Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Clutch Problems; HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clutch Problems; HELP!!!

I have installed a new RAM Powergrip clutch and pressure plate in my '98 WS6. Everything was replaced; flywheel, pilot bearing, slave cylinder/throw-out bearing assembly. I bled the slave cylinder, repeatedly. There were no air bubbles coming out. The pedal feels great.

However, it is difficult to get into reverse and slightly hard to get into first gear.

The clutch also engages AS SOON as you lift the pedal off the floor. I am not too concerned with this, but I don't want to hurt the gears or trans, by forcing it into reverse.

ANY suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

All of my new clutches started out exactly as you describe. Put some miles on it and the pedal release point should come up and gear selection should improve. You should typically be stopped when going in 1 or R anyway so it won't hurt anything if it's a little rough at first.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I have about 80 miles on it right now. I will give it some time, and see how it goes.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont have the same clutch (spec 3+). I did have Mti install it cause Im a wussie and wont do it myself. I didn't have any kind of problems what so ever. It could just be the brand of clutch you are using. When was the last time you changed your trans fluid? Perhaps its a tad low?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

The trans fluid was changed during this clutch job replacement. The clutch is a RAM Powergrip HD. I guess I will just drive it for a couple hundred miles, and see how it feels.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

umm how about looking at your previous thread and follow some of the advice in there before creating the exact same thread asking the same exact question?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=11

Put some more miles on it and I'm positive it will cure your problem.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Break it in well, then run the snot out of it and see what happens. I dont believe you'll hurt the gears. On the street you will ruin the syncros first and possibly bend the shift fork if forcing it into "gear". Gears are connected and are connected by a seperate pice with something they call dog teeth. This is what engages the gears when shifting. I belive this info is accurate. But check me out to be sure.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
umm how about looking at your previous thread and follow some of the advice in there before creating the exact same thread asking the same exact question?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=11

Put some more miles on it and I'm positive it will cure your problem.
I apologize for the numerous threads. I was getting desperate for some response. I just don't want to drive the vehicle, if I am doing more damage than necessary to the components.

I will just drive the vehicle for a couple of hundred miles, and see how it goes. I was really concerned with the difficulty of getting the trans into reverse.