Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch Problem

I noticed recently that when I floor it at high speeds that the RPM's rise normal but the car dosen't move any faster. I don't think that the tires could be braking loose at 80mph in 4th gear. I get a mild vibration at first and then if slowly goes away. I don't think its the clutch because I have a spec 3+ w/2k miles on it and I've only had this issue at higher speeds. If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. I spoke with spec and they think that I might have fluid from the slave leak on the flywheel, is there anything I can do? If I keep driving it shoudn't it burn off.

John
Old 10-10-2006, 07:33 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your rear main seal and see if that is where the leak is coming from. If you had a leak in your slave, you would most likely be up a creek as far as driving the thing. Check the reservoir for the Master and see if it looks low on fluid. That will be a good indication if something hydraulic is leaking.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:35 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, you might just be experiencing some chatter. Those clutches are known to do that from their aggressive nature. I had a 3+ and it acted similar. I hated it so much I changed manufacturers all together. The RAM twin disc has been serving me well!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Also, you might just be experiencing some chatter. Those clutches are known to do that from their aggressive nature. I had a 3+ and it acted similar. I hated it so much I changed manufacturers all together. The RAM twin disc has been serving me well!
I never had this issue before untill recently, so I don't think its just chatter from the clutch, I think it might be something else. I'm gonna drive on my slicks and see if I still have the same issue because I think I might be spinning the tires but who knows.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the clutch is slipping. Try full throttle in 6th gear at low speed and low RPM to see if it slips.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I bleed my clutch more do you think this could be a possible fix. I've bleed it before but I think I could stiffen it more.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont think bleeding it will solve the problem, sounds like your clutch is slipping....like someone already said put it in 6th around 45 mph and floor it and see if it slips.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
i dont think bleeding it will solve the problem, sounds like your clutch is slipping....like someone already said put it in 6th around 45 mph and floor it and see if it slips.
It won't slip if its in 6th and I floor it, it slips in 3,4,5th when I hit boost. My clutch slips in boost except in 1st and 2nd. My clutch pedal isn't as stiff as it should be thats why I wasn't sure if bleeding it might help it engage harder (helping with slippage).
Old 10-11-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone think that maybe bleeding it more might help?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
Does anyone think that maybe bleeding it more might help?
I dont think so. I mean, you increase hydraulic pressure to release the clutch disc by pressing the clutch pedal, right? The pressure plate is what keeps it clamped when in gear. If you had a hydraulic problem, you would have a pedal that was sticking to the floor and/or not letting you get from one gear to the next.

If you go based on Spec's theory, then it could be a very small amount of fluid getting on the flywheel causing slippage. This amt might be noticable enough about to see in the fluid reservior...but maybe not. It could also be oil as orangeapeel mentioned

Some other theories would be a glazed clutch disk or a failing pressure plate

If you wanna bleed it (seems like you really do) - it wont hurt to try. Post back up if it works. Personally, I'd do the 45mph roll/floor it to see if you get slippage. I'd think if you were braking the rear tires loose, you'd hear it (at 45mph anyway) Other than that, sounds like you'll need to yank the trans to get to the bottom of the issue.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Teching In

Do NOT slip the clutch!!! I know exactly what you are going through. 4th at 80 will turn to worse. It sounds like a brake fluid leak. I blew out a slave, and after replacing it, it slipped its *** off. Brake cleaner will clean out the brake fluid and/or oil trapped up in there. But I only warn you not to slip the clutch because you will score the flywheel and glaze the clutch, and vice versa. A spec clutch is a bad motha, don't hurt her.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Spec is a Joke....After talking to Spec last week about my issue they told me to sand and clean the surface off the pressure plate and flywheel, after doing so the clutch is still slipping and now specs telling me that my clutch is not covered under warranty anymore. I bought the clutch in March and it only has 2k miles on it. How can they have such a shitty product and bad customer service. Has anyone else had issues with spec and their warranty if so, what did you do to resolve the problem.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear this John..There are a TON of people who have had problems with them..That's why I forsee them not being in business with the lack of customer support, sub-par product, and just the basic "I really don't give a FU#K attitude...Whatever happens I hope it works out for the best....
Old 10-17-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
Sorry to hear this John..There are a TON of people who have had problems with them..That's why I forsee them not being in business with the lack of customer support, sub-par product, and just the basic "I really don't give a FU#K attitude...Whatever happens I hope it works out for the best....
Thanks Chris, I think i'm going to send them the clutch back and hope they approve it for warranty, either way i'm going to be getting a diffrent clutch most likely Textralia.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

I had a slave fail on my Spec 3 back around March and if the slave fails, you'll know! Not only will the fluid be low, but the pedal will be soft and you'll have to push it all the way to the floor for it to release. When you get a pin hole leak in a hydraulic system, it's not a few drops that comes out, it literally flows/shoots out. It saturated my clutch in no time and glazed the dis and flywheel over. The PP was surprisingly fine, but it was too late.

It started out slipping in 5th and 6th at low rpms and while I was waiting for the new clutch to come in (about a week) it started slipping in every gear. From my experiences, do not slip a Spec stage 3 clutch. When you ease the pedal out, let it just let it engage. Don't yank your foot off the pedal persay, but let it grab. It might be jerky, but it'll probably last longer. I've noticed when I slip it a few times in stop and go traffic and it gets hot, that's when all the chatter starts.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

But I need to let it slip to keep the RPM's up so I don't bog out of the line....damn turbo cars
Old 10-17-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
But I need to let it slip to keep the RPM's up so I don't bog out of the line....damn turbo cars
That sounds like a tuning issue. What rear gears/tire size do you have? Are you talking about on the street or at the track? That could be a whole other thread.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs down

Spec sucks