Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcleod Twin vs. TEXtralia

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mcleod Twin vs. TEXtralia

I'm having a dilemma. I am replacing my clutch. I want either the Mcleod Twin Disc or TEXtralia OZ700 with more than likely the 8lb flywheel.

I have driven a car with a Mcleod Twin. Kinda stiff at first but I got used to it really quick and liked it. Never got to launch with it though. Driveability was IMO great.

I've never driven a car with a TEXtralia but have heard most people that have it liked it and some even went from the Mcleod to TEXtralia. Clutch chatter first 500-1,000 miles and engages close to bottom. I don't know much about driveability. I drive this car to school sometimes and need something that won't drive me crazy when just cruising around. But at the same time, this car is going to be raced, launched, driven hard, and all that fun stuff.

Right now I'm leaning toward the TEXtralia. Experiences?? Inputs?? Any and every thing would be extremely appreciated.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

I've done a ton of research about them, especially TEXtralia because they are pretty much new here. Most problems I've seen with it is wrong torque specs causing the presure plate bolts to back out. But it seems like most comments are "I like it" but not really any specifics on driveability/launching on it versus the Mcleod. Like I said, I'm leaning toward TEXtralia and, if that is what I go with, will be ordering it from you.

Oh, and thanks for the quick response to my PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Research further into the SPEC made me decide against it. And if I end up having to wait for the clutch I want, then I'm perfectly fine with that. Mostly I want people's actual opinions/experiences (good or bad) and to make sure I didn't look over anything. I know there is always someone that has had a bad experience with everything and there will be bad opinions for both. But gotta choose one over the other. I'll most likely be ordering one in the next week or two. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have about 200 miles on my new motor/textralia clutch so far. And if its for something that will be driven on the street, this clutch is great. It feels like stock, and so far has gripped very well. I havent really gotten to test out how much power it will actually hold, but for my h/c 370 it has been great so far. There actually wasnt much chatter at all. The engagment on mine is about in the middle i guess, pretty much like stock. Overall, it feels and drives like the stock clutch. Other people can probably chime in with power handling ability, since i havent really been able to test it so far.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a tex in my 04 Z06 and love it. it is perfectly streetable and i have beet on it a few times at the track and a whole hell of alot on the street. put it to you this way, my 115lbs fiancee drives it with no problem and wants one in her goat when her stocker goes out. also, the ability to slip it at the track will save your rear end. go for the tex.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by algws6
i have a tex in my 04 Z06 and love it. it is perfectly streetable and i have beet on it a few times at the track and a whole hell of alot on the street. put it to you this way, my 115lbs fiancee drives it with no problem and wants one in her goat when her stocker goes out. also, the ability to slip it at the track will save your rear end. go for the tex.
If a girl thinks its streetable that makes me feel a little better about my purchase of the Textralia, I really really really hate chatter.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by YoungB@BYUNSPEED
LOL ... nice Mike.

Haha I'm serious honest, if a girl wants to drive it that is the true definition of streetable in my book.

Can you elaborate more on this race warranty for the textralia? I did not know about this, what is the warranty exactly if you don't mind.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

the aussie clutch is worth the wait if there is one. I have had mine for over a year now with about 50-55 thousand miles on it( i live 350 from work)the spec lasted me 3 months about 15 thousand miles. I have beaten the aussie mor than the spec. plus the aussie does not need a different master, reuse the stocker. and the pp bolt backing out are probley due to not using any thread locker. altho not suggested but recomended. I am putting a new one in, not that it realy needs it but I am going with thier lighter flywheel and a stronger engine. And since its apart it wont be much to replace it.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

and I took mine to the track the same day I installed it with about 175 miles on it and no problems so far. now I dont recomend this, but its a great smooth clutch. Pete and Jeff will stand up for thier products a lot better than anyone.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, thats a nice review, AFAIK, you have the most miles on a Textralia out of anyone.

I personally love mine, though only about 2k miles on it, and about 10 passes. Smooth engagement, very streetable, almost no chatter, and grabs very well.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

NO chatter!!! none...at all. thats what sold me on it. everything else that im getting from it has been an added plus. the grip is unbeleivable and it feels like a stock clutch. ive been fortunate that my pressure plate bolts have NOT backed out. i have 4500miles on mine, (its not a daily driver, but could if i didt have another car) and over 50 track passes on the hose and nittos. I have no experiance with the mcleod so i cant tell you its better but i can tell you ill never go with another style clutch again. when and if this one goes, ill get another TEXT.
BTW..i bought mine before Young became a dealer for them or i would have purchased from him..
Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

another vote for the Textralia- streetability is excellant
Old 01-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorta a hijack, but along the lines of Textralia, any words on their Tri-grip clutch? The new F-body stainless, no restriction hydraulic line?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not really worried about breaking the rear end. Of course, I want something that is streetable. But when I line it up to race I want to be able to launch as hard as I want, with or without slicks. With Mcleod I know that wouldn't be a problem. Neither would daily driving if I wanted. But I've heard great things about the TEX, too.

Anyone with high 400, 600 and up hp have one? Any hard launches and just cruising type driving? Thanks for all the responses so far. Keep em coming!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luv2spdT/A
I'm not really worried about breaking the rear end. Of course, I want something that is streetable. But when I line it up to race I want to be able to launch as hard as I want, with or without slicks. With Mcleod I know that wouldn't be a problem. Neither would daily driving if I wanted. But I've heard great things about the TEX, too.

Anyone with high 400, 600 and up hp have one? Any hard launches and just cruising type driving? Thanks for all the responses so far. Keep em coming!
im will over 550rwhp and 600rwtq..
Old 01-20-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

J-rod has mentioned a 4000lbs car in Australia with alot of boost that has been beeting on the Tex pretty hard without any problems.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

for the price and no maintaince on the texrailia set-up, and the best customer support/warrenty. This is a great street/strip clutch. Its mainly what real people, not the maker have been writing about, these guys will not toy anyone around. I travel a lot for my job with my car, and put a huge amount of miles on my car. About 20 thousand of my miles are gridlock city driving(Austin Tx.) Now I know the other is also good, but in my opinion, these guys have more pros than cons. And one of the main reason any clutch fails so early is a bad insall or not seated/broken in properly.