Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New spec 3+ question grind (vette)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New spec 3+ question grind (vette)

I installed my new spec 3 + clutch. Corvette install. It was a pretty straight forward install and I had the motor out at the time made it real easy. Here is my question I have a slight GRIND going into 1st gear from neutral. So I call spec tech line for some info on what the problem could be. He asked me how many miles and I tell him maybe 2 miles/new and then he tells me this is normal? And it will get better. I find it hard to believe this is normal.

Is this normal?
Am I hurting my tranny?
When will the grind go bye bye?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:27 PM
FormerVendor

Mike, I am note sure who you spoke with (in truth it really doesn't matter) but I have a few questions and we can go from there. What flywheel is being used? Are you using new hydraulics? Let me know and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks,
Old 03-23-2007, 03:20 PM
9 Second Club

The flywheel is a new spec flywheel steel billet. (clutch/flywheel packaged together sealed)
My hydrolics have on 10,000 miles on them and fuction perfectly. I flushed them out very well and also have a long bleeder line to make bleeding and fluid changes simple.
I did however install a new slave because of the work involved to get to the clutch/slave. My only concern with the install was I used blue loctite for the pressure plate on the clutch. Thanks for looking into this.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im sort of having a small problem with this also. I had mine installed by a very reputable shop here that has done work for me in the past. My problem is that mine is kinda notchy going into second and it you dont put it into gear good enough, it pops out. This morning I was on the way to work and I actually grinded 3rd on a very gentle shift. I have NEVER ground a gear before today. Im thought it was me at first not paying attention... but now im wondering if its the clutch.

Im using a stock (turned) flywheel but I also had 2002+ hydraulics installed. What gives?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

My guess is that maybe you guys should have an aftermarket master with the clutch, I have a MCLeod with my 3+ and it has work flawlessly for me and now that its broke in real good its almost like a stock clutch to me.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like there is no shim behind the slave. If it is there then there might be a few high spot's on the clutch disk.Do some 1st gear take offs and see if it goes away as the clutch wears in.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah you need the shim, i forgot to ask that.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Where is the engagement point in terms of pedal travel for each of your cars?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is just a bit lower than the stock position. Maybe one incl lower. I kind of like it there too!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:45 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Sounds like there is no shim behind the slave. If it is there then there might be a few high spot's on the clutch disk.Do some 1st gear take offs and see if it goes away as the clutch wears in.
***The shim is not to be used in the corvette according to SPEC install paperwork.(only F-Body and GTO get the shim)
***Adjustable master is also not called for per spec paperwork.
***I really have not been able to drive car much just kind of rolling around driveway and front street. But it has gotten slightly better. I dropped the headers this weekend to gain access to clutch cover inspection. It appears all of my pressure plate bolts are just as they where when installed. My clutch engaugement point is just about same place it was when stock. If anything a little closer to floor. Makes me wonder new clutch you think would not have to go down as far?
***Big question is this normal as the SPEC tech had informed me of??? It has gotten slightly better as I have stated. Just concerned if I am hurting my tranny?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

I just installed my Spec 3+ in my vette a few weeks back. Same problem, the engagment point was on the floor. Fortunately I have a Mcleod Master, so a few turns later it was up where I like it.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:38 AM
B4C
Teching In

I have same problem, got about 400 mile on mine and it seems to be the same
Old 03-27-2007, 03:21 PM
FormerVendor

Mike, I suggest putting the requisit break-in miles on the unit and keep us posted. Give me a call if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 03-27-2007, 05:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Mike, I suggest putting the requisit break-in miles on the unit and keep us posted. Give me a call if you have any further questions. Thanks,
I dont mean to be a pain in the ***. But my question has not been answered. ""Is this normal for me to have this slight grind with the spec 3+ in the vette when going from neutral to 1st?"" As per spec tech line. Or am I hurting my transmission?

SPEC-01, Are you a spec tech? If I call spec tech line should I request to speak with you? Just curious what your relationship with SPEC is?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikep2002
I dont mean to be a pain in the ***. But my question has not been answered. ""Is this normal for me to have this slight grind with the spec 3+ in the vette when going from neutral to 1st?"" As per spec tech line. Or am I hurting my transmission?

SPEC-01, Are you a spec tech? If I call spec tech line should I request to speak with you? Just curious what your relationship with SPEC is?
Grinding is never normal.

SPEC-01 is a SPEC rep.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:42 AM
10 Second Club

You may want to talk with Jeremy at Spec. He is Spec-01 and a good person to deal with. I had some issues that he helped me resolve and everything is up and going again!
Old 03-28-2007, 03:58 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd start out in 2nd gear a couple times to break in the clutch, you will be amazed at how much better the car will shift into 1st once the new clutch is broken in. The Spec Stage 3+ is about the only clutch we use, and once they are broken in, they work very well. Bob
Old 03-28-2007, 05:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

***The shim is not to be used in the corvette according to SPEC install paperwork.(only F-Body and GTO get the shim)
***Adjustable master is also not called for per spec paperwork.
***I really have not been able to drive car much just kind of rolling around driveway and front street. But it has gotten slightly better. I dropped the headers this weekend to gain access to clutch cover inspection. It appears all of my pressure plate bolts are just as they where when installed. My clutch engaugement point is just about same place it was when stock. If anything a little closer to floor. Makes me wonder new clutch you think would not have to go down as far?
***Big question is this normal as the SPEC tech had informed me of??? It has gotten slightly better as I have stated. Just concerned if I am hurting my tranny?
Thats your problem right there The Vette's do need the shim The paperwork is wrong. Been there,done that.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:09 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, I am a SPEC rep and I never said that grinding was normal. My response of breaking the unit in is related to the possibility that he has a disc that has a high edge. This is not common but it can happen. Should this be the case then miles will eliminate the problem. As I mentioned to Mike, an issue that affects one gear is unlikely clutch related...but providing the benefit of the doubt I still suggest completing the break-in process. He says that the issue has gotten better with miles (remember his can has less than 5 miles on it when we spoke). I am sure that he will post more info as miles are added. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

As for Vette's in need of shims, Mikes pedal is not low, it sits mid-way up the travel. This alone is evidence that he does not need the shim. I know of 3 Corvette owners that need the shim in their cars and in each instance the pedal was evidently low (about a quarter inch off the floor). I hope this clarifies things. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

Quick Reply: New spec 3+ question grind (vette)