Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Nervous shifting gears 1-2

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nervous shifting gears 1-2

I just got my 01 SS about two weeks ago. I've been getting used to the clutch and a couple times I've gotten on it pretty good. When I did it just didn't seem to want to go smoothly into second gear around 5000/5500 rpms. Instead of forcing it into second I just held in the clutch and waited, then put it in second gear.

Is this kind of resistance normal and I just need to grow a pair and jam it into gear? I'd really not like to take any chances as I don't have the money for a new clutch/tranny at the moment .

Last edited by Scotty562; 07-11-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

I'm no expert but it shouldnt be hard to get into gear period. I have the stock clutch on mine and usually shift at ~6500 and it shifts very easily. Actually i think it's easier to shift WOT than it is cruising
Old 07-12-2006, 06:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Scotty562
I just got my 01 SS about two weeks ago. I've been getting used to the clutch and a couple times I've gotten on it pretty good. When I did it just didn't seem to want to go smoothly into second gear around 5000/5500 rpms. Instead of forcing it into second I just held in the clutch and waited, then put it in second gear.

Is this kind of resistance normal and I just need to grow a pair and jam it into gear? I'd really not like to take any chances as I don't have the money for a new clutch/tranny at the moment .
im having the same problem the 2nd gear just locks out when reving high...
from what i have been reading here it culd be the hydrolics its a comion problem on these cars. please PM me if you find out what the problem is this is realy annoying! if noone can give you a certain answer try have the system bled and if that dont work try the drill mod and if that still dosnt do the trik change the master or slave cylender
Old 07-12-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Drill mod works wonders.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Shamson5.7
Drill mod works wonders.

Yes it does!!!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

The drill mod is a possibility but I'm curious is something isn't actually wrong with the tranny. Going from 1st to 2nd it wants to fall strait into 4th. I have to almost force it into the correct gear.

Since I originally made this post I've been playing around with it more and it seems to happen most noticably when I shift when the RPM's are low. Granted it happens no matter where I shift, that's just the worst spot.

Last edited by Scotty562; 08-05-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1-2 shift has always been a bit notchy, especially at low RPMs. I've done two clutch swaps now, and replaced all the hydraulics, and it is still like that (even different fluids didn't help).

That being said, I have a new tranny on the way from T56 Rebuilds, so I'll see what a new trans is like as well. Since said tranny is on the way, I took the liberty to just rip the **** out of the 1-2 shift (not powershifting, but yanking it pretty damn hard), and I barked the tires shifting at only 3.5k RPMs (just messing around). It can be shifted fast, but whether or not that will kill your tranny in short order is another question I can't answer...my guess would be that it doesn't do it any favors.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dunno but I have no need for the drill mod in my 02. Stock clutch and all and it shifts great @ 6500(thnx hptuners) minus wheel spin
Old 08-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reasurance (I think). As long as this is fairly normal and not my tranny going bad I'm not to concerned about it. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

The drill mod is a possibility but I'm curious is something isn't actually wrong with the tranny. Going from 1st to 2nd it wants to fall strait into 4th. I have to almost force it into the correct gear.

Since I originally made this post I've been playing around with it more and it seems to happen most noticably when I shift when the RPM's are low. Granted it happens no matter where I shift, that's just the worst spot.
Are you aware of the CAGS that your 6-speed has?? The reason it's going straight from 1st to 4th is the Computer Assisted Gear Selection, which FORCES a 1st - 4th shift under light load / low RPM situations! In most peoples' opinion, it's an annoying "feature" that GM put on the car, and it's only there to help improve fuel economy. If you want to get around it, you have to get on the throttle a little harder in 1st, or you can get a CAGS eliminator to by-pass it, and then it won't bother you any more! I don't think you should be trying to "force it" to go into 2nd if CAGS is activating??
Old 08-08-2006, 06:04 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Cap'n! I did a little more research and this is exactly the issue I'm having. I would have never guessed it was a safty feature O.o. I'm going to get a CAGS eliminator asap.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
Are you aware of the CAGS that your 6-speed has?? The reason it's going straight from 1st to 4th is the Computer Assisted Gear Selection, which FORCES a 1st - 4th shift under light load / low RPM situations! In most peoples' opinion, it's an annoying "feature" that GM put on the car, and it's only there to help improve fuel economy. If you want to get around it, you have to get on the throttle a little harder in 1st, or you can get a CAGS eliminator to by-pass it, and then it won't bother you any more! I don't think you should be trying to "force it" to go into 2nd if CAGS is activating??
Old 08-08-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Cap'n! I did a little more research and this is exactly the issue I'm having. I would have never guessed it was a safty feature O.o. I'm going to get a CAGS eliminator asap.
in your first post you said you were having trouble when shifting @ 5000-5500rps that is not the cags thats locking the gears its something else. but if you are having trouble also at low rpms then you dont have the same problems that i have.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

It's kind of everywhere, I've done alot more driving since the original post. I think up high it might have been me learning how to shift the car (I've gotten alot better). But down low when it wanted to go into fourth, I believe it may be this cags. Either way I'm going to get the eliminator and find out .

Originally Posted by old and good
in your first post you said you were having trouble when shifting @ 5000-5500rps that is not the cags thats locking the gears its something else. but if you are having trouble also at low rpms then you dont have the same problems that i have.

Quick Reply: Nervous shifting gears 1-2