Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 5/Shimed Slave- Big Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec 5/Shimed Slave- Big Problems

My friend just installed a Spec 5 with the flywheel that comes with it into my brand new T-56 built by Rodney @ Rpm Transmissions. He installed the shim that comes with the kit and says in the instructions to put in a f-body. Well after trying to drive it the clutch doesn't engage at all and the car is not drivable. It doesn't grab and when the clutch is totally out and accelerating, the clutch takes all kinds of abuse (just spinning), and the motor doesn't get very much power to it. Were thinking that is has to be the shim that is causing the problems and were ticked off that we have to take the whole tranny out to fix it. Any similar experiences or commets welcome please. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Teching In

If you used the bolts to pull the tranny home its the shim. How thick is the shim they give you?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to remove the shim on my spec III the night we put it in. There was no free travel at the top of the pedal so the clutch was not fully engaged.
Removing it will help
Old 04-12-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I remember that we had to get a little longer bolts with using the shim on my SPEC 3. Also if that shim isn't lined up correctly you will have problems. After dropping the tranny 3 times b/c fluid was leaking from the bellhousing and getting no pressure on the clutch pedal, we couldn't figure out why. On the last go around, we saw that the shim wasn't lined up correctly, fixed it and everything was perfect.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

get an adjustable master, or just make your stock master adjustable. its VERY easy to do and will solve your problem. just cut the rod end off, thread the rod and buy a threaded female rod end.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

i just installed a spec 5 about 3 or 4 weeks ago, mine came with a steel shim and i installed it, i bled the system very well. all seems good and has a good feel and it grabs like a ****. try bleeding the system again before you pull the tranny back out. i like the spec 5 except for the damn squeeling when i take off.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many times have you replaced the slave bearing? The reason I ask is becaue when you change it there is a metal washer that ussually stays on the the slave assembly,that has to be taken off or else it acts like another spacer for the bearing causing your problem.

We did my buddy's throwout bearing 4 different times throughout the years and the last time the clutch would not engage.I pulled it apart and removed 3 washers from the slave assembly that were left there from previous throwout bearings.---problem fixed.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not really mechanically inclined but my friend who is doing my tranny is, and i ran all of those options by him and nothing that was suggested was the problem. Thanks for the suggestions though. He is almost 100% positive that it is the shim causing the problem but is just furious that he has to pull the tranny out again. The shim probably doesn't work becususe for some reason the dimensions insuide the transmission is different than what most are.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nice SSer
I'm not really mechanically inclined but my friend who is doing my tranny is, and i ran all of those options by him and nothing that was suggested was the problem. Thanks for the suggestions though. He is almost 100% positive that it is the shim causing the problem but is just furious that he has to pull the tranny out again. The shim probably doesn't work becususe for some reason the dimensions insuide the transmission is different than what most are.
umm, everybody suggested it was the shim it only takes about 30 minutes to pull the tranny if your good. no nead to be 'furious'
Old 04-13-2006, 08:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice SSer
We've used the shims on about 20 SPEC clutch setup's and never had your problem. I would go with the shim installed wrong too.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

Removed the shim and clutch works great. It is very, and i mean very grabby, but thats what i wanted. It'll squeek most times when taking off depending on how you let the clutch out. Its more of a chirp than a squeal, it kinda sounds like your chirping the tires. It also chirps when shifting gears but overall i love the clutch so far.