Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter just a' rattles

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter just a' rattles

Damn my shifter is becoming rather noisy its the pro 5 0 and under hard accelration it rattles like a bitch. im sure its just the stick with metal against metal cus my buddys did the same thing from when he went from the stock stick to the louzs short stick, cus that rubber bushing aint there any more. is there anything you can do to fix this? its not like its loose or any thing just metal on metal vibration.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

This took care of a lot of it for me.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/265250-dynamat-shifter-vibrations-install-pics.html
Old 12-24-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the stop screws
Old 12-26-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

You could use the dynamat method, or you could make a gasket for the base of the shifter. The noise comes from a combination of both the base of the shifter and the shifter stick to shifter contact. Use your old shifter as a template to make a gasket for the base of the shifter. You can find the paper gasket material from Pep Boys, it's pretty inexpensive. For the shifter stick to shifter vibration, just buy two bolts about 1/4" longer than your current bolts, and buy some nuts to go with them. Replace the existing bolts holding the shifter stick to the shifter with the longer bolts. Then, with the protruding threads on the passenger's side of the stick, use the nuts and tighten them down. Using both the gasket for the base, and the longer bolts/nuts for the stick will reduce the rattling noise by about 95%.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Krab,

Why will a 1/4" longer bolt eliminate vibration?
Old 12-27-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mark A. Rogalski
Krab,

Why will a 1/4" longer bolt eliminate vibration?
Once the bolts are tightened, the nuts can be tighted on the extra threads protruding on the passenger's side of the shifter stick. This will "sandwich" the part of the shifter that you bolt the stick to. Being tightened on both sides will allow a lot less movement of the metal to metal. Look at the pic in the 6th post of this thread so you can see what I'm talking about.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=shifter
I guess I can't explain it too well in words, but I know it works from experience with my car. Hope this info helps someones noisy Pro 5.0.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Also, in that link I say 1/2" longer bolt, but that would hit the inside of the console when in 6th gear and reverse, so just go with a 1/4" longer bolt.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the Hurst Billet and noticed that the sides that touche each other(shifter rod & shifter stick) are ribbed so they lock in place. It did come lose once so I used a little loctite. I also used a cork gasket along witht the Dynamat.