Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need new slave and master- which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need new slave and master- which ones?

I need a new slave and master and was wondering what everyone else has had good results with. I know I am getting a new GM slave, but which master should I go with and why.

Also do the aftermarkert masters- have the lines attached, and do they need the drill mod done?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just went through this also and i decided to go with the factory GM master. I was told by many experienced tranny builders that it is best to just go back with the GM master. They told me that they had experienced many problems with other aftermarket masters. I also did searches and found a lot of different opinions some said they same thing i just stated and some were happy with there Mcleods etc. Well this is what i found when i was trying to decide, so hope it helps. Goodluck.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 AM

What exactly does an adjustable master cylinder do? What does it adjust??
Old 05-09-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PunkNPonys
I just went through this also and i decided to go with the factory GM master. I was told by many experienced tranny builders that it is best to just go back with the GM master. They told me that they had experienced many problems with other aftermarket masters. I also did searches and found a lot of different opinions some said they same thing i just stated and some were happy with there Mcleods etc. Well this is what i found when i was trying to decide, so hope it helps. Goodluck.

Ya I have been leaning towards the stock GM stuff. I have hear may stories both ways. My pedal pressure is just right, so I really don't think a adjustable master is what I would need.

I saw WS6 store has the 01+ slave for like 119- anyone have any experience with that product from them, as they are a lot cheaper than others I have found. Possibly rebuilt?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ima get mines
What exactly does an adjustable master cylinder do? What does it adjust??
It allows you to adjust your pedal height.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Has anyone used the ram slave? or any comments on it.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by PunkNPonys
It allows you to adjust your pedal height.

So its just a comfort thing? Some people like it low, some high?
Old 05-09-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The WS6store slaves are new in box. The adjustable m/c allow you to adjust the pedal height to your liking as said above. Some people like it to engage right off the floor, while some like it to engage while near the top.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Hi, Just for knowadge. And also asking for some knowladge here. I bought a master from Advance Autoparts. New, not a rebuild. Cost was very resonable, compared with the dealers cost. Parts #'s on it was the same, made by Raybestos. Dosent' come with the hose or resivour. Yes the price you see is what I paid for it. Please look. Had to call the free # to order it straight from the manufacture. Online said it wasn't in stock & call the #. I did & ordered it. Who makes the part for GM? Any one know? I don't mind paying for qualty parts. Don't worry about paying someone their due on supplying a quality part,they have bills too. Mark-ups. I do have a prob with buying a sub-standard part that only gives greif. My time & labor is so called doing for free. But still. I don't want to re-do again the effort to get it right. I wanted to do it right the 1st time & be done with it. Thoughts? Dave
Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

I went with all new stock stuff, GM master and slave. I tried the Mcleoud master with my old slave and it didn't work out real well. After putting all new stock parts on, I have not even had to bleed the system after install. I did bench bleed it though

Quick Reply: Need new slave and master- which ones?