Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

A T56 where it's never been before, a few Q's...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A T56 where it's never been before, a few Q's...

Hello everyone, Eric here, and I've got a few simple questions about T56's. Here's what I'm doing, and it's never been done before: I'm putting an LT1 T56 in my 1956 Packard, behind the original engine. (a supercharged 374 putting out about 450 HP and 450+ Lb-Ft of torque) I'm building a custom bellhousing made from the rear half of the bell T56 and the front half of the Packard auto. (which is aluminum, luckily) I've been doing some reading on here about CAGS, reverse lockout solenoids, etc, and I have a few q's. I'm assuming that the reverse lockout keeps the trans out of reverse until it's powered, is this correct? If so, I apparently can do what others have done, and hook it up to the brakelite switch.

The numbers off my tag on the trans are as follows:

12550647 D2042
13-86-009 B 24830

Tag is green if it matters.

As for CAGS, do I just ignore it, remove it, or???? (I don't want it, personally)

Is the small switch, on the passenger's side of the trans the backup light switch?

AND, lastly, how hard is it to swap out the input shaft for an LS1 input shaft? I want to keep the throwout fork and the front endplate, and plan on using a pull type slave cylinder to pull the fork rearward, instead of pushing it as the LT1 originally did. I'd also like to have the longer shaft, to give me a little more room to work with. (and who doesn't want a longer shaft??)

The reason why I'm going this route is I already have the trans, and figure I'll work with what I have.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:45 PM
wrencher

You are correct with the reverse lockout solenoid operation.
You can just leave the CAGS disconnected, not usefull anyway.
Just locks out 2nd gear & forces a 4th gear engagment.
The switch on the passenger side is the reverse light switch.
It is not hard to remove the front plate & just get the input out. I think the bearings are the same, never reallly looked into if it could be done. But it is not hard to pop the front & get the input shaft out.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. As for the front cover, are there any surprises I'm in store for? Bearings falling out, springs flying, etc? Will I need a new gasket for it? I'm used to working on 50+ year old transmissions here, this will be the newest trans I've ever been into.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 PM
wrencher

No suprises. it will just slide apart, the race/with shims might come out but thats it.
You will need to check the endplay all over again though.
Do you have the manual for the T-56?
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-56.asp

You can use a form a gacket RTV to seal it back up. I recommend a quality RTV.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The swap of an LS1 shaft into that LT1 trans and retain the front adater plate will require rework of the plate. The LS1 gear face is wider and you will have to machine the bearing pocket deeper into the housing. This will weaken the casing somewhat but the only way to get the results you desire.That LT1unit is factory rated at 400lb-ft but if you don't try to do wheel stands with the car you should get good service. Of course ,the LS1 input shaft is also longer but since you will be fabricating a bell anyway, you can accomodate the change in that component.
BTW when you fabricate that bell, count on a finish machine cut of 10 thou on both faces to true them up after welding. Die casings move everywhere when welded.
That is a fairly old unit.. April 20. 1994. You may want to upgrade the blockers & 3/4 shift fork while you have it appart.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Thanks again everyone. It looks like adding an LS1 input shaft is going to be harder than making an extended pilot bearing, so I'll leave the trans be.

Thanks for the link wrencher, and yes, I've already got the manual for it.

As for the 400 Lb-Ft rating, I was afraid of that, but I never planned on doing wheel stands with the car, as it weighs 4800 lbs, and is about 20 ft long! My plan is to make a nice highway cruiser that will keep up with modern traffic and return decent milage to boot. I don't plan on hard shifting it, just nice cruising.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a contact for the machine work the pocket will onlt need 1 hundred thou cut.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Teching In

A .001" cut isn't as bad as I was afraid of. Now, all I need to do is find is an LS1 input shaft. Anyone know of a regular throwout bearing that is short and fits the LT1 input tube?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought the point of this post was to use the LT1stuff ...why not the LT1 T-O bearing?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by calhoon
I thought the point of this post was to use the LT1stuff ...why not the LT1 T-O bearing?
I thought it was part of the pressure plate, and attaches to the pressure plate? That's why I was asking. If it's not, and is available separately, then I'll use it if it fits my pressure plate, which is a Ford Long style. Remember, I've never messed with one of these before, and want to get everything figured out before I start cutting the bellhousing. Thanks for all the input though, it's GREATLY appreciated!!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem. The T-O is a separate piece . Cool project. I'ld like to see pics of the conversion.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW the most odd install Ive seen of an LS1/T56 is in a old military weasle.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Well, I guess I can't compete with a weasel! But, I think that this conversion will turn quite a few heads, although the wife says I already get that enough.

BTW, this isn't the first conversion of a T56 to a Packard engine, the first one was done by a Packard friend of mine who put a Viper trans in his '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk, which originally had a 352 Packard V8 and a T85 3 speed. This WILL be the first one done in a Packard car, however. Good info on the T/O bearing, I'll try and see if I can dig one up and see how close it is.

Quick Reply: A T56 where it's never been before, a few Q's...