Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Correct position of clutch pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Correct position of clutch pedal?

When I converted my tranny from A4 to M6 I installed an adjustable master cylinder. Everything is working fine, I just don't know what is the correct (usual) position of the clutch pedal. Let's say: same height of the brake pedal? Higher? lower?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think mines a little bit higher than the brake pedal..
Old 08-14-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

A little bit... like... how much? I'm now at almost 2" and I have the impression it's too much
Old 08-14-2006, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Mine's about an inch higher than the brake pedal,,,
Old 08-15-2006, 06:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just finished the swap myself a couple days ago ... if I'm not mistaken, they're almost perfectly even?? (the clutch may be ~1/2" higher than the brake, but that would be about it I think?) ... that's with a factory master cylinder.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
I just finished the swap myself a couple days ago ... if I'm not mistaken, they're almost perfectly even?? (the clutch may be ~1/2" higher than the brake, but that would be about it I think?) ... that's with a factory master cylinder.
The thing is that when you drill yourself an hole for the master it's position will influence the height of the pedal. already 1/8" will make a difference.
I messes up with my hole (too low), that's why I had to modify the master and make it adjustable.
It would be interesting to see how an original pedal looks like...
Old 08-15-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The best place for it would be even with the bake pedal..
Old 08-15-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tici
The thing is that when you drill yourself an hole for the master it's position will influence the height of the pedal. already 1/8" will make a difference.
I messes up with my hole (too low), that's why I had to modify the master and make it adjustable.
It would be interesting to see how an original pedal looks like...
Did you not just install the pedals and use the braket as your guide/template for where to drill the holes?? That's all I did and everything seemed to line up perfect. In fact, 1 of the 2 bolt holes was already there in the firewall! Basically all I'm saying is, unless you bent the heck out of the pedal bracket (in particular the clutch side) there's no way you should be too far off of factory.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im glad I found this post... I was searching for a picture of the pedals. I swapped in LS1 pedals into my 87 Trans am. I cut the gas pedal off because my original fit better. After fighting with the master, trying to get the rod to go in straight, Im finally good. However.. my clutch pedal is probably like mentioned above..maybe 2" higher than the brake. I have an adjustable master, and it is adjusted out quite a bit.

Does anyone have a pic of their pedals that can illustrate proper pedal heights??

I thought about adjusting the master in some, but I was afraid with the tension thats on the pedal from the helper spring, that it would cause damage to the master by "pulling" at the rod while its not being depressed.

Any insight/pics would be awsome!.

This is the best pic I have available of how my pedals fell. This is before I fixed the rod alignment issue..so they might be alittle different. Kinda hard to tell because its not on an angle.

Justin
Old 08-15-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
Did you not just install the pedals and use the braket as your guide/template for where to drill the holes?? That's all I did and everything seemed to line up perfect. In fact, 1 of the 2 bolt holes was already there in the firewall! Basically all I'm saying is, unless you bent the heck out of the pedal bracket (in particular the clutch side) there's no way you should be too far off of factory.
The pedal cluster is made on thin metal sheets and it was a little bent (the conversion kit came in a crate from the States to Switzerland, maybe some shakings during the shipping).
So well... I drilled the hole in the wrong place.
Not too far away, maybe a little too high and a little too on the right.
In origin I made the master adjustable because of a shitty Spec clutch that didn't wanted to disengage completely.
I then installed a stock clutch. It disengage perfectly, but I was unsure about the pedal height.

However: I adjusted it today to be 1/2" higher then the brake pedal: PERFECT! The car starts to move half way of the pedal movement.
Shifting is OK too.

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
I thought about adjusting the master in some, but I was afraid with the tension thats on the pedal from the helper spring, that it would cause damage to the master by "pulling" at the rod while its not being depressed
If you feel that the helper spring is pulling too much you can remove it. I never had one and never had an issue. I asked around and apparently many people are driving aroud without it.
Let me take a picture tomorrow and I'll post it.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

pics as promised. The lower end of the clutch pedal is now 1" higher than the lower end of the brake pedal.
Attached Thumbnails Correct position of clutch pedal?-dsc02021.jpg   Correct position of clutch pedal?-dsc02023.jpg  
Old 08-16-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm..looks like yours is like mine now... I could have been way off on the 2" estimate. I was looking at mine yesterday and its probably not that much higher.

So you can take that spring out of the clutch pedal???? Does it make the pedal way stiffer?? Any actual advantages? I found out the hard way that that spring has some good tension on it. When I first took the pedals out the 99, I was holding them in my left hand, and pushed on the clutch pedal with my right...thinking it was just a spring back type deal. No... Darn pedal came flying down like a mousetrap and almost took off a finger! haha.

Justin
Old 08-16-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

That spring costs here about $80, no ****!
That's why I never bought a new one.
Apparently they brake easily and many people never replace them (also because it's pretty difficult to install it).
I never had one so I can't tell the difference. I installed it last November and since then it's fine.
Because the pedal is not coming up completely you may have to adjust the cruise switch a little: it has to open as soon you touch the pedal.
Not completely means maybe 1/2" or even less, not a big issue.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guy I have to go back to the old pedal position

I lowered the clutch pedal to have it about 1/2" higher than the brake padal. The first impression was fine, but after a couple of days I'm sure that wasn't a good idea

The clutch seems to desingage completely but shifting isn't good as before.
Maybe my hydraulic system isn't completely bubbles-free, but we don't have the tools you get over there and what I have now is the best I can do. Maybe the cluch pedal HAS to be that high.
This weekend I'll put it back as it was before AND NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN

Quick Reply: Correct position of clutch pedal?