Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ls7 clutch beatdown !

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls7 clutch beatdown !

I just wanted to say thanks again for the service from Amber and jason at t56rebuilds (and the military discount )
I told them i was going to beat the hell out of this clutch and give everyone here some feedback on it. Well here is my first bit of feedback....
Thanks to Meents02SS for helping me finish my H/C build up....basically everything you see in my sig got finished being put in this weekend thanks to his help

We got everything in and rolling in my car this last weekend and hooked up hp tuners to make a couple little minor adjustments....
then we were off for the first test run.

With 18.6 miles on the H/C setup and Clutch i went WOT with 3 people in the car from a first gear roll..... I did it four times in a row to see how everything help up.
The clutch didnt slip up one time...held strong every single run......it didnt stick to the floor or anything....!!!!!
I my first impression is this thing is featherlite....grabs alittle off the floor like everyone else says....and drives like a dream!!
So far i am very happy with the results!
...i will keep beating on it....here, and in the next week i will strap on my draglites with ET streets and do some crazy launches to see how things hold.....then i will spray the 150 shot with alittle more miles on it
I think thats about it for now...stay tuned
Old 06-20-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear cause mines going in this weekend!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

I'm glad your being a guinney pig for us all, mine goes in wednesday. A big concern of mine with it is how long it's going to last miles wise to abuse.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally someone beatin on one. Mine should be arriving this week, so I will be lookin for your updates.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to see.We found the limit around 480rwhp on FI cars that run the track.So we use them sometimes in NA H/C cars but stay away from them in Nitrous/Blower cars that hit the track.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HartAttack
With 18.6 miles on the H/C setup and Clutch i went WOT with 3 people in the car from a first gear roll..... I did it four times in a row to see how everything help up.
The clutch didnt slip up one time...held strong every single run......it didnt stick to the floor or anything....!!!!!
Damn! Glad you are abusing yours harder than I am. You are braver than I as far as "break-in" period goes - I know some folks don't break them in much but I've been reading to drive them 500 miles or so before beating on them. Heck, I felt "guilty" for doing one WOT run with 275 clutch miles on my bolt on car...well maybe "guilty" is too strong a word.

You should notice the pedal come up an inch or two within a couple/few hundred miles...mine feels much better already. Update us after running with slicks!

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Good to see.We found the limit around 480rwhp on FI cars that run the track.So we use them sometimes in NA H/C cars but stay away from them in Nitrous/Blower cars that hit the track.
That's the first HP recommendation I've seen on them. I doubt I will be pushing that kind of HP for a long time (if ever), so I'm happy with my choice.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The way i see it is....sure 500 miles on the clutch is good, but you want to get it every kind of break in wether it be stop and go, freeway, and the occassional wot pull.
Think about the guys that get these z06's new.....most people when they test drive one , they rip the **** out of it with barely any miles, and the clutches hold....so why cant i do it and make it last? its a performance clutch...so i am gonna give it some performance

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
When you say hit the "track"....how often are you talking about? just once and a while or most of the time?
I expect this to hold a couple back to back nitrous runs on bottle at the track.. and probably more with cool down times.
I have talked to a couple guys with the new z06's that are cammed and headered and they havent had any problems with the clutch so far....
one guy with the spray is saying his is holding.
I guess we will see Thanks for the input.
-Chris
Old 06-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Teching In

I Went Racing The Same Night I Put Mine In 2k Miles Ago, Love It
Old 06-20-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

i'm real curious to see if it will take abuse on an actual sticky tire, that's where clutches will give up first.

keep us updated!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KGSloan
i'm real curious to see if it will take abuse on an actual sticky tire, that's where clutches will give up first.

keep us updated!

will do!...
nice color and wheels by the way
Old 06-20-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im very happy with mine so far, i couldnt help but to take it up to wot in the first couple hundred miles with mine, about 3500 miles and im still happy
Old 06-21-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HartAttack
will do!...
nice color and wheels by the way

thanks
SOM is the BEST color on the f-bod's. i see your formula is SOM as well, nice choice

i'm subscribing to this thread, want to see if the ls7 can take 6k dumps or not

Old 06-21-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

**** the LS7 clutch better hold a lot of power. My stock LS1 clutch with 95k on it still holds strong with a 150 shot, so I would think the LS7 can handle much more.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well i can't wait to hear what it's breaking point is!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brad8266
**** the LS7 clutch better hold a lot of power. My stock LS1 clutch with 95k on it still holds strong with a 150 shot, so I would think the LS7 can handle much more.
i can garuntee that it won't hold that off of the line with slicks. it's not that impressive for a clutch to hold power while moving down the road IMO, the real test is during the launch and then the 1-2 shift (i'm not talking about launching on street tires, may as well be launching in the rain at that point).
Old 06-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Banned

Didnt your SOM formula used to have a procharger on it ? .. i remember Seeing this car rolling down Sunrise blvd here in sacramento. If its the same car, Nice car !!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KGSloan
i can garuntee that it won't hold that off of the line with slicks. it's not that impressive for a clutch to hold power while moving down the road IMO, the real test is during the launch and then the 1-2 shift (i'm not talking about launching on street tires, may as well be launching in the rain at that point).
Well I lauch on my DS-G3's and they hook ok since I learned how to lauch better and dont have problems on the shift.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Scrubscribing
Old 06-28-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lethal_Ws6
Didnt your SOM formula used to have a procharger on it ? .. i remember Seeing this car rolling down Sunrise blvd here in sacramento. If its the same car, Nice car !!
wow...you remember that huh? dang...yeah that was me....i sold the procharger took it back to stock and was gonna sell it then changed my mind and did all this crap mod bug owns me.

update..alittle over 550 miles on it now...still holding strong. Bottle will on it next week. should be hitting the track on friday. Its holding lauches on the street so far...as well as a couple back to back runs.
-Chris
Old 06-28-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I just installed the LS7 kit from T56rebuilds also and it works great so far in a customers car. I took the T/A home for the weekend to make sure evrything was OK with the install I just finished up: heads/cam, longtubes etcc.. I am very impressed with the driveabiltiy and holding up very well when getting on it. The car should have 420rwhp or so and it burns the tires in 4th@90+mph. Later Clint

Quick Reply: Ls7 clutch beatdown !