Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP PLEASE! Clutch Pedal Stuck To The Floor Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP PLEASE! Clutch Pedal Stuck To The Floor Today

I have been noticing for about 3 weeks now that the clutch pedal in my 02 Z28 has been slow to come up after the car has sat for awhile, the longer it sits, the worse it is. I was able to pump the pedal a couple of times, before starting and it would then feel fine. No problems while driving. Today I got in it after not driving for 2 days and the pedal stuck to the floor for a second and then slowly came up. I pumped it 3 times and it was fine. The clutch including throw out bearing was replaced under warranty 2000 miles (8 months) ago. Any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

try and bleed it or mighty vac it. or maby its time for it to get replaced
Old 12-24-2005, 01:01 AM
12 Second Club

change the master cylinder and the slave cylinder, that fixed mine when that happened.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Let me ask you does your 3rd gear grind occasionally? I know that happens to me sometimes, and some have told me it has to be my slave cylinder since my car is a pre-01. I had my master changed when my pedal stayed on the floor. and ever since then my pedal feels as if i have to push it almost all the way in to engage the clutch and at times 3rd gear grinds as if i never used the clutch to change gears. I need to fix that before it leads to something major.
-Joel
Old 12-24-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Let me ask you does your 3rd gear grind occasionally? I know that happens to me sometimes, and some have told me it has to be my slave cylinder since my car is a pre-01. I had my master changed when my pedal stayed on the floor. and ever since then my pedal feels as if i have to push it almost all the way in to engage the clutch and at times 3rd gear grinds as if i never used the clutch to change gears. I need to fix that before it leads to something major.
-Joel
Nope. Never had it grind in any gear.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

mine did the same thing, my clutch wound up getting fried because of that happening. What happened was since the slave wasnt coming all the way back, the clutch would still be part way engaged, which caused it to fry. and this happened in one night! Mcleod updated slave is like 129.00 and mcleod adjustable master is 330, but i hav one brand new for 300shipped, just in case you are replacing the master too
Old 12-24-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

it doesn't matter if GM replaced it under warranty. their work is warranted for 12,000 miles or 12 months. so if it was a GM dealership, just take it back.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Here's what I did Xmas day. Removed master (not to bad). Removed line from master to slave and did drill mod (real simple). Flushed with brake fluid and replaced line on to master. Bench bled, first by pushing in pedal rod while using screw driver to depress quick release valve at end of line. Then by taking Mitty Vac and pulling a vacuum through the reservoir (got all kinds of air out that way). Re-installed master (between the U bolt that holds the master on and the clip that holds the clutch rod to the pedal, I'd say it would be a tie, for being the biggest pain in the a$$ of the entire process). Also put some rubber fuel line around steel braided line to help protect the fluid from heat of the headers. Next I bled the system through the slave, by cracking bleeder with ratchet while son pushes on clutch pedal and fluid is pouring all over the place (gotta be an easier way). Had wife watching reservoir with explicate instructions not to let it drain out. Guess what? Yep, drained out. Had to put the Mity Vac back on the reservoir and pull tons of air out again (no big deal). Tried clutch pedal a few times (not running) felt real good. So I cleaned everything up and called it a night.

The verdict: So far so good, no more soft or sticking pedal after sitting over night. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that this will be a permanent fix.
Thanks for the help
Old 12-29-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same thing happened here last week. Turns out my master was bad.

And yeah that U bolt is a mother f#cker unless your a midget with small hands and forearms the size of pencils.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

thank you, thank you. That is where I come in

How do you think I can change spark plugs out so quickly?

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE! Clutch Pedal Stuck To The Floor Today