Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

car wont go in gear after line lock install..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont go in gear after line lock install..

ok, i installed my line lock today. its a pos. i dont know what it did wrong, but it was not holding the car for ****. well i was going to drive off and i couldnt go into reverse. i removed a power cable and it sparked cause it grounded, but i was hearing a grinding sound when i tried to go into reverse and it just does not wanna get in gear smoothly. anyone have any ideas what it could be? once its in gear, its fine, but its going into the gears and reverse that i have my problems.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Check your fuses. Their is a reverse lockout solinoid. Not sure which fuse it would be on.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

would that also mess with me not being able to go in other gears?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
would that also mess with me not being able to go in other gears?
yes
Old 02-03-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

well then i guess im gonna try to get that replaced! any idea how much they cost? i wonder how im gonna replace it. do i have to drop the tranny?
Old 02-03-2006, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well then i guess im gonna try to get that replaced! any idea how much they cost? i wonder how im gonna replace it. do i have to drop the tranny?
DON'T DO IT. That has nothing to do with it.
Ayyyy, my furry little friend. The line lock has ABSOLUTELY nothing toi do with the tranny. Its just a coincidence that it happened right after you installed it.
the problem you are having is that the clutch is not disengaging all the way. Its usually a problem with your hydrolics. Air, a leak, one of the cylinders going out or something like that.
The the reverse lock out solenoid would cause your shifter to be hard to push OVER but not up into reverse and there would be no gear chattering either. AND this would not effect any other gear.
You're lucky i came into the M6 forum i never come in here. i just saw your name and clicked on this thread.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

you know, i thought my master cylinder may be going out cause its been feeling really soft lately. why would the line lock not hold the car though? i guess its a good thing i got the ram master cylinder
Old 02-04-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
DON'T DO IT. That has nothing to do with it.
Ayyyy, my furry little friend. The line lock has ABSOLUTELY nothing toi do with the tranny. Its just a coincidence that it happened right after you installed it.
the problem you are having is that the clutch is not disengaging all the way. Its usually a problem with your hydrolics. Air, a leak, one of the cylinders going out or something like that.
The the reverse lock out solenoid would cause your shifter to be hard to push OVER but not up into reverse and there would be no gear chattering either. AND this would not effect any other gear.
You're lucky i came into the M6 forum i never come in here. i just saw your name and clicked on this thread.
well i cant put it in any gear with the car on. when i have it off or with the key to accessory its fine. i can get in any of them, but i cant do it with it on. when i try to put it in gear, it wont budge, but when i try to push it in 1st, it makes the car move foward a bit and the same goes for reverse. any thoughts??
Old 02-04-2006, 03:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

well i cant put it in any gear with the car on. when i have it off or with the key to accessory its fine. i can get in any of them, but i cant do it with it on. when i try to put it in gear, it wont budge, but when i try to push it in 1st, it makes the car move foward a bit and the same goes for reverse. any thoughts??
Dude, that's a really really weird coincidence. My trans is doing the same thing to me....and it was about 8 hours after installing aSLP linelock too I was blaming the clutch (or hydraulics), take your pic, but this is an eerie coincidence.

I do agree with the above thread....do't think it's anything more than a coincidence. The hydraulics on the clutch have zero in common with the linelock and brake system.

I'm in the middle of a master cylinder replacement on my car now....I'll let you know if this fixes these symptoms.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

try bleeding the clutch.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

juan, how do i bleed it with a mityvac? im almost done installing my new master. just gotta hook up the quick disconnect. all the fluid came out of the resevoir so i know there's air in it.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

never used that. i just shake all the bubbles out of the master before installing it. the rod has to be stiff and not go in at all. then you put it in the car and bleed it the regular way a few times and your set.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

oh, i installed it already, i filled the resevoir with fluid, then pressed the quick disconnect side in to let the fluid through. will that not work? do i need to uninstall it and do it over?
Old 02-06-2006, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

oh, i installed it already, i filled the resevoir with fluid, then pressed the quick disconnect side in to let the fluid through. will that not work? do i need to uninstall it and do it over?
It probably will but you might have to bleed it for a while before you can get all the air out.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

right now the m/c is very very soft, so i know the fluid hasnt ran through it completely, but it just circulates right? resevoir->m/c->slave and back? so after enough times i should be able to get it all out right?
Old 02-06-2006, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

right now the m/c is very very soft, so i know the fluid hasnt ran through it completely, but it just circulates right? resevoir->m/c->slave and back? so after enough times i should be able to get it all out right?
no it doesn't circulate.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

ok, so then the slave, master, and the resevoir get filled and thats it? just no air?
Old 02-07-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

ok, i replaced the master cylinder and bled it. car still wont go in gear when its on. so is it the slave or the reverse lockout solenoid?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

its NOT the reverse lock out.
what clutch do you have?
unplug the clutch line, the pedal should not go down at all. if it does there is air in the master.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

the ram powergrip hd. if the pedal doesnt go down and i did get all the air out, then what does that tell me? its the slave?