Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Air in slave cylinder??????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air in slave cylinder??????????

My car is hibernating in the driveway right now, it will not go into gear with the engine running but will go into anyone when it is off, and I think its air in the line from the slave cylinder to the clutch. Am i going in the right direction or is there any suggestions on what might be the problem? Is there anyone who knows a website or where a right up will be on how to bleed the clutch with detailed instructions with pics. What do yall think about power bleeding, whats the best? Any info will help
Old 04-15-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Bleed it manually. There are instructions on how to bleed in the sticky at the top of this forum.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And it can take a while, or refuse to bleed. If you've worked at it following the instructions for a half hour or more, and it ain't solid again, order a slave.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

I think my throw out bearing was goin out, do u think it could also be that?? when the car is on and i push in the clutch, and try to put it in gear the car starts to move forward slowly, but will not engauge into gear fully. the clutch pedal is very hard to push to the floor too??? Ill try to bleed it first!
Old 04-15-2007, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Ok i blead the system today, and my clutch pedal feels a little better, but still wont go into gear, soo im thinkin it should be the master or slave! how do u get to the slave, do u have to pull the transmission?? Any Advice will help never had this problem!!
Old 04-15-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RedLS
Ok i blead the system today, and my clutch pedal feels a little better, but still wont go into gear, soo im thinkin it should be the master or slave! how do u get to the slave, do u have to pull the transmission?? Any Advice will help never had this problem!!
Gott apull the tranny to get the slave out. if you arer going to do all of that you might as well install a new clutch assy and slave.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Plannin on it if I gotta go through all that ****! Im thinkin about ls7 clutch and ls2 flywheel (stock motor, but not for long!) is there a way to tell if the problem is commin from the master or the slave? HOW????
Old 04-16-2007, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

I ordered a stock master cyl. today, Im gonna do the drill mod, and make it adjustable, before I install it! I hope this is the problem, or else im gonna have to pull the tranny....damn!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

If your old master cyl wasnt leaking fluid it more than likely is not your problem.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
If your old master cyl wasnt leaking fluid it more than likely is not your problem.
Well its not the master, soo is there any sponsors who sell a upgraded or performance slave??? or is gm parts the best??
Old 04-28-2007, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
Gott apull the tranny to get the slave out. if you arer going to do all of that you might as well install a new clutch assy and slave.
Shoulda took ur advice an replace the clutch, while I had the tranny out! I replaced my whole hydrolic system an stilll the same problem! An im guessin if its not the clutch its time to rebuild the transmission, but the tranny just got rebuilt 20,000 miles ago. WTF!??????? Clutch?? Its been a long day lol
Old 04-28-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the slave isn't leaking fluid it's not bad. You'll know if it's leaking because it will be leaking out of the slit between the gear box and bellhousing. When you installed the master did you put it in bench bled with the reservoir attached and full?

I'm assuming by now you've got all new fluid in the system. If not, check the condition of the fluid, should be basically clear and free of contaminates. It's not your throwout.You'll hear noise when you engage the clutch if the throwout is bad. Either you have a bad hydraulic component, air or contaminates in the system, or your pressure plate isn't releasing. A very unlikely possibility is that the input shaft is binding up against the pilot bearing because of an alignment issue. This would cause the input shaft to turn when it shouldn't be.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike44138
If the slave isn't leaking fluid it's not bad. You'll know if it's leaking because it will be leaking out of the slit between the gear box and bellhousing. When you installed the master did you put it in bench bled with the reservoir attached and full?

I'm assuming by now you've got all new fluid in the system. If not, check the condition of the fluid, should be basically clear and free of contaminates. It's not your throwout.You'll hear noise when you engage the clutch if the throwout is bad. Either you have a bad hydraulic component, air or contaminates in the system, or your pressure plate isn't releasing. A very unlikely possibility is that the input shaft is binding up against the pilot bearing because of an alignment issue. This would cause the input shaft to turn when it shouldn't be.
Yes, i fully bench bled the master, when i installed it, and i also power bled the system once it was all hooked up. I have the adjustable master set to the longest setting possible for maximum clutch movement but it still barely moves. im thinkin it is now a clutch issue like u said. Im gonna go ahead an order the fizd&$#(&@& ....whatever aluminum flywheel, an ls7 clutch an see what happens.. Ill keep posted..but any other suggestions are appreciated!!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you truely have the system bled completely then your next step would be the pressure plate. Good luck, let us know.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

I am finally gonnna get some time off to replace the clutch an flywheel, I got the fidanza aluminum flywheel in the mail the other day its f-in BADDDD, its so light! so tommorrow i will install every thing and pray that it works!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Ok finally i got the chance to install my new clutch, PP, an flywheel. The problem was deffinatly the clutch PP an flywheel, when i pulled the tranny the last time the PP teeth looked fine, but when i pulled it off last weekend half of them were in an the other half were out, ohh it was nasty! then i went ahead an removed the PP an clutch disk an it looked like my flywheel had herpes, Hotspots everywhere! lol I installed everything an it is running fine now!!!! much quicker revs, I like!!!!!! I had hell puttin the transmission back in though, I guess the disk was a little off. I broke a piece off of the bellhousing whle attempting to snug the bolts down while still manevering the tranny in place, does anyone out there have an extra one they want to sell or websites i can order from, I cannot find these things!?!?!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The bellhousing is expensive. When I was troubleshooting a problem I ended up getting a new one from gmpartsdirect and I think it was around $300.00 or so. Then when that wasn't the problem I "sold" my old one to some jackass up here that didn't pay.