Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bleeding clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bleeding clutch

Bleeding the new slave the manual way. When I crack the bleeder, brake fluid comes out the bleeder through the socket and drains down the side of the transmission. Everything I read said its supposed to drain out the bottom of the bellhousing. Is something wrong?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the fluid is riding the socket out to where it can drip onto the bell housing... Like water along a string...

Ide rather it run outside the bell housing than have it dripping down inside of it.

Unless Im missing something...

Justin
Old 05-01-2007, 09:55 AM
On the tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an idea on this the other night that would make it easier to do this.

take a deep well socket in the right size. Get a nut that will fit on the outside of it and have it welded onto the socket. Then you can run the tubing thru the center of the socket and use the nut on the outside with a box wrench to open and close the bleeder.

This would allow the fluid to bleed out and into a catch can instead of inside the tranny bellhousing.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have an "exo-wrench" or "thru-wrench" that does essentially that. I havent tried it for bleeding yet, but Im replacing my master so Ill get to try it out. Just have to figure otu how to secure a hose onto the bleeder hole. GOnna just try a cone shaped fitting and jamb it in there.

Justin
Old 05-01-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Either way, you'll also get some leakage at the threads where the bleeder screws into the slave. That fluid will still run down and come out the gap in the bottom of the bellhousing.

SilverSierra: That's normal, just don't panic if you see some fluid leak out the bottom also. When you crack the bleeder, it's pretty loose at the threads so even if most of it comes out onto your socket, you'll still get some inside too.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just used a 1/4in drive ratchet, shallow socket, and my wife to pump the clutch. Open bleeder, push pedal in, close bleeder, release pedal, repeat as needed. I did it 5 times after bench bleeding my new master. Worked great. Had it done and bled in about 10 minutes. Not sure why everyone thinks it's difficult.

To the issue of it draining down the side, the fluid will squirt out of the middle of the bleeder. The socket probably just pushed far enough away from the bleeder to let most fluid drain to the outside. Not a bad thing. I had it draining inside and out.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Murdock
Either way, you'll also get some leakage at the threads where the bleeder screws into the slave. That fluid will still run down and come out the gap in the bottom of the bellhousing.

SilverSierra: That's normal, just don't panic if you see some fluid leak out the bottom also. When you crack the bleeder, it's pretty loose at the threads so even if most of it comes out onto your socket, you'll still get some inside too.
Thanks, thats what i figured
Old 05-02-2007, 07:37 AM
On the tree

What size is the bleeder valve?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to say it was an 11mm or something odd ball like that.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

YEA i believe u use an 11mm, i used a quarter inch drive.fluid leaked all over my arms when i did it, its no worry.
get the bleeder extension if you ever remove tranny its nice

Quick Reply: Bleeding clutch