Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

BIG problem after getting on it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy BIG problem after getting on it.

well here goes. I was on my way to work and decided to romp on the 30th a little. I was rolling about 5mph I pushed in the clutch, floored the throttle, and let out the clutch. The car kind of wheel hopped and hased the nittos a little. I drive one block to my work and shut it off. I leave from work and notice that the car rolled ever so slightly with the clutch in, while in gear. As I shift gears I notice that 1-2-3-4-5 didnt try 6th, are very hard to get in 3rd being the worst. I also notice that when in gear the shifter is slightly looser than it was before all this. Upshifting and downshifting is hard to get in. Clutch doesnt slip at all and no fluid is leaking. Got home and parked it. Next day I see if it is any worse. Cant get into reverse with motor running. but can with it off. Last thing I noticed was when the car it off the left to right detent into reverse is harder than it use to be and kind of has a grooved feel from the detent to the far right of the horizontal movement. Clutch doesnt smell, fluid is full and looks good. I was told the trany is a viper spec T-56 with mcloed single disk. Dont know about the pressure plate and flywheel.

Clutch asts like its not dissengaging all the way.

Please help.

anyone ever had this happen?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your mounts to see if you might have snapped the tranny mount or an engine mount from the wheel hop.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

let me go check real quick, wouldnt think that would cause the clutch to not dissengage fully
Old 07-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

just checked the mounts and they all look ok. The only thing I noticed was the braided cable that has the square fitting is a little loose going into the slave.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

What your describing to me sounds like a hydraulic issue. If you arent slipping and you can get into gear smooth with the engine off, sounds like the clutch isnt dis-engaging all the way.

When you popped the clutch, you could have f'ed something in the master or slave. Im not 100% familiar with the LT1 set up...so you gotta do some checking on that.

As for reverse not going over as easy...is that with the key off? With the key off, the reverse lockout solenoid is going to make it hard to get OVER into the gate for reverse. Going up into reverse should feel the same...you will most likely have to two hand it to get it over to reverse though. Should go away with the key on. That "grooved" feel sounds like you are just feeling the solenoid pushing in manually.

I would check over the hydraulics. I dont know the bleed procedure for an LT1...but it sounds like that would be a good place to start.

Good luck!

Justin
Old 07-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Staging Lane

cool man, thanks. the reverse thing is with the key off. It didnt feel like that before. But yes the car drives, its just hard to get into every gear. and the car boggs about 200 rpm when stopping in gear with clutch in and will roll bairly with the brake off. Going into gear did seem like it got worse the farther I drove on the way home. The only thing that really worries me is the fact that the shifter is loose in every gear, not real loose, just not normal.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not saying you arent feeling things that are wrong, but sometimes when one little thing doesnt work right in my car, I start to notice a whole bunch of inconsitancies with other parts. Because before I wasnt even paying attention, and now Im LOOKING for things to be wrong. Just the way the human mind works. BUT...you definetly have something wrong, and Im betting its either hydros or your fubar'd your clutch assembly somehow. Either way you are going to need to do some dianosis. I would start with the hydros because you dont need to drop the trans for that. But like I said, I know the LT1 hydraulic clutch is alittle weird with that extral slave. I read somewhere you cant bleed it normally or something?? Whatever the procedure is for servicing it, I would do that first. Or just replace it. If its still not working, look into the clutch itself.

here is another thing...again, not an LT1 expert. With that trans, there is a clutch fork type set up correct? The slave pushes inon the fork and it releases the clutch. Is it possible that the quick hard push from the clutch bent the fork? Ive heard of "bent clutch forks" in 5.0 stangs... Just another idea.

Justin
Old 07-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

im going to try and bleed the system when I get some free time and after I learn how to do it. The clutch fork thing is interesting. That road was very rough and caused the car to barily spin and wheel hop instead of lighting the tires up. ill look into bent clutch forks also. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: BIG problem after getting on it.