Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Having trouble getting into gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having trouble getting into gear

I'm having trouble getting into gear, especially 1st and reverse from a stop. when I'm moving the shifting isn't too bad but its not buttery smooth like it was before. For reference I have a McLeod street twin, brand new McLeod MC and brand new GM Slave w/ the drill mod.

After beating on the car at a track rental in March I was having problems getting into first and reverse. So I pulled the driveline and replaced my busted pilot bearing with a new one, put in a new McLeod master cylinder and installed a new GM slave. I bench bleed everything and when I put the car back together it shifted amazing. Nice and smooth, it was better then the day I bought it.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago I was at the corvette challange and made a couple of passes. When I got back into the pits all of a sudden I was having the same 1st/reverse problem as before. I'm able to drive the car around but shifting is very difficult.

I have the car up on jackstands now with the bellhousing inspection plate removed and I can see that the clutch (both discs) are able to spin freely when the pedal is pushed so i don't believe its getting caught up on the pressure plate or intermediate plate. it looks like the slave has enough travel and the PP is releasing just fine.

what would cause everything to work fine one minute and then all of a sudden after a 1/4mile pass, which I didn't grind gears or shift fast, give me problems getting into gear? I'm open for suggestions... is there any other diagnostic stuff I can do to narrow it down?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

That is the EXACT same problem I have... Hard to go into 1st or rev from a stop, and all gears are sorta tough to get into, shifting is SLOW. I have a new gm master with a stock slave and a centerforce clutch. If you figure this out please let me know... I am dying to get this thing back to it's original shifting state.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is your line close to the headers?
Old 05-27-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

the clutch line is tucked out of the way and also heat wrapped with DEI thermoshield.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lt1_fool
That is the EXACT same problem I have... Hard to go into 1st or rev from a stop, and all gears are sorta tough to get into, shifting is SLOW. I have a new gm master with a stock slave and a centerforce clutch. If you figure this out please let me know... I am dying to get this thing back to it's original shifting state.
did you replace the pilot bearing when you had it apart?

did you do anything that 'all of a sudden' gave you a problem? for me it was after doing some 1/4mile passes, before that everything worked great.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

I think I found the problem.

on my McLeod street twin only 2 of the 3 PP fingers are touching the slave cylinder. the one finger is sitting about 1/4" lower then the other 2 and doesn't have full travel. so I think what happens is when I press the clutch pedal down the PP isn't fully disengauging the clutch discs.

bummer, looks like I'll have to take the tranny out again.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

You described my car to the tee....
And then when I went to move her out of the garage to clean up today...
I had to put it in gear then start it and move it, will not go into any gear while running.

it progressed to this point very quickly. She was my DD until a month or so ago.

I am in the process of getting a list together for a new clutch and all the trimmings.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

they say a picture is worth 1k words so here you go, this is what I was talking about...

this is the bad PP finger

and this is a good one

this is the 2 good fingers out of the 3 total

and this is one good finger with the bad finger

Old 05-27-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

I used a feeler gauge to measure the clearance between the discs and the PP and intermediate plates. sure enough I had just about .025 clearance on the sides with good fingers and on the side with the bad finger I couldn't even get the gauge in there.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Alwaysinboost, I actually just bought the car, and it was doing this when I got it. It was a good deal, so even with a trans rebuild, it would have still been worth it. If I just have to drop the trans, replace the slave, and make sure everything is setup correctly, that would be awesome.

I'll get under the car this week sometime and take a look. Thanks for the pics!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

with my situation it isn't a problem with the slave, its the clutch pressure plate thats busted.

depending on your symptoms it could be the same problem as me or something totally different. i'd suggest starting a thread about it if you already haven't.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

damn i'm having some of the same problems

Quick Reply: Having trouble getting into gear