Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tranny Problem

I was headed to the track the other day for the first time with my new setup. The drive to the track went fine. It is mostly highway driving. I was cruising down the highway at about 70 mph in 6th gear. I pushed in the clutch and it didn't want to disengage. I had to push the shifter hard to get it out of 6th. I slowed for the turn, pushed in the clutch pedal to pull it into 2nd and it wouldn't go in. I pushed it to the side of the entrance of the track and went inside and watched some drag racing while I waited for the tow truck. I went back outside to check on the car. Figured that I would give it another try and when I pushed in the clutch pedal it disengaged and let me start the car and drive. I pulled forward a little, turned the car off, went inside to tell my buddy that I was gonna try to make it home. Got back in the car and the clutch would not dissengage again. The pedal feels fine and the clutch was engaging and disengaging just fine up until I had this problem. It feels as if the hydraulic line were disconnected but not bled out (because the pedal is firm). I am using a Spec 3+ clutch with a new master and slave cylinder. Any ideas would be appreciated. I pulled the tranny yesterday so it is sitting on my garage floor and the car is still up on the jack stands.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did use the shim behind the slave. How do the clutch and PP wear surfaces look? How many miles on the clutch?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Restricted User

Used the shim. I took the tranny off the bellhousing. I really don't think that it is a wear problem on the clutch itself. It doesn't and has not slipped. On the contrary, it doesn't want to let go.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Restricted User

Is there a way to test the hydraulic parts w/o having it in the car?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Restricted User

Anyone?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be most careful with that. If the CSC is not limited( like it is installed) it can over-extend and blow the seals. I think pumping up the system out of the car is just not a good idea.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Restricted User

Any advice on what I should check for and look for with the above mentioend condition?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be sure that you are not overheating the hydraulic fluid. I see you have LTs . a classic fluid heater-upper. Insulate the line. If it is a fluid over-heat issue, it will look dark in the reservoir. Clean fluid and a mity-vac bleed . Thats all I can suggest for now.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Restricted User

Well, I think I figured out what is causing my problem. It appears that when I installed the new master cylinder (in February I think), I crimped the hose that goes up to the reservoir by running it under the u-bolt. Unfortunately, I pulled the tranny thinking that my problem was with the slave cylinder. Now I can't get the ******* tranny to go back in. I think that I am going to have to bring it somewhere because it is making me progressively more angry and I find myself eyeing the big ******* hammer.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Well, I think I figured out what is causing my problem. It appears that when I installed the new master cylinder (in February I think), I crimped the hose that goes up to the reservoir by running it under the u-bolt. Unfortunately, I pulled the tranny thinking that my problem was with the slave cylinder. Now I can't get the ******* tranny to go back in. I think that I am going to have to bring it somewhere because it is making me progressively more angry and I find myself eyeing the big ******* hammer.
Have you fixed this yet ? if not I live in CT and would be willing to give you a hand for a 6 pack
If i recall correctly you are in CT also ? maybe not idk lol anyways let me know. I just finally got my 402 in the car yesterday I am doing more on it over the next week or so to get it up and running. Would be nice to give someone a hand with the same type of car as me lol. All the kids that work for me have VW lol I'm getting sick of fixing their cars
Let me know.
Thanks
Ron H.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Restricted User

I'm a little further south. West Palm Beach, FL.

I did fix it though. I got the tranny back in. The problem was that I didn't remove the shifter. Once I took it off it was a piece of cake. Then I put it back together and it still didn't work. I took the car to a buddies house with a lift and he pulled the tranny and the bellhousing. The problem had nothing to do with the hydreaulics after all. It was the clutch plate springs on the Spec 3. It just so happened that my buddy had a Spec 5 laying around that he took out when he switched to automatic. All is well now.