Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 got stuck in 4th, need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M6 got stuck in 4th, need help ASAP

I've had no problems with my trans before, but tonight I was running a mustang and ran out 4th. The run ended, so I let it run down a bit, then went to shift into 5th. It wouldn't budge. I tried forcing it a bit but didn't want to do more damage. I cruised around a bit in 4th, then tried applying a bit of pressure to the shifter towards neutral while modulating the clutch, trying to "kick" it free.

After several minutes it went into a semi nuetral where it was somewhat in teh nuetral position but was still in gear. A little while longer I was able to get it into 5th. Now I have 1,2,4,5, and 6th, but it won't go into 3rd or reverse. There is also a weird feeling through the shifter as I move towards the left bank of gears (1,2) and it just feels off a bit, although it will go into 4th 5 and 6 normally.

It runs fine when it's in gear, and I can't hear any weird noises coming from the shifter, so I'm guessing the gears are ok. I'm leaning towards a linkage problem. I am running the stock hurst with a short stick on it. I remember the ads for the pro 5.0 mentioning something about protecting against bent forks or something. Could this be my problem?

I am about 50 miles from my house right now and have limited access to tools. I could probaly get it home. Can anyone give me some idea of what I could be dealing with?

I do shift kind of hard sometimes, but never have had any symtoms of this before. I can't remember if I did a hard shift to fourth this time.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Launching!

ttt
Old 02-04-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

maybe the clutch overheated? has it cooled down?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hate to tell it to you, but its time for a rebuild.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Teching In

You broke a slider key. Rebuild it with the billet keys and make extra sure that you clutch isn't hanging up at all.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:59 PM

Definitally sounds like a slider key. I broke a couple of mine a while back and had to rebuild my trans. It would occasionally get stuck in 4th and wouldn't stay in 3rd. Might as well throw a good clutch in it while you're at it.

On a side note, stangkiller, I've never seen a TA in that color. It looks AMAZING!
Old 02-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Sorry off topic, but they produced them in that color? I defintly never knew that. Whats the name of the color?
Old 02-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Sorry off topic, but STANG KILLER they produced them in that color? I defintly never knew that. Whats the name of the color?
Old 02-04-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol, yes its an original color, its called Medium Blue Metallic. It was called Nassau Blue on the early C5 vettes, and Bright Blue Metallic on Z28's. Not available on WS6 or SS cars. Thanks for the compliments.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

yep I licked mine in 4th too brock the keys, and needed a new 3-4 sycron assembly and 3rd gear.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Definitally sounds like a slider key. I broke a couple of mine a while back and had to rebuild my trans. It would occasionally get stuck in 4th and wouldn't stay in 3rd. Might as well throw a good clutch in it while you're at it.

On a side note, stangkiller, I've never seen a TA in that color. It looks AMAZING!

Thanks for all the repsonses. I looked up general info on t56 problems and according to one shop that rebuilds them it is the slider key that goes out when it's stuck in gear.

I also had someone recommend the slave cylinder being a possibility. The thing is I started it up this morning and it worked fine at first, with the exception that third still wasn't accessible. Reverse was fine and so was 1st and 2nd. Right after startup though and after i pulled out and started to pull away it wouldn't go out of nuetral, except for 4th. I had to get out of the way so I limped from a start in 4th to get it rolling and threw a quick rev, at which point it went into 2nd. From then on every gear except third worked fine and I drove home. I started experimenting and found that it would occasionally go into third but it would hang up after that until I managed to get it into fourth at which point it would once again work ok.

The only other thing that happens is that when I try to downshift from 4th to 2nd, even when revmatching there will be a slight crunch, but it will go in without much trouble. There are no other sounds.

I don't really have the facilities to be dropping the trans so that is my last resort. I picked up a slave cylinder but when I read my manual I found out that 98+ cars have all that on the inside so I would still have to drop it. I guess if I have to drop it and rebuild it I might as well do everything right. What is recommended for a good upgrade? In the future I'm anticipating a decent heads/cam set up with over 400rwhp and maybe a nitrous shot for a little extra. I'm not a big drag racer but I do run it kind of hard on the street and will be doing some road racing.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished up my ASE TDL Tech class, and if a transmission is locked into gear, 99% of the time it is the synchro assy....a broken key, not held in place by the clip spring, will bind in the clutching teeth, and prevent it from lining up to slide out of gear....hope it's minimal damage bro!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Launching!

My M6 did the same thing, started hanging in 3rd and 4th sometimes-seemed to be stuck in neutral sometimes, It finally stuck in 4th one day and I couldn't get it out. I rebuilt it myself and it wasn't really hard at all. Mine only needed the keys for the 3-4 synchro and I replaced the 3-4 shift fork (mine was aluminum, I upgraded it to the steel one in the newer M6's). Total parts for mine was les than 200 dollars. The more times you grind the gears in it, the more it's gonna cost you to rebuild it. Best of luck
Old 02-05-2006, 08:17 AM

Yeah, I drove mine for a while like that and it mostly seemed fine, but when I took it apart there were a few things worn and broken that probably wouldn't have been if I had stopped right after the first time I had a problem.