new design allows us to speed up the release ratio and increase clamp load. Isp408 sorry to hear you had some problems, the Dual Friction should have been able to hold that power. Did you call our tech line with your problems? If you still have the clutch I would like to see it to see if it was a older design or if we have a problem? I would also invite anyone who has had problems to please call us, we can't fix it if we don't know its broke.
I am here to help if I can, please feel free to comment good or bad.

Thank you for your time,

Will Baty
Centerforce Clutches
Old 09-29-2005, 05:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well, there you go..... Haven't seen any other clutch folks in here watching what's going on/asking questions. That means an awful lot to me being that I am one who's always around answering question (though usually in the handling department) vs. showing up only when I have some sale to push on everyone.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the support Sam it is greatly appreciated.

Will Baty
Centerforce Clutches
Old 09-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Have a dual friction in my GTA, I know it's not the same torque/power as the LS1 but it's held up to years of abuse (and abuse is about all that car has gotten in the last 2 years, lol)
Old 09-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Having a CF Dual Friction installed on my 01SS on Thursday at Coastal in Tampa. Where can I find a new replacement slave cyl...?

I went out to http://www.gmpartsdirect.com but could only find one for a six cyl.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Launching!

hey will baty, i still got centerforce clutch, i can sent you pic if you like.
if you want you can pm me your email address.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

01ls1, I would call around to find a dealership that has one in stock. The part number is "15046288" some dealerships will ask for your VIN #. If you are using your stock flywheel make sure you re-surface the flywheel then have it checked to make sure it is zero balanced. The factory clutch and flywheel are balanced together as an assembly. The factory flywheel by itself is only rough balanced, in some cases though we have seen the flywheel be with-in spec. So after the flywheel is re-surfaced have the balanced checked. We balance the pressure plate so you shouldn't need to have it balanced.

lsp408, my e-mail is willb@centerforce.com you can e-mail me any time.

Best Regards,
Will Baty
Centerforce Clutches
Old 09-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Hope you have better luck with your Centerforce than we did!!! The first one was dealer installed and grenaded at the track after 650 miles of breakin. The ceramic material came off and piled up on the bottom of the bellhousing. After much bitching to Centerforce, they reluctantly sent a replacement. The second was was installed by a race pro mechanic and was street driven for 1200 miles when the spring clip that brings the weights back to the center broke allowing the weights to move out from the center and caused a serious Harmonic vibration that was bad enough to do damage to the crank. After the second dissaster, we went with the Spec 2. Much better!!

The Dual Friction I had on my 95 LT1 worked flawless, so I don't know what happened to the two that were on the 99 SS.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the input guys... It is pretty much a done deal though as the shop already ordered the part and my clutch is junk...

I hope I have better luck than you did as well.

Any opinions on the drill mod??
Old 09-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Drill mod, haven't done it yet myself, but I most definately will be when I replace my clutch either later this fall or next spring. I'd do it, you're gonna be halfway there as it is and it's pretty much a no-cost mod.

Quick Reply: Centerforce Clutch for an LS1?