Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Partial T56 Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Partial T56 Rebuild?

My original transmission still works normally but I will soon be installing a new clutch and am wondering whether I would be foolish to not also replace synchronizers and shift forks while my driveline is apart. Is there something else that is relatively easy to do? Or is simply opening the transmission case sufficiently difficult that a partial rebuild of any sort does not make sense? I want to fully disassemble and upgrade my transmission eventually but I work very slowly and now is not a good time.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

If you have all teh tools and parts and are mechanically inclined, then you can do it.

THere are instructions and pictures (I can dig up the links if you need them) available online for free.

THe only thing that makes the job take long, is if you need to replace the bearings. I bought my transmission used, so I replaced them.

Its a hell of a lot easier to do with a hydraulic press, but not necessary.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this in just under 3 hours, I most definitely need any tips and pointers you can give me it's been awhile since I did a 4 speed, but i've gone over and over the daigrams for this one and am up to the task but more info is always better. As for tools I have a c-clip remover, but have been known to improvise
Attached Thumbnails Partial T56 Rebuild?-ds2_13941.jpg  
Old 06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default this is my partial rebuild kit and partial it is.

its got all the bearings, 1-2 shift fork, 2 friction rings, a 3-4 synchro assembly with matching blocker rings in like new cond., a reverse synchro assembly with blocker rings in like new cond., 2 other blocker rings?? dont know where they go, 2 other brass blocker rings also dont know?.....yet.

A rear seal and 2 races, I'm in contact with RPm transmissions, they seem pretty cool, i'm buying their 3-4 steel fork, and they're gonna help me out with whatever else I may need, just wanting to be extra thorough if you guys have any good tips or advice, my thanks to you ahead of time.

I'm mulling over going with billet steel keys for all 1-6.

And just cannot afford to go with brass fork pads if I do ALL the keys, but will revisit this much easier to get to part later.
Attached Thumbnails Partial T56 Rebuild?-halfkit1.jpg  
Old 06-05-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Did this in just under 3 hours, I most definitely need any tips and pointers you can give me it's been awhile since I did a 4 speed, but i've gone over and over the daigrams for this one and am up to the task but more info is always better. As for tools I have a c-clip remover, but have been known to improvise
AH heck, THe only thing else that I can think that you'll need besides a hammer and vice grips is maybe some tin foil and chewing gum. That always helped McGuyver get out of predicaments.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

its got all the bearings, 1-2 shift fork, 2 friction rings, a 3-4 synchro assembly with matching blocker rings in like new cond., a reverse synchro assembly with blocker rings in like new cond., 2 other blocker rings?? dont know where they go, 2 other brass blocker rings also dont know?.....yet.

A rear seal and 2 races, I'm in contact with RPm transmissions, they seem pretty cool, i'm buying their 3-4 steel fork, and they're gonna help me out with whatever else I may need, just wanting to be extra thorough if you guys have any good tips or advice, my thanks to you ahead of time.

I'm mulling over going with billet steel keys for all 1-6.

And just cannot afford to go with brass fork pads if I do ALL the keys, but will revisit this much easier to get to part later.
I only went with the 3/4 Billet Keys. I think I am going to reopen the case (still on the work bench) and buy the brass fork pads. When I removed the originals, they were just about all cracked. I can see how they would hold up.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Oops, almost forgot the link:

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=1877
Old 06-05-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Love that link!! your the man.
check out my high table. I can't brag about building it enough, it was perfect other than getting the tranny up that high to settle it up there by yourself, man if I say its heavy, it's cuz its heavy, must be like 400 lbs.
It's high enough to where you don't have to be looking down while working, can u say no to chronic neck pain?!
Attached Thumbnails Partial T56 Rebuild?-ds2_13991.jpg  
Old 06-05-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well this is as far as macgyver can go without a good puller, had to quit cuz I dont have one, and if I try to pull stunts i'm gonna score something and that would be stupdity.

Already tho I found both fork pads on the reverse shift fork all gone and holding on to dear life with only I swear a few mm of plastic doing it's job, and I also found broken snap ring large thinly one like the ones that hold in the keys on the synchro's but I cannnot imagine how it is that it was just floating in the extension housing.

Looks like the brass shift fork pads are gonna be a must have, my partial rebuild/upgrade is panning out to get expensive REAL fast.
Attached Thumbnails Partial T56 Rebuild?-ds2_14011.jpg  
Old 06-05-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like you are making some good progress......damn man you got that thing up there by yourself.......I remember moving mine around the garage and could barely walk........maybe because the trans probably weighs more than I do!!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Love that link!! your the man.
check out my high table. I can't brag about building it enough, it was perfect other than getting the tranny up that high to settle it up there by yourself, man if I say its heavy, it's cuz its heavy, must be like 400 lbs.
It's high enough to where you don't have to be looking down while working, can u say no to chronic neck pain?!
Yeah, I drilled holes in my workbench
Old 06-10-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Was hunting for parts and other solutions...

...these 2 rat bastards were thread locked and had to be given the hot rubbing lotion treatment to loosen her up.
Attached Thumbnails Partial T56 Rebuild?-threadlockedsobs.jpg  
Old 06-10-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Here she is wide open....

1-4 were all intact and in great shape. I put a lot of the pieces in sandwich bags together with their counterparts.
Attached Thumbnails Partial T56 Rebuild?-crackedopen.jpg  
Old 06-10-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default These 2 uncle fockers conspired against me..

..to turn my fair budgetted rebuild into a clusterF.

Reverse synchro teeth were banged up, the actual gear teeth were in excellent shape with no signs of wear at all. Reverse had to be replaced and i got lucky as I happen to have a synchro assembly from a little stash of parts I been collecting for this day. Also got lucky again as I found the Reverse locally that had an excellent used one with absolutely no wear.

Now 5th on the other hand I have not found used, and not only do I need 5th but it's matching synchro. about 200-250 alone. g-dammit.

Along the way I considered going with Liberties face plating as I have had a problem with upshifting into 5th at high rpm for awhile, but bumped into someone who explained this was more of a clutch disengagement issue and it is not a common theme on T-56 so I'm back to trying to just replace it.

I am also going to go with all the carbon blocker rings, billet 3-4, maybe 5-6, and brass fork pads 1-6 and even reverse+a steel 3-4 fork. so this has gotten really expensive. As I did not intend to go with all these premium upgrades but they are hard to resist since I have her wide open like this. I'd rather do it now and be done with.

If you look closely on this pic on the fork for reverse, there is almost no pads, but the very bits of white, you can barely see it but its there, thats all that was left of the original pad. It seems the heat turns them brittle over the years and they just crumble apart. This explains all my clunking into Reverse.
Attached Thumbnails Partial T56 Rebuild?-reverse-5thhappybastards.jpg